ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 wrx and in its current form I just have catless dp, borla hush, spt intake, HOA 3port, and opensource tune.

I have researched this topic and it just leaves me at forks in the road so I figured Id get an updated opinion.

I will be ordering a set of Killerbee Holy headers, and I was thinking of removing the stock turbo and getting it ported and polished but from my searching I have come to understand it really isnt worth the time or money.

I have been searching on reliable turbo upgrades and the goal is fairly modest, I would just like 300-320whp but I would like for it to be reliable for daily driving, long trips etc.

I heard that ball bearing turbos are the way to go, and upon looking found that the VF23 turbo would suit my needs best and than I also found that its a fairly old design. Than I kept searching and read about the VF30/34 and am thoroughly confused on what would be best for my needs. Now Im turning to some of the more familiar people on here to figure out some of the pros/cons in your eyes.

Like I said Im looking for 300-320whp but I dont want to be overboosting the turbo or stressing it to the point where it could fail, and I would also like for it to spool up as fast as possible to avoid turbo lag.

-Dave

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
What dyno are you looking to hit 300-320whp on? They all read differently...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it will be getting retuned after the headers and whatever turbo/fuel upgrades are necessary at AMS performance here in chicago area. I took a quick look at there website but I didnt see right away what kind of dyno they used.

I mean it doesnt have to be like exactly 300-320. I dont care that much about numbers as long as its in the general ballpark. As long as its close and it accelerates pretty smoothly Ill be happy. I care more about function. Dont the 18g spool up at like 3200 or something? I would prefer for it to spool up quicker than that which is why I was looking into the VF23 or VF30/34. But was more interested in what you all thought about the design of the turbos for longevity. Cause id prefer to not have the turbo fail in 15k miles or something like that.

I have read the sticky threads about all the power and modifications BS, but like I said upon further research I guess it just got a little hazy on what the best choices were. As far as a budget goes, I dunno id prefer not to spend a grand on a new turbo, cause if the headers adn a tune are gonna get me close I prolly wont waste another grand on a turbo just for 20-30whp. Only thing is than Id have to pull off my turbo and get it P&P to help prevent boost spike.

Thanks guys.
-Dave

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
I believe AMS has both a Mustang and Dynojet.

What's your total budget?

The 18G may "spool" slower than a VF-series turbo, but it will make more power everywhere in the RPM range.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Budget: I havent actually set a budget to be quiet honest. As long as it is somewhat reasonable. My friend said he should be able to get the VF23 for under 600 bucks and for that I have no issues. I guess it all depends on what supporting mods are needed. Cause I believe I read if the 23 is kept below 18psi no fuel mods are needed on the 06/07s. But with an 18g I think I would need a pump and injectors? Im not trying to be stubborn at all just trying to get all the correct information to make a thought out decision before just buying something.

What is the differences in prices than? Is it worth buying the 18g over the VF23 or VF34? Cause from what Ive read the 23 and 34 would get me into my target range and have good spool up time. I understand the 18g makes more power, but I guess its not really my target or goals at the moment. Unless the 23 or 34 is gonna cost a ton. I should be getting a price on the VF23 within the next few days so Ill know for sure than.

I mean I understand if you guys may have a biased towards the 18g, but it just doesnt seem like its what I necessarily need/want unless you can elaborate more on it besides for it will make more power. Cause from reading its good to 400whp with proper supporting mods which I will pretty much have or will have in regards of fuel, so the tuner would have to keep it tuned down to keep it around 300whp and Ill still have pretty bad turbo lag than. And yes it is still the stock 5spd. I understand its the weak point, but I do tend to drive slow and granny shift for the most part.

-Dave

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
dwint21 said:
Budget: I havent actually set a budget to be quiet honest. As long as it is somewhat reasonable. My friend said he should be able to get the VF23 for under 600 bucks and for that I have no issues. I guess it all depends on what supporting mods are needed. Cause I believe I read if the 23 is kept below 18psi no fuel mods are needed on the 06/07s. But with an 18g I think I would need a pump and injectors? Im not trying to be stubborn at all just trying to get all the correct information to make a thought out decision before just buying something.
You can make an 18G work with stock injectors, but it wouldn't be worth the money. A VF-series turbo will max out injectors on the 2.5L as well.

You should be buying a fuel pump, regardless.

dwint21 said:
What is the differences in prices than? Is it worth buying the 18g over the VF23 or VF34? Cause from what Ive read the 23 and 34 would get me into my target range and have good spool up time. I understand the 18g makes more power, but I guess its not really my target or goals at the moment. Unless the 23 or 34 is gonna cost a ton. I should be getting a price on the VF23 within the next few days so Ill know for sure than.
More power everywhere in the RPM band (that includes low-end power). It won't have the surge that a TD04/VFXX may have, but it will be faster.
Better off-boost response
Smoother power onset should be "safer" for the transmission.

dwint21 said:
I mean I understand if you guys may have a biased towards the 18g, but it just doesnt seem like its what I necessarily need/want unless you can elaborate more on it besides for it will make more power. Cause from reading its good to 400whp with proper supporting mods which I will pretty much have or will have in regards of fuel, so the tuner would have to keep it tuned down to keep it around 300whp and Ill still have pretty bad turbo lag than.
The Blouch turbo I would recommend (link) is rated to 430bhp, likely netting you 320-350whp with pump gas, depending on the dyno.

By tuning the Blouch setup conservatively (instead of aggressively tuning the VFXX) to your power levels, you will have a cooler air charge, making detonation less likely. Detonation kills motors.

I would say skip the KillerBMotorsports header and spend the money on the Blouch turbo / injectors / TMIC.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that was the response I was looking for haha. Thanks so much. And to be honest I really Dont like the surge of power. I would prefer a much smoother power band instead of the sudden kick to the seat.

I found a walbro 255 for 90 bucks so that isnt a bad investment to me whatsoever. I need to do a but more research on the injectors though because I do not know much about them except for I think the 06 had 565 injectors, not sure if that means the 07 does also. Like I said, it will take more research unless you have a quick answer.

This has been very helpful to me, thanks for your help.

Which blouch 18g? Ive been kinda just looking over the turbo list on NASIOC and ive found a blouch 18g with the TD05 or TD06. Any insight or opinion on the two?

-Dave

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Expanding a bit on my previous post:
EJ257 said:
I would say skip the KillerBMotorsports header and spend the money on the Blouch turbo / injectors / TMIC.
The KBM header is a beautiful piece (I've debated it myself for a rotated build). However, for what you'd spend on it, you're better off investing other places where you would be "skimping". A quality TMIC like ProcessWest will have a lower pressure drop, meaning better spool/response, and increased cooling ability. The combination of this allows you to tune more aggressively, while maintaining the same level of safety. That, paired with the benefits of the Blouch turbo mentioned earlier, leads me to recommend that for your setup.

dwint21 said:
I found a walbro 255 for 90 bucks so that isnt a bad investment to me whatsoever.
They can be found cheaper, but $90 isn't bad.

dwint21 said:
I need to do a but more research on the injectors though because I do not know much about them except for I think the 06 had 565 injectors, not sure if that means the 07 does also. Like I said, it will take more research unless you have a quick answer.
They are around that.

You'll want 750cc injectors for an 18G on pump gas:
WRX 2002-11 | WRX | Subaru | Sport Compact | Fuel Injectors | DeatschWerks

You can go larger (more headroom, leaving the possibility of E85 in the future), but those would be fine. You can save money buying used, but if you do that, make sure to get them cleaned/flowtested before installation; DW also offers this service. Vendors often will give you a discount when buying a fuel pump and injectors together. Shoot Kronos Performance a PM...

dwint21 said:
Which blouch 18g? Ive been kinda just looking over the turbo list on NASIOC and ive found a blouch 18g with the TD05 or TD06. Any insight or opinion on the two?
The same one I linked to in the last post :D

Subaru WRX/STi TD05H-18G-XT

No "Options", WRX Oil Feed Line, 8cm Turbine Housing

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would the oil/coolant lines be transferable from the stock turbo the 18g? I assume yes if you recommended the one with no options.

And about the KBM header, yea it looks amazing which is why I want it. But we will see, Ill talk to the tuners when they reopen after the new year and see what he says from past experiences and his recommendations.

But this gives me a much better understanding on what to get and expect. Thanks for all your help.

-Dave

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
dwint21 said:
Would the oil/coolant lines be transferable from the stock turbo the 18g? I assume yes if you recommended the one with no options.
You may be able to, but consider that $50 as insurance for the new turbo and buy one.

The "no options" part was in reference to the coated turbine housing, upgraded actuator, or the 3" compressor inlet (that are in the "Options" section). Buy a new oil feed line, and go with the 8cm turbine housing option.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds good I wasnt sure. I would have probably got new lines anyway as to assure I wouldnt have any leaks.

Is it a worth while upgrade to do the turbo inlet hose while I have the turbo off? Does it make it easier than normal? I would imagine so, but just looking for some of the more experienced peoples opinions.

-Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts