ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals,

I wanted to know if someone can explain to me how to remove the interior panel in the trunk area of a hatch. I have a 2011 hatch and need to remove the panel to see if I have access to the quarter panel to pop out a dent. Please let me know.

·
Registered
56 Posts
ok so- this is tricky haha

put ur rear seats down

thers 2 pop rivets in the small windows, pop those off, theres a screw that is where the rear privacy pull thingie is, pop that off, u also need to grab a flathead and pop the airbag thingie in the c pillar off, then take the screw out of that. after that, just yank the corners and there are pop tabs that will slide out.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
^^^ what he said.

The panel that covers the airbag screw is extremely thin,so careful taking it out.Use something plastic if you can.I use a trim removal tool to take off the panels & clips.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Do you know when you removed the interior trim that there was access to the bare metal of the quarter panel? I have a dent right below the small window that I need the PDR guy to have access to. He wants to drill into my door jamb (NO WAY).

Also if I break anything (clips, etc.) that can be replaced fairly easy right by going to the dealership? I've had horrible luck with anything plastic on cars

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Yes.you will have access to the car's body after you remove the panel.

Funny you should ask.I broke a clip yesterday & had to go to the dealership.They didn't have it in stock,but they have ordered it for me.And at $3 a piece it was a bargain.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! The fact that I can access that dent without having the guy drill a 3/8" - 1/4" into my door jamb with a tacky rubber cap on it is really reassuring. I will likely post again when I dig into the panels but thanks again guys!

Oh and Tony, got that Bayson R installed last weekend and it looks great. Kinda wish I got a CF for the look but the lip is worth its weight in gold. I'm likely going to take it off when it snows though since it will likely act like a snow plow lol.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the spot where I need to have access to..

damage 2.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts
hah- lips are full of win :p before i did the '11 swap, i had the STI v-lip installed .... well... one snow storm later, the bottom of the bumper cracked cus of it >.> so deff take it off for the winter. ive always 'winterized' my cars haha aka- take off all body kits/panels lol

gl w/ the dent fix bro :) get that blue beauty bak to perfection :D

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gl w/ the dent fix bro :) get that blue beauty bak to perfection :D
thanks dan! getting the car back to perfection is top priority right now lol. i've even considered taking a sick day to get this over with... which i might still do... ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
def worth a PTO day! unless ur manager isnt a car person.... tell em u have chronic diahrrea.. im sure he'll let u (or ur car :p) heal up :D

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I may have to take off my lip for the winter.I don't want to use it as a snow plow.

Also going to do something to reinforce the front bumper.Too much flex.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I took a look at those clips and I can already see myself breaking them haha. I have a question about the black plastic part of panel. After I remove the tan portion of the interior panel is there any specific directions for removing the larger piece? It looks like its connected to the left and right liner which kinda makes me nervous about the removal.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
You have to take off the tan part first.Thats because the tan portion sort of slides into the lower black trim.And when you put it back you have to install the lower portion first.

But you should have access to the portion you want to work on without taking off the lower trim.If you have to then you will have to remove the screws inside the hooks.

I do not remember exactly but I think there are 2.One is a round hook on the side.The other is a square pull out hook on the bottom for which you have to pop out a small cover & unscrew the hook.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So no luck guys. Got the pillar off with no real problems but the area is not suitable for a PDR tool to get in there. The area is too thick with multiple layers so no luck :( the only way I see this getting fixed other than getting it into a professional shop and using body filler, is to fix the crease then glue pull. I guess when it takes off paint I can get it tuched up at a body shop.

But if it were to take off paint, maybe smaller than a dime, what should I do in the mean time to cover it so it doesn't rust? And if I were to do a DIY touch up, any helpful suggestions?

·
Registered
56 Posts
if u just need to get it set for the winter, and depending how 'good' of a job u want... u could do one of a few things.... get touchup paint and paint it, or... get ready for this rofl- use some nail polish or clear coat nail polish. it'll last u through the winter, and real easy to get off. acetone will take it off no prob, plus if ur gna paint it in the spring, it'll be sanded down anyways. totally up to u bud.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Dan. I don't know if I can last a season with a dime size bare metal of nothing on the car lol. I'm looking into some touch ups and if the paint gets chipped off bad I may invest into a body shop painting and matching it. I just hope the shop will not charge me too much to do a touch up on a little spot like that. Lets see if I can even get the dent out saturday first... I hope that PDR guy brings his A game.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sitting in the shop right now. Here's the breakdown: they are going to massage that dent out from the tail light. I didn't approve any drilling at the moment so that's the only way they can go about it. Glue pulling was eliminated as a choice off the bat because paint would 100% pull off. I was told off the bat the chances of being perfect again is not too likely due to the location. I can definitely accept that because it's a very tough spot.

Apparently they can't push on the top crease because the paint will literally flake off so I'm not sure what to expect. I will def have a side by side before and after for the thread. At the moment the key things for me to look for is the dent itself, paint condition, and push marks from the tech applying pressure from behind the car. Fingers crossed for a good outcome!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Uhh... It's a litte better? The quarter size spot has paint that resemble an egg shell. Cracks from every direction. For now I have applied some nail polish to keep the paint intact and from rust. Theres a small chip too... I guess I saw this coming so I'm gonna start saving up for a proper repair and respray for the area sometime in the spring.

For the mean time I'm at a tint shop now getting 30% all around to make myself feel better lol. Pics to come, I can't upload on my iPhone.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
photo.jpg photo (1).jpg photo (3).jpg

Here's some after shots. As you can see theres chipping/cracking all along the area. It is about the size of a quarter, not too big but I def wish it wasn't there lol. The last photo is with a coat of clear nail polish. Like Dan, the PDR guys suggested that I coat it with that or clear coat and wait till I get it professionally touched up. I'm starting to save now so that I can paint it right in the spring. So for now... gotta live with it lol.

Here's a pic of the new 30% all around!

photo (2).jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts