Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The U.S. 2002 WRX has a replacemet silencer that i heard allows a little more air flow, and makes the car sound better. Has anyone taken theirs off before, if so how does it help/hinder, will it detract from the engines lfe?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took out my silencer the other day and am really enjoying it... I can now hear some intake noise as well as the bypass valve.

I didn't realize that SOA had a replacement one - interesting. I'm waiting for someone to come up with a nice aftermarket CAI personally.

It seems to have helped throttle response just a tad and maybe the turbo spools up a few hundred RPM earlier.

Of course the sound just might make it SEEM faster but its still a fun mod and doesn't take too long.

I couldn't think of any downsides to this mod really...the stock setup is not exactly forcing air to the box by the time it winds its way around all the plastic parts. Now (after taping up the leftover gap) I'm just sucking cool air from the behind the skirt in the fenderwell.

No CE light or anything...try it!

Cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why would you want a cai on a car that has turbo? the air is so hot enough as it is that if you add a cai it will hardly decrease the air temperature and with the longer piping it will hurt the performance compared to a regular intake. unless you get a cai that is really fat in diameter but the difference b/t a cai intake and a regular one on a turbo car won't be much if any better at all.

dennis

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True we have a turbo and intercooler, and true this probably doesn't matter as much on our cars as it would say on something without an intercooler. However I really feel that a nice intake with filter in the fender will suck just as much air as a cone in the engine bay...

cool air in = even cooler air by the time it mixes with fuel and of course cooler air is more dense for more horsepower

NOS anyone? :)

I think the gains to be had by avoiding hot engine bay air outweigh any issues with running a short CAI pipe out to the fender...but of course this won't be proven until somone runs the proper comparison tests.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Can someone post instructions on removing the replacement silencer? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts