ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Official ClubWRX arms dealer
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start by saying, I just smoked a mustang from a dig....... I have had a love/ hate relationship with the SRT-4 for almost six months now and lately all I've been hearing is "How fast they are..." and "Mopar stage 2.736 gives you 396 WHP for 500 bucks, blah, blah, blah." I am currently running a Cobb stage 2 reflash, and Helix 3" catless system, U/P, and D/P. So today I sucked it up and went for it. It was make or break time, if I was super-impressed, I would buy it TODAY and start from 0....

Took a new 2004 black beauty off the lot and on to a divided main rd. Not to crazy about the driving position, I never got comfortable. My a$$ didn't fit in the seat all that well ( I'm 6', 220 lbs), the shifter was ok but the clutch felt so weird that I jerked a little between gears never able to find out exactly where it grabs. The car was FAST. From a roll in 2nd I pinned it onto the highway. Even in cruising 4th there was instant power available. I did not feel as secure in the handling aspects at speeds over 55 and for some reason I did not care much for the steering either, but they are very, VERY, easy to make FAST... :D

Now, I feel that the car is not as fast as my stage 2, but much faster than a stock WRX. It might be faster than the stg. 2 past 60 mph, but none of that matters now.......

Like I said, I just smoked the 5.0 from a dig, if I had bought the SRT-4, I would have done it from a roll.;) I was definately impressed with the power (especially on the freeway) and that was where it ended. Yeah, maybe you CAN make it a beast for a lot cheaper than the rex, but I cant see that as a trade-off for a cheaper feel, stinky clutch, uncomfortable seating position, and wrong-wheel drive. As soon as I got back in the seat of my rex I felt at home. That's when I had to make sure she still had what it takes and came across the loud ass fox-body. I'll be keeping my car for a little longer I guess.
:wiggles:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
My 65 year old uncle just got a SRT4...you should see the smile on his face as he unleashes the power of the beast within...very quick car indeed. He can peal out in 2nd gear barely trying...loads of torque. I still love my wrx more!!! and i havent even gone past 4k yet!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Speaking as a former Dodge Intrepid owner, I'll give that an "amen!"

By the time I hit 80,000 miles, the car blew an internal water pump, lost the transmission, and two sets of tie rod bushings...

"Dodge. When you really don't care if you don't get there."

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
yea, i agree the srt-4 is quick. also kinda rare, but im sure there will be more as the years go by. only reason i got the wrx instead of the srt4 wuz the 'all around' package. if i lived in a desert or someplace that never snowed, id be rolling down my rear windows right now :D . my bro has a 5.0 and if he has to drive in the winter, he'd have to start off in at least 3rd gear.

ill be test driving the srt4 soon, as soon as the dealer near me lets me. doesnt ppl like me (age) testing driving it:mad: . another reason y i didnt buy one.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Oh boy I hate starting flame wars, but for the love of god the SRT-4 is well built. I’m sorry I usually stay out of this stuff, but SRT-4 problems are not any more common then WRX problems. It’s sad that dodges reputation has followed them with this car, but the car is made very very strong. I don’t have the link, but their was a website with the complete details of how well built the engine is. Silverscoobys SRT-4 is starting to seriously push some good numbers and I haven’t heard of him having any catastrophic failures yet. Hell I haven’t had any horrible problems with my car yet either. Also I don’t even know if you can really compare things such as refinement and luxury in our cars. Lets face it the WRX nor the SRT-4 were built for the interiors, were not driving BMW's for christ sake. I’ve been in both cars and to me the interiors felt very much the same. Although I haven’t been in a 2005 WRX so I can’t comment on it.

However I will say that if I was forced to live in a snowy climate I would have gone with a WRX. As much as I love the SRT-4 I can see it being a hassle in snow and ice. Lucky I don’t have to deal with snow since I live in the middle of the freaking desert, so I suppose which car you choose greatly depends on what climate you live in. Don’t get me wrong I love the WRX infact I plan on buying a STi as a next car in the future years.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I will admit (as before) I wouldnt mind having it and was REALLY interested in it when I saw it announced for "Under $2000"

Imagine my suprise when I saw em at the dealer (while taking wifeys P.T in for service..les we forget<G>)............

$27000!

I will keep Twster for a long time now.

Shotgun

·
Registered
764 Posts
Jmd777 said:
Oh boy I hate starting flame wars, but for the love of god the SRT-4 is well built. I’m sorry I usually stay out of this stuff, but SRT-4 problems are not any more common then WRX problems. It’s sad that dodges reputation has followed them with this car, but the car is made very very strong. I don’t have the link, but their was a website with the complete details of how well built the engine is. Silverscoobys SRT-4 is starting to seriously push some good numbers and I haven’t heard of him having any catastrophic failures yet. Hell I haven’t had any horrible problems with my car yet either. Also I don’t even know if you can really compare things such as refinement and luxury in our cars. Lets face it the WRX nor the SRT-4 were built for the interiors, were not driving BMW's for christ sake. I’ve been in both cars and to me the interiors felt very much the same. Although I haven’t been in a 2005 WRX so I can’t comment on it.

However I will say that if I was forced to live in a snowy climate I would have gone with a WRX. As much as I love the SRT-4 I can see it being a hassle in snow and ice. Lucky I don’t have to deal with snow since I live in the middle of the freaking desert, so I suppose which car you choose greatly depends on what climate you live in. Don’t get me wrong I love the WRX infact I plan on buying a STi as a next car in the future years.
I don't doubt that the major things with the SRT-4 will last, especially the engine. However I can almost guarantee you in 4 or 5 years the SRT-4 will have lots of minor to slightly major problems compared to a japanese car, wear on parts, creaks, and other various things. The WRX will probably have some as well but less so. My father just got rid of his Intrepid and my stepmom has a PT Cruiser and after a little time they seem to slowly break down. When my father traded his intrepid in he really hadn't had any major problems, but the list of minors problems as well as the AC going out were to the point that it wasn't even worth trying to fix the car and it was a 2001. Same deal with the PT, it has 40k miles and the paint is bubbling up, the inetrior parts are looking rather worn and it doesn't sound so hot. Don't get me wrong, I like the SRT-4 quite a bit but it's just not going to be a car you try to hang on for for a long time unless you're the type of person that doesn't get bothered by all those little things.

·
Registered
226 Posts
AjIsDope said:
Actually it was this one: http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0310scc_projneon/index.html

but that one works to thanks AJ! :)

While I suppose the test of time will prove how the paint and other small parts fair I know that small things like that can be prevented. As Im sure you know Subaru's do have rather thin paint and we all know about the infamous dash ratttle. Overall The bottom line on this is really how well you want to mantain your car. It dosent really matter if you have a 10k Kia or a 50k BMW if you dont mantain it, its going to be a ****ty car either way.

·
Registered
236 Posts
before i bought my wrx...

these were the two cars i considered. i live in the wonderful northeast (boston) where it can snow the same day the temperatures were in the 80s. obviously my choice was the wrx.

the srt4 is blindingly fast and for the money, you get what you paid for. fast is just about all you get. still an awesome car nevertheless. i gotta admit the seats are cool but they'll get old. i wish i had a turbo gauge standard in my wrx. but having to live up here in snow country, an extra set of snow tires will run me another $1,000 which will push that car up to about $21k. after the sunroof option, make it about $22k. pretty much what i paid for for my wrx but minus 6-disc changer, awd, and japanese quality.

the wrx is plenty fast for me stock. i dont see myself getting anything for it except some better wheels.

oh yeah, i go snowboarding a handful of times per year. awd and wagon versatility played a factor too. right, and stealth appeal :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts