Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a second generation OEM clutch and an Exedy Lightened Flywheel in my VF30 equipped WRX and I can't say enough about how much I love it. The car feels incredibly light during acceleration, rev matchin is a breeze, and drivability isn't even an issue. Just rev it is a bit higher and slip her out. AWESOME. Also, the second generation pressure plate is WAY lighter than oem for pedal feel, but I'm almost certain is doesn't hold the same amount of torque.

-Jim

·
Registered
499 Posts
Revs better huh? Can you compare the new revvin action to what an underdrive pulley does? The pulley, which only sheds 5 pounds or so made mine rev ALOT better. What kind of weight savings does the flywheel entail?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yeah, I agree that if you're going to upgrade your clutch, you might as well do a flywheel upgrade. I'm with either the Exedy hyper single clutch or ATS carbon clutch very soon.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hybrid-X said:
Yeah, I agree that if you're going to upgrade your clutch, you might as well do a flywheel upgrade. I'm with either the Exedy hyper single clutch or ATS carbon clutch very soon.
DO NOT GET AN ATS CARBON CLUTCH. Fitment is horrible (the starter chirps). The engagement will destroy your ability to launch the car without smashing first gear into many pieces. I know because I had this clutch/flywheel and it DID.

Brembo, I have a TB Racing lightened pulley and while this helps, the mass is located nearer to the crank shaft centerline, comparitively speaking. The Exedy flywheel weighs 12.5lbs. compared to the stock ~24lbs. (from memory). Plus the far outside of the flywheel is lightened with holes. It makes a MUCH bigger difference than a lightened pulley.

-Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
I see the benefits of a lightened flywheel for auto-x but if your a stoplight-stomper your better having a heavier disc as it is able to transfer torque more smoothly and solidily then the lightened ones... and if you combo a heavy, multiplated clutch, with that lightened wheel i only forsee slippage

my .02c
~wrx300

·
Registered
507 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
DO NOT GET AN ATS CARBON CLUTCH. Fitment is horrible (the starter chirps). The engagement will destroy your ability to launch the car without smashing first gear into many pieces. I know because I had this clutch/flywheel and it DID.

Brembo, I have a TB Racing lightened pulley and while this helps, the mass is located nearer to the crank shaft centerline, comparitively speaking. The Exedy flywheel weighs 12.5lbs. compared to the stock ~24lbs. (from memory). Plus the far outside of the flywheel is lightened with holes. It makes a MUCH bigger difference than a lightened pulley.

-Jim
Thanks for the heads up, Jim. :) I'll be going Exedy then. ;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Platinum-

12 pounds weight that rotates is HUGE, I bet it does rev like a bije now. I'll have to keep that mod in mind when my clutch goes south(not long considering my driving habits).

wrx300-

I can see the logic for commin outta the hole hard, but the slippage issue eludes me. Is there less contact area or what? Seems like a lighter flywheel would pretty much lead to less effective torque(f=ma), so you'd be applying less energy to the tranny. Are you saying that you'd have to slip more to get the same results as with a heavier flywheel?

·
Registered
202 Posts
brembo said:
Platinum-

Seems like a lighter flywheel would pretty much lead to less effective torque(f=ma), so you'd be applying less energy to the tranny.
..exactly..you will get less low end torque when using a lightened flywheel. The benefits of a lightened flywheel are a quicker accelerating and decelerating engine, easier rev matching for heel& toeing..all great stuff for road racing. But you lose the low end torque and ultimate launching power that is needed for drag racing..its all about what you prefer for performance characteristics.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Would the torque lost for the launch be that considerable?
Wouldn't the added benifits of being able to accelerate faster make up for that?:confused:

·
Registered
202 Posts
WR Xilr8 said:
Would the torque lost for the launch be that considerable?
Wouldn't the added benifits of being able to accelerate faster make up for that?:confused:
its quite noticeable. Take car with stock flywheel and run a 1/4 and take same car with lightened flywheel and run a 1/4 and you will see slower 60ft times..you just cannot get the same jump off the line. but it can certainly be worth the trade off if your not just a straight line runner...in the twisties the lightened flywheel is a huge benefit. As with many mods you gain at one point in the power band and lose at another..basically, a lightened flywheel will result in a loss in low end torque but a gain in high end HP.

I had a lightened flywheel in my old TTZ and it wouldnt dip below 12.0 in the 1/4 with it..put in the stock flywheel and went to 11.7-11.8 every time with 2-3more mph and a couple 10ths off the 60ft. Even thought that was a high power rwd car the same principle applies to the awd wrx...I made all of the difference in that first 60ft with flywheel changes.

·
Registered
499 Posts
But why would a lighter flywheel equal more slippage while draggin? Because you'd have to slip it more INTENTIONALLY to keep from lugging the engine. Or is there something different in the layout of a lighter flywheel that would cause the slip?

·
Registered
124 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
I recently installed a second generation OEM clutch and an Exedy Lightened Flywheel in my VF30 equipped WRX and I can't say enough about how much I love it. The car feels incredibly light during acceleration, rev matchin is a breeze, and drivability isn't even an issue. Just rev it is a bit higher and slip her out. AWESOME. Also, the second generation pressure plate is WAY lighter than oem for pedal feel, but I'm almost certain is doesn't hold the same amount of torque.

-Jim
Good advice!
My clutch decided to burn out on me so its Exedy flywheel and Exedy clutch. I then thought that maybe the new clutch would be too sticky so I got ahold of a V5 STi 5speed tranny and thats going in next week with the rest of the parts. It should be vastly improved but we shall see by the end of next week.

·
Registered
202 Posts
brembo said:
But why would a lighter flywheel equal more slippage while draggin? Because you'd have to slip it more INTENTIONALLY to keep from lugging the engine.
yes. you dont have the torque effect form a heavier flywheel so you have to rev higher and slip the clutch more and that of course reduces your times/acceleration.

·
Registered
499 Posts
twinz said:
yes. you dont have the torque effect form a heavier flywheel so you have to rev higher and slip the clutch more and that of course reduces your times/acceleration.
Okay, thats clear now. I was worried that the flywheel itself was somehow less effective in applying force to the pucks. I don't drag, and I like reactive revving, so a lightned flywheel WILL be bolted up when I cook this clutch. Many thanks for the explaination.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just to add my $0.02 here on the subject. I recently replaced my not worn out stock clutch at about 42,000 miles with another stock clutch and an exedy flywheel. It was a noticable difference but by NO means a "WHooaaa that is a LOT better" type of difference.

It did wake the car up in off boost areas and helped out a little in 1st and 2nd but nothing drastic again. I recently went to the track along with a 18G turbo and only got 3 runs in with a best 60' of 1.99. I know I can get at least a 1.85-1.90 range 60', with my previous best being a 1.83, so I don't think the flywheel really hurts launching capablities much at all.

It's a nice mod but nothing major... more for drivability than anything IMHO.

·
1,911 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:

-Jim
Jim, the clutch does require some new launching techniques but we have about 6 or 7 ATS carbons out there with stock transmission and 350-420 HP with no problems. It is amazingly light and can handle huge amounts of power. HOw were you launching?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts