Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced the clutch in my early model 2018 WRX after 23000 miles for slippage. After a week of driving it when I first got it I called Subaru expressing my concerns about the extreme REV hang (3-4 seconds) and very heavy return spring. I said I am concerned about the clutch with the REV hang. Having to wait 3 seconds for the RPMs to drop to a safe level before engaging the clutch was dangerous. Engage the clutch too soon and risk excessive wear. The very heavy spring did not make it easy to drive smooth. Subaru said take it to the dealer and of course it was normal per the dealer.

My wife's first car was a Hyundai excel MT bought new for less then six thousand dollars. I taught her and three other people to drive a MT with this car and the clutch lasted 60+ thousand miles. I have always owned and had at least one MT car on the road for the last thirty years. The Hyundai was the shortest time for a clutch of all my years of owning MT cars. I am a conservative driver that makes an effort to be kind to the clutch. I did my best to cope with the WRX transmission and believe I treated it well.

The dealer replaced all of the clutch assemblies along with the flywheel. Now the clutch is very light and much more enjoyable to drive. This is the way it should have been in the beginning. I can't help but think there is an issue with the transmission design?

Does the excessive rev hang reduce the clutch life on the WRX?
I an thinking of getting an AP just to get ride of that rev hang. Risk the warranty to save the clutch?

FastFlyer

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
Just replaced the clutch in my early model 2018 WRX after 23000 miles for slippage. After a week of driving it when I first got it I called Subaru expressing my concerns about the extreme REV hang (3-4 seconds) and very heavy return spring. I said I am concerned about the clutch with the REV hang. Having to wait 3 seconds for the RPMs to drop to a safe level before engaging the clutch was dangerous. Engage the clutch too soon and risk excessive wear. The very heavy spring did not make it easy to drive smooth. Subaru said take it to the dealer and of course it was normal per the dealer.

My wife's first car was a Hyundai excel MT bought new for less then six thousand dollars. I taught her and three other people to drive a MT with this car and the clutch lasted 60+ thousand miles. I have always owned and had at least one MT car on the road for the last thirty years. The Hyundai was the shortest time for a clutch of all my years of owning MT cars. I am a conservative driver that makes an effort to be kind to the clutch. I did my best to cope with the WRX transmission and believe I treated it well.

The dealer replaced all of the clutch assemblies along with the flywheel. Now the clutch is very light and much more enjoyable to drive. This is the way it should have been in the beginning. I can't help but think there is an issue with the transmission design?

Does the excessive rev hang reduce the clutch life on the WRX?
I an thinking of getting an AP just to get ride of that rev hang. Risk the warranty to save the clutch?

FastFlyer
Rev hang doesn't. Poor technique or mechanical problems do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should clarify. Do you think rev hang makes it difficult to execute proper technique consistently? Thus, excessive wear because of the difficulty?

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
Nope. If it did there would be a huge issues with clutches across all brands. It's typically only a few who have issues on any particular brand. Rev hang is an emissions strategy that every car maker has used for over a decade.

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
Good to know there is no mass issue. Thanks!
Yeah. I wouldn't be super afraid. It also helps the longer you drive a particular vehicle the more you get used to it's clutch so the less wear you cause it.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,591 Posts
I'd think rev hang makes shifting easier if anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're being sarcastic, right?

Thank you for the post! I thought I was out-of-line for bringing up the REV-Hang! It is a serious deficit. I test drove a 2015 WRX before getting the 2018. No noticeable rev-hang. Later found out the the 2015 had an AP/transmission work, and other custom adds done. I may just risk the warranty for the AP to help with it.

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
You're being sarcastic, right?
No

Thank you for the post! I thought I was out-of-line for bringing up the REV-Hang! It is a serious deficit. I test drove a 2015 WRX before getting the 2018. No noticeable rev-hang. Later found out the the 2015 had an AP/transmission work, and other custom adds done. I may just risk the warranty for the AP to help with it.
Rev hang has been beaten into the ground. It's an emissions strategy. It's been around long enough that we would know if it was the cause of clutches being burnt to the ground. However the overwhelming majority of owners will never have to spend money on a clutch replacement it is pretty obvious it's not the rev hang.

Rev hang slowly drops the rpm. This gives you far more time between shifting to get the shift right. I don't know how that makes it harder to shift.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could it be argued that a stage 1 AP with no physical modifications is better for the vehicle then stock? The stock map seems lean sometimes then going too rich. I read that the AP will help smooth out the AF ratio. Is this true?

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
There are arguments on both sides. However anything that adds more power always adds more stress and wear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No

Rev hang has been beaten into the ground. It's an emissions strategy. It's been around long enough that we would know if it was the cause of clutches being burnt to the ground. However the overwhelming majority of owners will never have to spend money on a clutch replacement it is pretty obvious it's not the rev hang.

Rev hang slowly drops the rpm. This gives you far more time between shifting to get the shift right. I don't know how that makes it harder to shift.
I guess not necessarily more difficult to shift, but arguably dangerous and less smooth. In the 3 seconds it takes to drop RPMs, you decelerate a respectable amount while everyone around you is accelerating. That declaration also affects smoothness.

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
If you can provide any statistic to back up it's dangerous I'll agree. Until then it's just conjecture.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you can provide any statistic to back up it's dangerous I'll agree. Until then it's just conjecture.
Agreed... I think it would make a good case study. I may solicit an auto engineer for an opinion.

The subject: Does excessive REV-HANG create a dangerous situation**
Does Having to wait 3-4 seconds after the shift before engaging the clutch create a lag in deceleration that could be dangerous?

Second subject: Does REV-HANG contribute to premature clutch wear if not properly compensated for**
Does not waiting for RPMs to drop (REV-HANG) before engaging clutch cause excessive clutch wear?

Regardless... for me it would have been a deal-breaker had I paid attention better on the test drive. I let three people who drive MT transmissions on the daily
try my car. Two of them who own older cars said it felt like they were just learning. The third has a focus RT who is familiar with the REV hang, but said it seemed excessive for the WRX.

Cute Puppy XJman! Boxer?

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
Nope just a random mutt. He is the best dog though.

·
Registered
550 Posts
60K+ and climbing with no issues . . . then again I don't tend to redline or bang through the gears like a mad man . . . that often.

Like most folks I did find shifting took a bit to get use to with the WRX at first as I went from a buttery smooth and easy shifting Honda to what felt like shifting gears in my grandfather's old Ford tractor at times. I got use to it and rarely have any stalls these days.

·
Registered
403 Posts
...Rev hang slowly drops the rpm. This gives you far more time between shifting to get the shift right. I don't know how that makes it harder to shift.
Because it makes the car surge and jerk violently if you try to shift quickly yet smoothly. Without it, shifting in the WRX becomes as easy as it is in other cars. If all cars have it, then Subaru has the poorest implementation of it.

And, if it's so advantageous to the driving/shifting experience, then why are tuners so eager to remove it? And why are so many auto journalists so quick to point it out in their reviews?

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
Because it makes the car surge and jerk violently if you try to shift quickly yet smoothly. Without it, shifting in the WRX becomes as easy as it is in other cars. If all cars have it, then Subaru has the poorest implementation of it.

And, if it's so advantageous to the driving/shifting experience, then why are tuners so eager to remove it? And why are so many auto journalists so quick to point it out in their reviews?
Enthusiast market.

I've driven tons of cars with it. Some much more prominent than the wrx. I don't have any of that.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
60K+ and climbing with no issues . . . then again I don't tend to redline or bang through the gears like a mad man . . . that often.

Like most folks I did find shifting took a bit to get use to with the WRX at first as I went from a buttery smooth and easy shifting Honda to what felt like shifting gears in my grandfather's old Ford tractor at times. I got use to it and rarely have any stalls these days.
parallel-universe-brother-jake, I could use those EXACT words to describe my car and experience......

1 - 20 of 30 Posts