Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the low-down.

I swapped the tranny in my MY02 for another (the replacement may be an '03 beause it looks brand new; is there a way to tell?). I installed everything correctly according to the FSM (reverse switch is the grey plug on the lower left driver's side, neutral plug is the upper right).

This is the problem. When in 1-5th gear the reverse lights come one. When in reverse, they turn off. I have two sets of sensors and harnesses (tranny) and I've tried them all with no luck.

I know I installed it correctly, as this is my second tranny swap. Basically, the reverse gear switch is giving the signal at the opposite time it should be. I'm thinking something is backwards in the tranny. I have no clue as far as internals go (The shop did take the case off to inspect).

Any help would be appreciated as I just took out the reverse bulbs to I can drive without getting tickets (it makes reversing scary because no one knows what you're doing).

-C

·
Registered
325 Posts
The only thing I can think of is if the tranny is from an 03 and they changed the switch used in the tranny for the reverse sensor. Something along the lines of normally open on the 02 would leave the light off and closed would turn it on. But on the 03, they are using a normally closed to leave the light off and open to turn it on. That's just a guess though. The best way to find out would be if you can get a multimeter to test the switch in the tranny and see what you get.

Calvin

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cnk said:
The only thing I can think of is if the tranny is from an 03 and they changed the switch used in the tranny for the reverse sensor. Something along the lines of normally open on the 02 would leave the light off and closed would turn it on. But on the 03, they are using a normally closed to leave the light off and open to turn it on. That's just a guess though. The best way to find out would be if you can get a multimeter to test the switch in the tranny and see what you get.

Calvin
You know, that's what I thought however I have both the harness and sensor from the old tranny and new one and have swapped them with no change. It's reallly getting annoying. I might have to make a switch for the lights that I press everytime I reverse! :(

No, before I did that I would just make a circuit to switch the signal.

I've been driving this way for a few months already, but finally decided to get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you have the time, try testing it with a multimeter. That should tell you if they did indeed change out to a different type of switch. If so, you can either swap it with the old tranny or you can probably wire in a relay.

Calvin

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cnk said:
If so, you can either swap it with the old tranny or you can probably wire in a relay.

Calvin
I already tried both sensors. Btw, I'm the only Calvin in these parts. :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update, I'm getting an intermittent CEL "Neutral position switch voltage low" every day or so.

I logged that switch on the delta dash and it is "ON" in neutral or 1-5th gear. It turns "OFF" when I put it in reverse. I sounds like something is really a miss.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just did the same thing but an 04 into an 03 car and had the same prob.
My speed plug broke and I just installed a new one. Just waiting to see if that fixed the reverse light issue.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, old thread! As this was 7 yrs ago, I forgot how I resolved it. IIRC, I just swapped the sensors and it worked (YMMV).

As a work around, I removed the reverse bulbs so I didn't get into wrecks (which in itself was dangerous).

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Holy thread from the dead Batman!

Most of you probably don't even get this reference. I'm old. In the original Batman TV series Robin used to say something like that all the time whenever there was something interesting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts