Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, looking to get some suggestions on a good replacement for the crappy 6.2 Starlink system w/o navigation. It needs to fully integrate with all the features of the stock radio like the steering wheel controls, Sirius, etc. I'd like to have DVD capability as well, but it's not a deal breaker. Budget is $200-$300. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Have you window shopped on Crutchfield? See what they got and then go to Amazon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have, but I was looking to get some suggestions from people who've already been through this process and which headunit they decided on and why.

·
Registered
338 Posts
so is pretty much everyone I imagine. the stocker is freakin horrible

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
you're going to have a very hard time finding a good aftermarket HU that integrates with all the stock functions while staying under even $500....

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
subispeeds android unit maybe? Looks clean and maintains all functions and more it seems like.

I would avoid anything to do with Subispeed at all cost.

If you're looking to improve sound quality that can be done without having to touch the head unit by using a DSP and an amplifier. If you're wanting to upgrade the functionality of the head unit the Pioneer AVIC head units are pretty good.. some of the Chinese knockoff Android head units aren't bad either, but you will still want a DSP to balance the levels and everything.

Thing is, if your head unit is anything like the 7" Nav in my 2017 Outback then you're not going to be able to replace it without losing some functionality, like the controls for the interior/door sill lights, horn chirps, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would avoid anything to do with Subispeed at all cost.

If you're looking to improve sound quality that can be done without having to touch the head unit by using a DSP and an amplifier. If you're wanting to upgrade the functionality of the head unit the Pioneer AVIC head units are pretty good.. some of the Chinese knockoff Android head units aren't bad either, but you will still want a DSP to balance the levels and everything.

Thing is, if your head unit is anything like the 7" Nav in my 2017 Outback then you're not going to be able to replace it without losing some functionality, like the controls for the interior/door sill lights, horn chirps, etc.
i'm re-joining the subaru world again.. Whats wrong with subispeed? What are some good alternatives then having to do with good aftermarket parts related to subaru?

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Whats wrong with subispeed? What are some good alternatives then having to do with good aftermarket parts related to subaru?

Subispeed hasn't been around for very long and they quickly gained a reputation for identity theft. MANY people who have ordered parts from them in the last two years have had their credit card and bank account info stolen. They also have very poor/non-existent customer service. A lot of people have had issues with their orders then were never able to get a hold of them on the phone or email.. then in the rare cases that they do respond to an email it is a copy and past from an email they sent to someone else. I even saw one where they copied a response to someone that still had the other customer's private information in it. I have also seen several cases of parts from them failing prematurely.

There are several approved vendors on this forum. Rally Sport Direct has a large selection of aftermarket parts and good customer service, JSC Speed, Oakos Automotive.. Turn in Concepts only carries quality stuff, and they are very knowledgeable if you have any questions.

I usually prefer to go through smallish vendors because you can often get better prices than are advertised elsewhere, one on one customer service, and you can build a rapport with them over time and get preferential treatment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pioneer NEX 4200 :thumbup: on amazon for $460, it has carplay or android functionality. You would need Scosche Dash double din kit for $20 and wiring harness for another $20. To make your steering wheel functions work you would need Metra Axxess ASWC-1 or similar device for $50. And im assuming you want to use the stock USB port so add another $10 for USB adapter. So all the extras you would need to install a HU is $100 give or take. This would be if you install it yourself. Now im sure you can find a cheaper HU but might not give you all the functions you need. :eek3:
I added what I'm using for my install from amazon (I have the 2015 no navigation):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D9K3L44/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QF01H2E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4PJC9K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VP255Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pioneer NEX 4200
on amazon for $460, it has carplay or android functionality. You would need Scosche Dash double din kit for $20 and wiring harness for another $20. To make your steering wheel functions work you would need Metra Axxess ASWC-1 or similar device for $50. And im assuming you want to use the stock USB port so add another $10 for USB adapter. So all the extras you would need to install a HU is $100 give or take. This would be if you install it yourself. Now im sure you can find a cheaper HU but might not give you all the functions you need.

I added what I'm using for my install from amazon (I have the 2015 no navigation):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D9K3L44/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QF01H2E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4PJC9K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VP255Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Were you able to use your factory aux port?

·
Registered
62 Posts
This subispeed info sucks, just ordered some stuff (not audio) last night, my card even texted me to confirm purchase i didnt think anything of it at the time

But for audio upgrade i have a 18 WRX with the 7.0" screen
Wouldnt a better option for our Subis be just getting a 4-6ch amp and do all the speakers and possibly add a small woofer under the seat or in the trunk?'
Or just get all new speakers then a sub
I like the 10" Kicker subi has as OEM for a direct plug into the stock HU, that might fix some issues right away

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
But for audio upgrade i have a 18 WRX with the 7.0" screen
Wouldnt a better option for our Subis be just getting a 4-6ch amp and do all the speakers and possibly add a small woofer under the seat or in the trunk?'
Or just get all new speakers then a sub
I like the 10" Kicker subi has as OEM for a direct plug into the stock HU, that might fix some issues right away

That is a better option from several aspects (doesn't give you the ability to run Android apps though). But you can't just hook the OEM head unit to an amp, it doesn't have any pre-amp outs. You can use a line out converter to get your outs, but that's only going to make the poor sound quality of the stock head unit even worse. If you care about how it sounds you're going to need a DSP to process the signal before it gets to the amp.. some of them even have a SPDIF digital input which you could run a converted HDMI signal from a smart phone directly to the DSP bypassing the head unit to get the cleanest signal possible.

IMO, getting new speakers then running them off of a factory head unit is a waste of money. From a sound quality standpoint you'd be better off with an aftermarket head unit (or even better a DSP) running the stock speakers.

·
Registered
403 Posts
IMO, getting new speakers then running them off of a factory head unit is a waste of money. From a sound quality standpoint you'd be better off with an aftermarket head unit (or even better a DSP) running the stock speakers.
This isn't just opinion, it's fact. The stock speakers, along with a good HU, are excellent - even for an audiophile.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
how does a good head unit contribute to sound fidelity?

An aftermarket head unit will output a significantly cleaner signal. OEM head units use the cheapest internal components they can find, which results in a muddy sound and the frequency response is flat out terrible. If you compare the frequency response coming out of an OEM head unit to what the actual music is supposed to sound like there will be tons of peaks and dips where the frequency is either way louder than it should be, or more often, the frequency is hardly reproduced at all, leaving those tones virtually absent. Also consider that most OEM head units are only capable of pushing 7-9 watts RMS, whereas aftermarket head units will typically be in the 20-30 watt range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I spent an hour on the phone with Crutchfield last night and they were saying that whatever head unit I choose I will lose the factory back up camera, the factory mic for making phone calls and the factory aux USB. Is this true? I would like to use everything ideally however the main ones I would like to keep are factory backup camera, factory mic and steering wheel controls.

I was looking for something with Apple CarPlay and just anything that's more responsive than the current WRX Base headunit

·
Registered
19 Posts
I spent an hour on the phone with Crutchfield last night and they were saying that whatever head unit I choose I will lose the factory back up camera, the factory mic for making phone calls and the factory aux USB. Is this true? I would like to use everything ideally however the main ones I would like to keep are factory backup camera, factory mic and steering wheel controls.

I was looking for something with Apple CarPlay and just anything that's more responsive than the current WRX Base headunit
In my experience going from stock base (2015) headunit to Pioneer NEX4200 : I lost function of factory AUX plug, I retained the factory USB port (with a simple adapter) which i use for apple play, I have my factory back up camera. The factory mic is terrible and you will not need it as your new headunit should come with one, and they are simple to install plug and play.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts