ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So I went to the dealer just this past Saturday to get my first oil change. The car was about 3500miles. Drove the car back home with approx. 50miles. and i havent driven since because I have a work truck. Well today I decided to take the car out for a spin and this is what I come home to see...

this is a somewhat closer look

So, my question to you all, especially the more mechanically inclined or have seen something like this before, is what do you think might be the source of the leak. Since it was only a oil change one can only assume that it is a loose oil filter or cracked washer on the drain plug... I checked the dipstick and it was full, but like i said i havent driven in a long time so it may just be a slow leak.

I have already called the dealer that I had the service performed at and told them the problem. They said to bring in the car. I told them that they should tow it for me because I dont want to risk it. They said to call Subaru roadside assist and have them tow it to the dealer and if it is "Their fault" they will pay for the towing. and they really emphasized on only if it was "their fault" would they pay for the tow.

How much of this can possibly be MY FAULT? maybe my fault for bringing it to that dealer... mistake learned

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,206 Posts
No matter how mechanically inclined we can't see through the bonnet. You'll have to ID the source and post back.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Could easily be 3 things:

1. They didn't change the drain plug gasket, or put a drain plug gasket on, or the drain plug is loose.
2 the oil filter is loose, or double gasketed
3. The oil fill plug is not on the oil fill tube.

There is obviously the possibility of mechanical error but more likely one of the above

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I'd check the filter and plug for tightness, try to see where the leak is coming from, then take it in. If you're worried about it running out of oil stop half way and check it.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
I'd check the filter and plug for tightness, try to see where the leak is coming from, then take it in. If you're worried about it running out of oil stop half way and check it.
Screw that, I'd make the dealer pay for a way for it to get there. Seeing a major leak like that on the ground, it's absolutely reasonable to suspect that the oil is low, and moving it will increase the risk of damage.

I leave absolutely no room to get screwed over by dealers, this one is on them, make them take care of it.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Yea.. I guess I'm just different. I would have done the oil change myself and saved the hassle all together.
Same here. Just saying, since the dealer made the mess, let them clean it up. :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
It's sad that you can't even take your vehicle to a dealer and have the oil changed with confidence it's done correct.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Wow dude, that sucks!! Was there any damage to the motor?

I guess from now on you'll be doing them yourself.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I saw that post in that other thread, I am definitely getting that. Worth a try for only $20.

·
Registered
105 Posts
We had a problem here. A new tech who no longer works here was puttin on oil filters too tight causing leaks. Sucks about your situation but it's not a shock. I had them do my oil at work in my dads truck and they never put his oil filler cap back on. I do all oil changes at home now. And yes I work at a Subaru dealer... And unfortunately my work sucks. Anyways good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so an update, subaru fixed the problem, it was a "defective oil filter" said the service guy. whatever that means... now i gotta go pick my baby up

1 - 20 of 22 Posts