Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start by saying I hope I'm not repeating a thread, I did search but came up empty.

I live in a region with winter & was told I should always warm up the car before driving to make sure the turbo is getting oil. I do this but work at either 4am or 5am so I can't say I leave enough time for this to be convenient. I decided a remote start would make it easier. When I called the dealership they said there was no remote start for the manual tranny wrx. Does anyone know of an aftermarket option that will work for those of us that drive manual or am I sol?

Thanks in advance for answers & sorry if this is a repeat thread.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it looks like I have more research to do as far as what one to get & where to have it installed.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,576 Posts
Does anyone know of an aftermarket option that will work for those of us that drive manual or am I sol?
Neither. You are neither SOL nor is there really a rational way/reason to install a remote start on a manual gearbox car.

The turbo gets oil. What you were told doesn't make any sense. The owner's manual lists specifically the steps necessary to start and drive the car correctly, including warm-up. If it's not in the owner's manual, it is not reality.

I'd leave the car alone.

·
Super Moderator
10,890 Posts
You don't want to idle your car for long periods on cold oil like that. if you are concerned buy a pan heater.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
SJman, what does that mean exactly? Are you saying just let it warm up for a minute or two, then take off? Or is a 10 minute warm up not helping anything?

*EDIT** just adding a note to my questions, I will usually let the temp rise to over 180f before going nuts on the throttle anyway.

·
Super Moderator
10,890 Posts
Let it warm up for a minute or so and move on.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I checked my manual & did some extra research & it seems as though you were correct. Thanks! I ended up ordering rims instead.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Wise move to not do remote start. I have had a remote start and a block heater on past cars. Block heater on a timer is much better way to go to eliminate cold-starts. I start mine, wait for the tgv's to open full and the vacuum to jump to below -10, then go. This process takes less time than it takes me to buckle up, move the seat, turn on the radio, turn on the seat heater, turn on the lights with the block heater. With no block heater I sit and wait longer for the vacuum to jump down. With a remote start u still put a cold-start on the car. And Subaru sells the block heaters.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wise move to not do remote start. I have had a remote start and a block heater on past cars. Block heater on a timer is much better way to go to eliminate cold-starts. I start mine, wait for the tgv's to open full and the vacuum to jump to below -10, then go. This process takes less time than it takes me to buckle up, move the seat, turn on the radio, turn on the seat heater, turn on the lights with the block heater. With no block heater I sit and wait longer for the vacuum to jump down. With a remote start u still put a cold-start on the car. And Subaru sells the block heaters.

My 09 Legacy has remote start but that is an automatic. I definately love that feature. Ive been living without it since I got the 16 WRX with 6 speed. rqjoe, why does the vacuum drop from around -5 or so, to around -10 after first starting up the car? Ive wondered this since buying the car in May.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
To do with emmisions controls. Think it is while the ECU runs a self- test after startup, for proper emmisions controls functioning, or it is until something heats up enough to help control emissions. It is the tumble generator valves being partially closed that that gives the -5ish vacuum. When they open it goes to -10.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I let my '17 WRX run, while I go back inside and make coffee. It runs anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes, before diving off.
Our outside temps range from 30 to 45 in the morning and my garage is 5 or 10 degrees warmer.
Am I killing car, slowly or degrading it, by doing so?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,890 Posts
I let my '17 WRX run, while I go back inside and make coffee. It runs anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes, before diving off.
Our outside temps range from 30 to 45 in the morning and my garage is 5 or 10 degrees warmer.
Am I killing car, slowly or degrading it, by doing so?

Yes, but not enough to worry about. Cold oil doesn't flow well and takes more umph to get to the bearings. At those temperatures and inside your talking negligible if any issues. So instead of the engine being good for 300k it's close to 298k. It's that kind of difference.

I'd be more concerned with idling my car inside and dying of exhaust fumes.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'd be more concerned with idling my car inside and dying of exhaust fumes.

Well, that ain't happened yet, in 13 years of doing it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Block heaters are nice but a bit inconvenient, especially at the office. I don't really buy into the idea that idling a cold car for 10 minutes is somehow worse than driving it and putting load on it while it's cold. If you do it a lot, you should probably change your oil at shorter intervals since the engine hours are really what's important for oil life. And remote starting a manual gearbox car is completely feasible and definitely convenient. I have a proximity push button start system that the previous owner installed that was meant for an automatic, so I bypassed the clutch switch and now it remote starts, which is awesome when I'm at work and it's 10 degrees outside. Those of you wondering about remote start on a wrx or sti, ignore the naysayers and go for it! However, the install can be a bit challenging and some systems like mine (proximity key, external door handle lock button, remote start, push button start, auto window close, etc) are not user programmable, thus you have to have a shop do it. The manufacturer will not give the user a way to do it at all, sadly. I wanted to disable the alarm on mine because it's stupid and goes off when it shouldn't, but with no way to program it, I had to simply cut the wire to the horn haha!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just curious, how do you prevent a tech or someone else from doing a remote start when the car is left in gear? Wouldn't that at least cause the car to lurch forward (or backwards) or something worse if it actually were to start? If your car was to need service at a dealership, tire shop or other repair facility, I would think this would be a very real concern.

I know for a fact that 1 - 2016 Camaro SS (in 2016) with the TR6060 transmission was remote started at a dealership by a technician and it ended up in a lake.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just curious, how do you prevent a tech or someone else from doing a remote start when the car is left in gear? Wouldn't that at least cause the car to lurch forward (or backwards) or something worse if it actually were to start? If your car was to need service at a dealership, tire shop or other repair facility, I would think this would be a very real concern.

I know for a fact that 1 - 2016 Camaro SS (in 2016) with the TR6060 transmission was remote started at a dealership by a technician and it ended up in a lake.
Oh man, in the lake? Ouch! Well I guess you would have to warn them or un-bypass the clutch switch so it wouldn't work anymore. I have been curious what would happen if I attempt a remote start while it's in gear. I think it would lurch forward a bit, especially without parking brake engaged, but wouldn't start. The remote start programming only attempts to turn the car over for a second or so, at least that's how mine works because it has failed to start the car a couple times in near zero temps with my 6 year old battery. There certainly is a little risk involved with my setup. If you had a proper remote start made for manual transmissions, you could hook it up to the neutral switch I'm sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also, we don't use those services - we repair them ourselves and have two sets of wheels 😂 But for those who do take it in for services, definitely hook the clutch switch back up and tell them you have a remote starter made for an automatic and how you have to push the clutch and brake both when starting the car. I don't think many people use the type of setup mine has so it's probably uncommon. The previous owner really wanted that keyless push button start and they only had ones for automatics apparently in 2011.

·
Æternum
15,472 Posts
Car in lake.

Yes this really did happen to my friend.

I arrived on scene to take the car off the flatbed after it was extracted. Fish in the backseat -- almost comical. Not even kidding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts