ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, as you guys already know, I'm in the market for a new WRX. Now just had some questions about resale value.

One of the reasons why I would very much like to purchase a new WRX this month is so that I can get a good deal on the car but also to get the most out of my current vehicle. I drive a '7 kia optima and despite their recent accomplishments with the new Optima and such, the resale value remains to "suck", compared to a Honda/Toyota/of course Subaru/etc.

My question is, does the value of the car go down as soon as the year changes? so if the car was valued at 5000 dollars on the last day of Dec., the car would be valued less on the first day of Jan.?

I have this great offer from this dealership but the car will arrive on Jan., so if I wait to trade-in/sell my current car, I wouldn't get as much as money as I would if I were to purchase a car this month and trade-in/sell my current car. I would appreciate all y'alls input on this!!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I don't think thats how it works. When a new model year is released that will lower the value ex: When the 2013s come out the value of the 2012s and prior will drop some. However, no car company i know of releases the new model year january 1st so it shouldn't make any difference at all

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah the calendar year has nothing to do with that kind of drop. The new model year calendar is the primary driver and a redesign is the second driver. Though if the 2013 is like the 2008 was the price for the 2009-2012 might go up momentarily.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ohh I see. Thank you everyone. One of the excuses I told myself to buy a new car was that the resale value for my current car will drop significantly after Dec. 31st. The truth is I just wanted a new car ASAP and didn't want to wait for the new models to come in Feb. LOL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts