Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you guys consider a reliable performance mod (adding hp), besides exhaust, which I already plan on getting? An example of what I would consider un-reliable is a boost controller, just so you know where I'm coming from. After all, this a subaru, not a ford mustake, and I could get 250,000+ miles if I babied it. I want to get as much life out of this car as I can!:)

·
Registered
339 Posts
As yourself, I'm also interested in reliability. That's why I chose a simple turbo upgrade. Turbos last a very long time and a properly chosen one can give very reliable hp increase. I'm running my turbo with all stock exhaust components with no problems what-so-ever. I have a bleed off valve for more boost right now, but I may close it off. Doesn't seem to be that much difference in performance either way.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Koyokod... I went to turbochargers.com but couldn't find the turbo you specified... where do I look? Which one am I looking for?:confused:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Look under current specials. You'll see a WRX stage 1 upgrade/good core. This is and OEM upgrade where they rebuild your turbo and install a bigger compressor wheel. I don't know what you goals are, but this turbo is good up to 300 hp. I've been very happy. Call them up and ask for Tommy.

·
1,911 Posts
To get solid reliability remove cats, choose your components wisely and make sure your fuel and timing curves are tuned well to your stage in modification. Lastly get a knock meter and EGT of some kind. Do that and you'll be able to enjoy the car for a LONG time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Koyokid... thanks for the info! How much extra hp did you get out of your upgraded turbo? How long did it take to get it back?

I will definitely be going with a Scooby Sport exhaust...up-pipe, down-pipe, center rear section, and muffler assembly! Basically I will be keeping one cat.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you're going fot the UP and DP, I would go for a VF turbo due to the fact that they have bigger turbines and will flow better. I'm keeping all the stock exhaust on my car, so a bigger turbine wouldn't be necessary for me. My turbo just has a better compressor, but it works very well for me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Changing the turbo without retuning the ecu, or using a piggyback computer will not equate to exactly reliable driving. Im sure if you keep the boost down, which you probably are doing, you will be fine, but then why do it in the first place? By changing the turbo, even if the boost is the same, you are still addming more air in the the cylinder head. Then you are altering fuel, timing advance, everything from the extra density of air.

Before I got my FP Green turbo on the Eclipse I had a T28/28 which flowed very very well. However without adding more fuel to the top end, I was running lean and my timing advance looked like garbage. Even though my ECU could compensate for it somewhat without the SAFC, repeated use with the timing drop I was getting and say bye bye to the nice 175 compression!!!

example on eclipse-
stock T25 turbo : ~450CFMs @ 1bar
T28/28 : 515CFMs @ 1bar

even though the boost is the same, the air density is increased. Thus the need for more fuel!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Unichips and other ECU replacements have had alot more issues overall.

I don't feel people give the stock ECU enough credit. I've had absolutely no timing/fuel issues at all. The fact is the stock TD04 is inefficient. Uping the boost on a TD04 just adds more heat and that's where I feel alot of the issues come in. Cooler air means more hp and the ECU has been acting just fine at 12 to 15 psi. The car is faster at 12 psi than it was at 15 psi with the stock turbo and the boost monkey. Now, w/o EM, I'm sure I'm not getting 100% of the potential of this turbo, but that's fine because my hp goals are not high. I got what I wanted, more mid-range torque and higher end hp.

The stock ECU is very smart and excellent at protecting itself. I'm sure alot more people would have blown engines were it not for the stock ECU. If your goals are over 270 crank hp, get EM. If not, stick with the stock one and do some conservative, well chosen mods that the stock ECU can handle. Do some research. My goals are to make a more efficient machine. The stock turbo is not efficient for our cars.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was contemplating getting a UTEC, because you can drive around in "stock mode" all day... and then when you want to race, just hit a button and go to a different map, then switch back to stock mode later! But I was hoping that people could recommend more mods like exhaust... simple but reliable power.
Thanks for all the input so far! But keep it comin'.:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Like God says, remove your cats for the best reliable performance increase. It wont actually give you tons of hp, just make your car rev faster, thus accelerate faster.
-jm

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like I said earlier, I will be getting exhaust... MRT or PDE uppipe, Scooby Sport turboback minus center rear section... basically I'll have one cat. I'm looking for suggestions for more "bolt-on" performance like exhaust. EXCEPT little things like air filters... I really don't care about 1 or 2 hp. I'm also mainly concerned with 0-60 times and not 1/4 mile. Can you put any brand of Hi-Flow cat into any brand of exhaust? Are they universal, or does each company make hi-flow cats specifically for their products?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok... I'm not a tuner but I can tell you some stories...

Pullies that lack a harmonic ballancer (any but stock) have the potential to cause problems... (yes there is a reason it's there).

as far as loosing all your cats... well so far I have one gone.
At some point of increasing flow, fuel management will be needed.

A diffrent turbo will help keep boost on the higher end, but here again some management may/will be needed.
At the time you're thinking turbo ask yourself if you realy need it... are you looking for more stable boost at high RPM or just more preasure over all???

Boost controll is a can of worms... I have heard that 16psi is the max recomended, but without a knocklink, EGT gauge & 93+ octaine fuel... I can't say you won't destroy something on a hot muggy night...

The factory has a lot of tricks to it... The ECU at WOT (wide open throttle) has a set fueling map hence pulled timing if run lean conditions exist. If you add Samco Hoses, a CAI, no cats, add some equal leingth headers, knife edge the throttle body, & run 15 psi I'm pretty sure you're beyond the factory ECU, & starting to tax the stock fuel deilvery system...

you're not going to have a relible car running STI power without the heart of the fueling of the STI...

I want my car to last into the 100k mile range. Even a hand full of minor mods in a car without a lot of gauges & something like a utec is a ticking time bomb...

Even simple packages are chipped
Cobb - club spec. (Turbo back, samco hoses, CAI, mbc )
Vishnu - stage 0 (uppipe, vishnu hoses, mbc, "power pully" )

·
Registered
46 Posts
GLwagon said:
l... I can't say you won't destroy something on a hot muggy night...

The only part i don't agree with, I'm pretty sure humidity is not bad, in fact it's actually good IIRC, I think it provides a bit of protection from detonation.-James

1 - 15 of 15 Posts