ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey y'all,

so my 02 wrx is experiencing brake shudder when stopping from high speeds. the dealership tells me over the phone that i need to get my rotors machined, which sounds reasonable. that will run me $150. my question is, would it be a worthwhile upgrade to buy a pair of stoptech slotted rotors for $190/pair (http://www.stoptech.com/) and have the dealership install those instead? keep in mind i would be running those rotors with stock pad, stock calipers and stock brake lines. my car is pretty much stock except for a cobb accessport and the meats i have on my stock wheels (sumitomo htr+ 225/50zr16).

would appreciate any input. thanks!

·
Registered
907 Posts
really if your stock, and plan on keeping stock...the stock rotors are attiquate....now stainless steel brake lines will help firm up the brakes though. the cryo treated rotors will wear better.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
theres no reason slotted wont work for you in this situation.

i do find it a bit steep though how much they want to turn your rotors.

rotors are easy as hell to replace so if you can avoid having to pay for it, go that route.

but in all seriousness, stock will work fine, stoptechs are just cooler ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
take the damm rotors off your self and take it to a parts store, have them turn it for 10 bux each. done.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gusto said:
theres no reason slotted wont work for you in this situation.

i do find it a bit steep though how much they want to turn your rotors.

rotors are easy as hell to replace so if you can avoid having to pay for it, go that route.

but in all seriousness, stock will work fine, stoptechs are just cooler ;)
from the other thread, it seems that slotted rotors decrease brake pad life. since my car is daily driven and not raced, the benefits to slotted rotors (better outgassing) are outweighed by the drawbacks (shorter pad life).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dark_rex said:
no need to replace or machine.

get on the hwy and do 5 or 6 very "spirited" stopping exercises, allowing the brakes to cool b/w each time.

dR
what will this do for me, besides making my car shake like it's getting the holy ghost up in it...?

·
Registered
128 Posts
dark_rex said:
no need to replace or machine.

get on the hwy and do 5 or 6 very "spirited" stopping exercises, allowing the brakes to cool b/w each time.

dR
are serious? that is retarded advise. if the rotors are shuddering because it is grooved, high speed stops will not machine off the grooves. the pads and rotor will wear into the grooves more. if the rotors are warped, machining will straighten them out.

what i'm not sure about is, can you use grooved pads? i think grooved pads need to be changed....

·
Registered
128 Posts
dark_rex said:
also, rotors will build up a residue sometimes. this will clear that off.

:)
are you refering to the slotted function of the rotor or the high speed stop+cooling?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dark_rex said:
it sounds to me like your pads weren't properly bedded when installed.

also, rotors will build up a residue sometimes. this will clear that off.

:)
ah, thanks. actually, i haven't installed new pads, so i'm guessing it really is rotor warp. i don't think they installed new pads when i did my 60k service, but regardless, that was 6000 miles ago and the problem just started appearing recently. i fingered my rotors a few days ago out of curiosity and they had developed grooveage reminiscent of a 10" record.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
NOTimprezed said:
are serious? that is retarded advise. if the rotors are shuddering because it is grooved, high speed stops will not machine off the grooves.
as for calling my advice "retarded" maybe you should try and speak ENGLISH before you get so free to comment on other's intelligence.

I've sold thousands of rotors, and stocked many thousands. I've dealt with hundreds of customers buying them, installing them (and occasionally returning them) :eek:

I'm not speaking from ignorance, here. Also, My brakes behave this way occasionally, and guess what?

IT WORKS.

it's is extremly rare for rotors to warp. if they are, machining might fix it, but you'd be better off just getting new discs. turning them is kind of the cheap-o solution to that problem.

some grooving is normal on rotors. are these the original rotors on the car after 60K miles? if so, the stoptech slotteds have worked out great for me.

dR

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the help, guys. i've decided to get replacement rotors and pads too while i'm at it (probably axxis metal masters, but suggestions are more than welcome!). as to which ones (frozen rotors, brembo blanks, stoptech slotted), i will sleep on it and decide tomorrow :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts