ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tryed to take off my uppipe recently... my god... first the o2 sensor blocks my progress of getting that ONE heat shield off for like 8 hours and i didn't bother to have an o2 sensor socket on hand ... (*note: this started at 10:00pm thursday)... pointless took off a bunch of the other exhaust trying find a way to get around taking the o2 sensor out (i'm an idiot), finally got that off... then i took all the other heat shielding off right where the 2 bolts on the other side of the turbo is and that decides it doesn't want to come off...how the hell do you get to those last 2 bolts between the turbo and the downpipe without taking the downpipe off?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Just wait until you get something like a Turbo XS downpipe...the bottom two turbo to downpipe bolts can't get a ratchet on them, you have to use an open and end you have to go in from the bottom of the car...not fun at all.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
For me, personally, I'd just go ahead and take the downpipe off. I crawl under the car, disconnect the downie from the catback (2 bolts), remove the catback from the hanger so it drops. Then disconnect the downie from it's bracket. I usually suspend it there with a piece of string, so it stays in the same basic place. If you're running the stock downpipe there's one more place that it's bolted to the tranny.

Then you remove the 5 bolts that connect it to the turbo, and let it swing down and out of the way. Works for me, anyway. :)

Remember to torque things back to spec when reassembling, and put back on the heat shield, just with not as many bolts, for future ease...

Also, see if you're local Autozone or whatever has a "loan-a-tool" program. I've borrowed an O2 wrench twice now, and it makes things nice and easy.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I took the downpipe completely off so that I could pull the uppipe thru where the downpipe normally sits. What is ten minutes of downpipe removal after wasting 8 hours because you didn't have a socket? :wiggles:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
yeah that heatshield was a biatch, i personally just cut a notch in the shield with a torch so you can just drop it down ;)

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
rokyholler said:
i thought the downpipe was harder to get out than the uppipe b/c the bottom left bolt broke on me
Well, most consider the uppipe to be harder, since you actually take off the downpipe to get to it. Use PB Blaster, tap the bolt, then wait 15-20 minutes. You shouldn't have trouble with bolts sticking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts