ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the dealer install an STi suspension kit when I first bought the base WRX about four months ago. They way over torqued the lug nuts at that time - I corrected this a few hours later. I just had the car at the dealer again; there was a slight shimmy only when braking. They resurfaced all four rotors at no charge. I have heard for years over torqued lug nuts can cause rotor warp. Maybe this was the case? After the resurfacing they are like new again.

On StopTech’s web site http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm it is stated there is no such thing as warped rotors: “In fact every case of "warped brake disc" that I have investigated, whether on a racing car or a street car, has turned out to be friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc.”.

If the rotors were damaged by overly tight lugs, will they continue to be problematic in the future? Anyone have similar experiences?

Thanks!

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
That is one of the few ways a rotor can actually be warped- over and improper torquing.

It's possible they could continue to be problematic, but you should know pretty soon after having the rotors turned- they would be bad pretty fast. If the braking is good, then the turning likley solved your problem- which could have been pad deposit.

Pad deposit is probably in the 90% + range of rotor problems.

Big Sky

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts