ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think something is wrong with the float for my fuel gauge.

Recently my tank has been reading empty when I still have about 3 gallons left. It has been doing this for 3 tanks already. The first time freaked me out, because the gas light came on when I knew I should still have almost 100 miles till I ran out of gas.

Has anybody had these problems? Does the WRX have a 3 gallon reserve tank and I just noticed after 13k miles?

About how many gallons do you have left when the tank begins to read empty? I was in Canada and had one fill up of 91 octane but I don't think that should make any difference. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
99 Posts
My '04 wagon says that after the low light comes on, there's 2.7 gal left in the tank.

I just got 375 miles in my last tank. It took 14.85 gal to fill it. I was really on fumes!

After the light comes on, You should be able to go *about* 30-50 miles.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My light comes on when I have about 3 gallons left. Same thing with my last car (a Jeep). I think it comes on a little too early for me, but it would be stupid if it came on a couple minutes before you ran out of gas:D .

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, I guess the problem is widespread. I was going to have it checked out on Friday, but I probably won't now.

I just hate losing the car for the day only to have them tell me, "Oh, don't worry about that. It's normal."

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
EvilCerealBoX said:
how do you get 375 out of your tank? i can barely hit 300 when the fuel light comes on
My fuel light comes on at about 370. (note: untested with new mods, I may be in for a surprise as far as mileage goes...)

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
i agree with everyone , our gas gauge sucks. Also i get around 300 mpg....

There is one guy on the forum who got 415 mpg , all highway miles crusie control at around 70:eek: thats crazy

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Jack said:
i agree with everyone , our gas gauge sucks. Also i get around 300 mpg....

There is one guy on the forum who got 415 mpg , all highway miles crusie control at around 70:eek: thats crazy
Wow. I wish I got 415 miles per gallon! I'd have to fill up once every 6 months! :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ketchup said:
My '04 wagon says that after the low light comes on, there's 2.7 gal left in the tank.

I just got 375 miles in my last tank. It took 14.85 gal to fill it. I was really on fumes!

After the light comes on, You should be able to go *about* 30-50 miles.

my best was 377.9 on 14.085 gallons. i had plenty to go but my gas light already came on for a few miles. that is when i dont really beat up my car.

my last tank, completely opposite, i wind it hard countless times during the day and throughout the whole week. i only averaged 22mpg.

one guy got 422 in one tank. its possible, you just gotta use cruise control but dont coast over 70mph. i know i had over 2 gallons left when i had the 377.9 - i didnt want to push it because i had a long drive the day after.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently my 2002 WRX started to completely shut down on me after the reserve light was only on for about 15 miles. This has happened twice. I typically get about 23mpg, so I should be able to go closer to 50 miles on reserve. Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
...15 miles when you've got less than 2 gallons in the car...and you're complaining about running out of fuel?
Regardless of how conservative you drive, I've never over 20 miles when it comes on

·
Village Idiot
3,469 Posts
Holy thready revival..... This thread hasn't been posted on in 11 years. You should start your own thread instead of bringing one up from the deepest of graves.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
For the record, our cars don't have a "reserve" tank. They, like most manufacturers, calibrate the fuel gauge to read empty even with a good 2-3 gallons left. This is to prevent stranding people by the wayside. For example, with the needle against the "E" hardstop position, I still have 2 gallons left (out of a 17gallon tank).

Why people continue driving with the fuel light on is beyond me. I can't think of any rational reason to drive to fumes between fillups for normal driving. If the fuel light turns on, just pull over an fill. You won't be saving any money or time running right up to empty.

I can understand if someone is switching to E85 for a tune or something, and purposely runs the car dry at a shop to ensure the best possible fuel purity prior to a tune, but that's not a normal driving scenario.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts