Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get the roll pins back in for my new shifter linkage knuckle, my mechanic friend advised me to just put a bolt and lock nut in its place, it seems to have no slop and work fine for now.

But I've been reading that it can be bad for a variety of reasons. What is your opinion on this? Thank you!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
Use a roll pin. They are solid and spring steel so they won't wear out. You'll quickly wear the major diameter of the thread down because it's thin and cause slop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
^^ this. Bolt will work 4 a while then wear away. Also bolts not made for "shear" applications.

Squeaze pin in with vise grips or tap it in, put it in freezer 4 a while first then work quick once taking it out. Warm the linkage if possible just prior.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^ this. Bolt will work 4 a while then wear away. Also bolts not made for "shear" applications.

Squeaze pin in with vise grips or tap it in, put it in freezer 4 a while first then work quick once taking it out. Warm the linkage if possible just prior.
I ended up putting a screw with a lock not... Will take your advice and put a roll pin when I get access to lift again.

Could the bolt actually fall out and leave me disconnected while driving?

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
Likely not fall out with a lock nut. But it could just snap off at any time and fall out. It depends on how hard you shift, what type material bolt u used, and how many shifts u make as to when it will fail. Its just a gamble...

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
I ended up putting a screw with a lock not... Will take your advice and put a roll pin when I get access to lift again.

Could the bolt actually fall out and leave me disconnected while driving?

I hope you at least used a shoulder bolt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts