Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just about to hit 3 thousand miles and still in love with this car. I was curious about downshifts some people say to rev match and others like my dad say it's not necessary. So should I be rev matching all my downshifts or just let the rpms fall low and shift without reving?

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
If you're downshifting to get torque out of a corner, rev match. If you're driving to the grocery store, it's not that necessary.

Some people try to match every shift. It's all in your driving style.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I typically blip the throttle. It's easier on the clutch as it doesn't have to spin the engine up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
I just drive everywhere near redline so I never have to shift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
I don't go around heel-toe shifting everywhere, but I rev-match every downshift. Failure to do so will put unnecessary wear on the clutch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't go around heel-toe shifting everywhere, but I rev-match every downshift. Failure to do so will put unnecessary wear on the clutch.
Yeah but if you don't get the rev matches perfect Everytime will it wear more than shifting without rev matching

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
I rev match every downshift, and engine brake every decel.. hell, sometimes I'll even heel toe. It's fun, and I feel like it's good practice.

If it's something you want to do, and you miss every now and then, keep practicing. Is it necessary? Not really. That's what the syncros are for.. but the less you rely on the syncros, the longer they will last. You could even shift without the clutch at all if you wanted, but I wouldn't expect the syncros to last very long if you did it on a regular basis.

Rev matching it pretty easy in my car.. stab the throttle all the way to the floor and immediately release. Near perfect every time. But obviously that's not going to be the case with every car.

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
How do you figure that?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I rev match every downshift, and engine brake every decel.. hell, sometimes I'll even heel toe. It's fun, and I feel like it's good practice.

If it's something you want to do, and you miss every now and then, keep practicing. Is it necessary? Not really. That's what the syncros are for.. but the less you rely on the syncros, the longer they will last. You could even shift without the clutch at all if you wanted, but I wouldn't expect the syncros to last very long if you did it on a regular basis.

Rev matching it pretty easy in my car.. stab the throttle all the way to the floor and immediately release. Near perfect every time. But obviously that's not going to be the case with every car.
Yeah 2017 WRX.. if I push it to the ground its way over lol

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Yeah 2017 WRX.. if I push it to the ground its way over lol

I would think it would be lower considering my lightened rotating assembly.. when I say to the floor, I mean in an instant, as virtually as fast as possible, immediately foot off the pedal entirely.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
I do a different form of rev matching. I just shift into whatever gear is appropriate for the speed the car is moving. unless performance driving, there is no need to downshift at all. I mean you can do it, but there is no "need" for regular driving. When stopping, I shift to neutral let out clutch and brake to stop. When slowing for a turn I shift to neutral let clutch out coast to just before turn then select new gear to go through turn. Sometimes I do blip the throttle. If performance driving, others have covered methods.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
When stopping, I shift to neutral let out clutch and brake to stop. When slowing for a turn I shift to neutral let clutch out coast to just before turn then select new gear to go through turn.

That's one way to do it, and probably results on the least wear on the driveline. I just can't bring myself to drive like that. To me it feels unsafe to not have the car in gear with the engine connected to the wheels.

·
1,611 Posts
Yeah, I do give up instant access to the throttle, but in 37 years of driving like this I have yet to need it faster than I can put it back in gear.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do a different form of rev matching. I just shift into whatever gear is appropriate for the speed the car is moving. unless performance driving, there is no need to downshift at all. I mean you can do it, but there is no "need" for regular driving. When stopping, I shift to neutral let out clutch and brake to stop. When slowing for a turn I shift to neutral let clutch out coast to just before turn then select new gear to go through turn. Sometimes I do blip the throttle. If performance driving, others have covered methods.
How low do u drop the rpms before shifting into the lower gear. Like if you were going from 4th to 3rd would u drop to like 2 thousand rpms and the shift down to 3rd. When I downshift without rev matching I get engine breaking and would like to avoid causing more shock on the clutch and engine

·
Registered
142 Posts
How low do u drop the rpms before shifting into the lower gear. Like if you were going from 4th to 3rd would u drop to like 2 thousand rpms and the shift down to 3rd. When I downshift without rev matching I get engine breaking and would like to avoid causing more shock on the clutch and engine
You need to learn the rpms for the gear you're going to select. I usually take my turns in 2nd gear so for me if I'm in 4th going 40 im at 2k rpms. If I have an up coming turn i slow down to about 25-30mph and im anywhere from 2.5k-3.5k rpms in 2nd gear depending on the turn

·
1,611 Posts
This is what I meant by "appropriate for the speed the car is moving." Like whitefang said, I just have memorized what gear I need at what speed. I use the speedometer instead of the tach, but the principle is the same. If I get much engine braking, I have chosen too low a gear and will choose a higher one next time for that corner. Plus at the same time I am letting the clutch out I am giving it just a little gas so as to match movement and not get much engine braking (or acceleration for that matter for me.)

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
It takes a while to get comfortable with the gear ratios and where to be when. Everyone prefers to keep it at a different rpm when they drive. I rarely exceed 3k, and try not to fall under about 1700.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Yeah, I do give up instant access to the throttle, but in 37 years of driving like this I have yet to need it faster than I can put it back in gear.....

Yeah, it's much more about me just feeling uneasy with it than it is about actual safety. Plus, at least when I would drive my WRX on the street, I drove with a certain amount of focus on honing my skills for the track. Not that I would drive fast at all, but I would pay close attention to smooth transitions, nailing my shifts, weight transfer, hitting the apex of turns without needing to make steering corrections mid turn, etc. I feel like every little bit helps.. and as a bonus, I would get REALLY good tread life out of my tires.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts