ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new to having a car that I can work on, so I just want to here some owners honest opinions.

1. Are these cars as awful as people say (some of the mechanics that I am friends with say that these cars have a lot of problems with blown head gaskets)?
  2. Are these cars easy to work on?
  3. I want to create a weekend rally car, so should I buy new or used, and if used what year then?
  4. where do I look for parts to turn a stock car into a weekend rally car?
Hopefully someone on this forum can help me.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,668 Posts
1. Yes but not because of what your friends said. Usually it's gearboxes, ring lands, and other costly stuff due entirely to owners. Fear the owners.

2. No.

3. Never, EVER build a rally car. EVER. Buy a pre-built car with a full book! This way you'll know it at least passed tech last season. (Also, and this is really important so I don't want to forget: never build a rally car; buy one pre-built).

4. Contact Primitive Enterprises and ask them for a pre-built car with a log book, ready to go from last year.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,668 Posts
Oh! Sorry, I should have mentioned: don't build a rally car.

·
Premium Member
10,183 Posts
As serious as his answers are, what you are asking isn't really the wrx wheelhouse.

They are not particularly expensive to work on, but they can be difficult. The tuning is critical and tends to be finicky. Aftermarket parts can carry a heavy rice tax as well.

With that said, a mature driver who isn't driving it like a rally, not shifting at redline every time and keeping it maintained properly for it's use can see a good run out of it.

Also, the wrx is not a rally car. It's a compact econobox. Rally cars are magnitudes more expensive and are not really related outside of some body panels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As serious as his answers are, what you are asking isn't really the wrx wheelhouse.

They are not particularly expensive to work on, but they can be difficult. The tuning is critical and tends to be finicky. Aftermarket parts can carry a heavy rice tax as well.

With that said, a mature driver who isn't driving it like a rally, not shifting at redline every time and keeping it maintained properly for it's use can see a good run out of it.

Also, the wrx is not a rally car. It's a compact econobox. Rally cars are magnitudes more expensive and are not really related outside of some body panels.
That is mostly what I want, I am not looking to be a professional driver, constantly redlining the engine. But just looking to make a car that is fun to drive on dirt and gravel roads in the summer, while getting around to place in the winter. Also doesn't the name have rally in it, or is that just for marketing?

·
Premium Member
10,183 Posts
That is mostly what I want, I am not looking to be a professional driver, constantly redlining the engine. But just looking to make a car that is fun to drive on dirt and gravel roads in the summer, while getting around to place in the winter. Also doesn't the name have rally in it, or is that just for marketing?
Marketing.

·
BooSTIng
2,767 Posts
Mainly marketing. The version of the WRX we get is significantly different than the ones used in rally racing.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru WRX Limited
8 Posts
So I'm new to having a car that I can work on, so I just want to here some owners honest opinions.

1. Are these cars as awful as people say (some of the mechanics that I am friends with say that these cars have a lot of problems with blown head gaskets)?
  2. Are these cars easy to work on?
  3. I want to create a weekend rally car, so should I buy new or used, and if used what year then?
  4. where do I look for parts to turn a stock car into a weekend rally car?
Hopefully someone on this forum can help me.

Thank you
I have lots of videos of working on these cars, Check out my youtube page - https://www.youtube.com/user/VinnieT8

1 - 8 of 8 Posts