Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering getting a VF35 (or maybe VF34) to replace the stock one. Given the mods listed below, should I notice a significant "felt-in-the-seat" increase in power?

My ecu is stock and not remapped. I could also upgrade the fuel system at the same time if that would help. Yes, I realize an aftermarket turbo will have increased lag.

I do not race at the track, but like to have plenty of power on-hand for the occasional friendly street encounter. Since I drive exclusively on the street, I think a turbo with excellent mid-range reponse would probably suit my needs best, which is why I'm considering the VF35, or 34.

I plan on remapping the ecu next month, when SPI Motorsports gets the program, and having it dyno tuned.

Darin

·
1,911 Posts
I'd say go for the VF35 for midrange. The VF34 will shift it more towards upper end power. I found the VF30 to not have much less lag than the PE1818F so if you want monster power with reasonable response that is another way.

·
Registered
559 Posts
You will definately want a EMS with a new turbo and fuel upgrades.
If you want more power go for the VF34,,if you want a Drag monster go for the PE1820..
The problem is,,how fast do you want to go?
Tuca

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I read that thread, at least a few times.;) And then I read every other thread on the VF35. Picked up a lot of good information about other models too, differences, etc.

In the big "power picture", I'd like to get a turbo that will allow me to increase power as much as possible, without significantly affecting reliability and longevity. I do understand that nothing is free, and do not expect everything to last forever, but I do not want to have to rebuild the engine at 50,000 miles.

God, I agree with what you said. The VF35 appeals to me because of its midrange ability. Yet, I like the VF34 because of its greater potential. I love the PE1818F because of the monstrous possibilities. But, I can't have it all due to that damn physical law. With a PE1818F, it's my understanding that the boost really comes on in the 4,000-6,000 rpm range. I guess the VF34 would come on a bit before. Anyone know when it spools, or is there a link to a dyno chart?

Tuca33 -- I think I want to go quickly more than I want to go fast. Wouldn't the VF35 do that? If I could get away with it, I'd probably prefer the VF34, depending upon how it spools.

Darin

·
Registered
559 Posts
I know a PE1818 will spool as fast as an Vf34.
It is the same thing exept the PE is modded for high performance.
Any bigger turbo will give you a faster car.
its how many HPs do you want.
I would go the Vf34 or the PE series turbos.
I particularly plann to buy a PE1818 or 1820(not sure yet)
Thanks
TUca

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tuca -- thanks. The VF34 definitely looks good, but I'm just concerned about the lag. HPs are definitely important, I just want to be sure I get them in the right place!

Anyone know where I can see a dyno chart for the VF34? Heck, it'd be nice to see them all!

Darin

·
Registered
103 Posts
Do you have $$$?

The best bolt on turbo you can buy for your application is the APS SR30. It is a Garrett based turbo, so it will blow cooler air more efficiently and have a flatter torque curve with a better power output than a VF with the same peak hp ability. The SR30 ordered with the small 15 housing will spool almost as fast as a VF35, but will almost have the power potential of the VF22. Do a search under my username, I've posted a lot about this turbo. The ONLY downside to the SR30 is its ridiculous $1500 price tag. It won't have the top end power of the similarly priced PE1818, but it will spool significantly smoother and be better in the midrange - on top of that I've seen dyno sheets with cars running the SR30 laying down 296whp with the small 15 exhaust housing(small - you can order it with the larger 17 housing to add more lag and 25 more peak whp), and the SR30 with a TMIC and uppipe/turboback exhaust all tuned up with a unichip spools 600 RPM sooner than the stock WRX.

All in all, if you've got the money and the patience to put up with APS's supply/dealer delays, the SR30 is unquestionably the best way to go for your goals.

·
1,911 Posts
In the big "power picture", I'd like to get a turbo that will allow me to increase power as much as possible, without significantly affecting reliability and longevity. I do understand that nothing is free, and do not expect everything to last forever, but I do not want to have to rebuild the engine at 50,000 miles.

Any of the aove turbos can be reliable as long as supporting mods are made also as well as good set of gauges to monitor everything.

God, I agree with what you said. The VF35 appeals to me because of its midrange ability. Yet, I like the VF34 because of its greater potential. I love the PE1818F because of the monstrous possibilities. But, I can't have it all due to that damn physical law. With a PE1818F, it's my understanding that the boost really comes on in the 4,000-6,000 rpm range. I guess the VF34 would come on a bit before. Anyone know when it spools, or is there a link to a dyno chart?

Well full boost is at 4100 RPM on the 1818 and 4250 RPM on the 1820 but you have boost at 2500 RPM or under that. It's NOT as laggy as you might think though and the rush from that turbo hitting is unlike ANY VF turbo that's for sure. Loads of fun and VERY reliable which is also important. The VF30 and PE1818F are pretty similar in feel in terms of lag. th VF34 may be slightly better. If you want to expand the power envelope later on than maybe the VF35 is not for you. Even the VF30 seems small to me but I prefer to have a little more turbo in case I want to increase the HP a bit more. On the PE it's as simple as adding a mod, increasing boost and retuning. Repeat as needed.

Tuca33 -- I think I want to go quickly more than I want to go fast. Wouldn't the VF35 do that? If I could get away with it, I'd probably prefer the VF34, depending upon how it spools.

Don't be as concerned about spool up. Remember, area under the curve is better and faster everytime regardless of lag. The differences are not as great as you think and you'll be kicking yourself later on for not getting the turbo that will get you where you ultimately want to be.

·
Registered
103 Posts
God said:
you'll be kicking yourself later on for not getting the turbo that will get you where you ultimately want to be.
There's a lot of monetary sense in that statement. Where souping up cars (sorry, dying musclecar lingo, I had to use it!) gets expensive is when you start upgrading your expensive upgrades so that everything balances out as a package and that package is where you want the car to be performance-wise. You want to save some serious cash? Buy it right the first time and don't buy it again. As for what "it" is that is right for you, you have to decide where you want to take the car and basically think of it this way: given a reasonably large long-term budget, what is your dream for the car? What do you want it to perform and look like? Work toward this goal slowly and deliberately as the money comes in...don't buy anything you don't want or need for your finished project "vision". Eventually, you'll have your dream car, whatever that may be. And you will have done it with the least amount of waste and for the lowest amount of money possible. Think about this especially long and hard when buying something as expensive and determining as a new turbo - whatever turbo you have on the car will be a huge factor in deciding just exactly what your end "dream" setup turns out to be. Choose wisely...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picking a turbo without actually driving the car is like buying a piece of art just based on someone's description. Not easy, because they all sound good! :D

Stilesg57 -- yes, I read your posts about the SR30 and it sounds great. Tough decision. Any mapping issues? I could swing it, but isn't there a wait, or are these readily available?

Dan -- I tend to like to max things out as long as everything remains solid and works like it should. The PE1818F is mighty tempting. If it spools as fast as the VF34, then maybe I'll go for it.

Does it install easily? Besides what I already have, what other supporting mods do I really need?

I do not race on the track, but love to have power on tap on the street. I also love it when a turbo kicks on hard and pulls like hell.

Since I only have the stock ECU, what engine management would you recommend? SPI Motorsports recommends that I have them remap the stock ECU and dyno tune it. They'll have the program next month.

Darin

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stilesg57 -- I completely agree. It's best to buy what you really want the first time, as you can save a lot of money. Been there, done that!

You can see below the mods I have. Currently, I have no idea what my approximate whp is running 1 bar of boost. So, I would imagine a 30 whp increase would seem like a lot to me, and I can't even imagine what a 100 whp increase would feel like. Maybe I would be perfectly happy with a V35. Maybe the PE1818 would be better. It's difficult for me to tell because I don't have a good frame of reference.

I noticed one guy posted that he replaced his PE1818 with a VF35 and said it was a big improvement mainly because of lag. That seemed odd because I would've thought the better power of the PE1818 would've been enough to overcome the better spool up of the VF35.

Darin

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just took my WRX to the store and paid attention to when boost comes on, etc., and the VF35 is looking better. I hate to forego the extra power of the PE1818, but I think I might have fun more often because of the faster spooling. I realize the VF35 is tiny, but hopefully this will be all I need.

Darin

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'll reply to your questions and pose a new one...:cool:

The SR30 is like a Macintosh computer. It's miles ahead of PCs but there aren't many because if you own one you feel like you're the odd man out fighting the compatability of the rest of the standard (VF) world. They're almost impossible to get any kind of pretuned map for, either for the unichip or the utec. Also, they are not currently available since Cobb tuning dropped its APS dealership, and there is no indication of when they will be available or (more importantly) who will be selling them. Putting it bluntly, availability is zero right now, and it will be awhile before that changes.

The PE1818's power would be far from "on tap" if you cruise with the needle below the 3000 mark like I do. Coming off of a big V8, I'm uncomfortable with revs and compulsively go to the highest gear that the engine will still push the car at when I'm cruising, so this would be really exaggerated for someone like me. A good indicator is what you thought of the lag when the car was stock: if you didn't mind it or thought (like many previous turbo car owners do) that the lag was super low, you will be fine with a PE1818. You'll love it. Same lag (about) when you run it with management and uppipe/turboback exhaust as a stock WRX, just twice the power (literally, see God's dyno sheets on the other thread!).
Me, I wouldn't have bought the WRX if I didn't know that I could reduce the lag to the level I have it at now (Unichip with EBC, samcos, uppipe, TXS stealthback). I HATE LAG IN ANY FORM, EVEN IF SOMEONE ELSE FEELS IT IS ONLY A LITTLE! Again, I came from a big V8 - know what the spool up time was on that? However long it took your foot to mash the petal all the way to the floor! :D So, while the power would be nice, I'm not really a candidate for a PE1818.

The ECU remap is the way to go in your case. Check around about the Unichip and Utec if you want more info on those other options. You really should have engine management of some kind at least to run this turbo (look at the bright side, you'll put about 20whp on your current setup right off the bat!)

Now for the variable I want to throw into this equation...

Look at the Ion OEM turbo upgrade. It will spool as fast as the VF35 but will flow enough for 270whp, somewhat more than the VF35 will allow. Also, it's only $800 plus your stock turbo. Looks stock, outspools the VF34, out breathes the VF35, and is cheaper than either. Do a search for it, it is a very viable option for your goals.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I'll go to bed now...:)

·
1,911 Posts
DTsRex said:
Dan -- I tend to like to max things out as long as everything remains solid and works like it should. The PE1818F is mighty tempting. If it spools as fast as the VF34, then maybe I'll go for it.
Does it install easily? Besides what I already have, what other supporting mods do I really need?

I do not race on the track, but love to have power on tap on the street. I also love it when a turbo kicks on hard and pulls like hell.
It feels very similar to the VF30 in terms of lag which is to say not bad really. If you love the feeling of the turbo kicking in hard, the VF35 is NOT going to do it. It's extremely mild. The PE1818F or 1820F will give you the shove in your back that NONE of the VF turbos will. Yes it is that viscious and yes I could break all 4 tires lose from a rolling start once boost hit. Installation is a breeze. Bolt on. As for supporting mods to get the most of it you need sti injectors/fuel pump, EBC (I recommend the SBC-id), bigger intercooler (preferably front mount) and fuel management, either by UTEC/Unichip or a chip retune (must be done custom). That and the usual mods which you probably have already done. Some people who have switched over to a smaller turbo probably weren't happy with the PE because they did not have the correct supporting mods.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stilesg57 -- No apologies for a long-winded post. Those are the best, chock full of good info.

Dan -- Thanks to you too. It's really nice that there are people on this board with good hands-on experience. Makes it much easier for someone like myself.

I'm going to call SPI Motorsports today and see what happens from there! (Spending $$$$...)

Darin

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
stilesg57 said:
Also, they are not currently available since Cobb tuning dropped its APS dealership, and there is no indication of when they will be available or (more importantly) who will be selling them. Putting it bluntly, availability is zero right now, and it will be awhile before that changes.
FYI - SPD Tuning down in Torrence, CA will be the new official distributor of APS products and performance packages. Mike Shields himself gave some of us locals a presentation and we all go to hold their new gigantic APS TMIC :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm also in the market for a turbo. I was looking at the VF30, VF34, and PE1818. I posted a thread over at nasioc about the difference between the VF30 and the VF34. The TurboXS guys (Nathan and Phil) said they see NO difference on the dyno between the VF30 and the VF34. Furthermore they felt that the IHI ball bearings in the VF34 were actually less dependable than the VF30's oil jacket (is that what it's called?) bearing at high boost levels.

VF30's are going for $785 ($1285 with injectors and pump) through group buys right now. So you might want to consider a VF30 over a VF34.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts