Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what the reliability is like with the stage 4 turboxs, like what type of engine life am i lookin at here. Also whats it drive like; is it good down low as well as up high or does it suck for city driving etc. Any info will help, thanks.

·
1,263 Posts
have it - love it.
It is just fine for round town and canes it out and about, both highway and twisties.

As far as engine life - I heard a number of 75k miles but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So as long as i dont overboost im good for a few years of engine life, sounds good.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Sorry for the n00b question, but Aussie:

At 75k, what happens to it? I assume it would start to break down?

·
1,263 Posts
I am told you get to the point where you have worn the rings out and that the block has taken a beating. A closed deck block can help prevent this (so I am told). I am by no means an authority on this - just some stuff I was told when I asked about the consequences of modding my car (being an engineer I know you never get something for nothing!!!)

More power vs greater wear and tear.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep wear and tear is the price for a 12 sec 1/4 mile WRX, but oh is it worth it:D

·
Registered
404 Posts
75k isn't a problem, its an opportunity...

To build it out to take even more boost :D

I'm going Turbo XS Stage 2 --> Stage 4 --> Bigger IC. By the time 75k rolls around, engine internals for our engines will have come down in price a lot, similar to DSM cars.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: 75k isn't a problem, its an opportunity...

koji said:
To build it out to take even more boost :D

I'm going Turbo XS Stage 2 --> Stage 4 --> Bigger IC. By the time 75k rolls around, engine internals for our engines will have come down in price a lot, similar to DSM cars.
Good point, the price of forged internals has already dropped...I think the bigger issue will be finding a qualified person to do the rebiuld...

My plan is to return mine to stock and trade it on an STI or Evo when they come out, if they aren't watered down too much

·
Registered
404 Posts
Not a bad plan

Looks like the Evo is going to have 276hp from the factory in US trim, with potential for a lot more since it can use engine componenets from other DSM cars.

Subaru will have to counter with something in that HP range, its a big issue in Japan right now with what to bring over here. We'll see when and what it is, but I'd expect performace at or better than the Evo.

I wonder though, will it be worth the price premium over the current WRX...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: Not a bad plan

koji said:
Looks like the Evo is going to have 276hp from the factory in US trim, with potential for a lot more since it can use engine componenets from other DSM cars.

Subaru will have to counter with something in that HP range, its a big issue in Japan right now with what to bring over here. We'll see when and what it is, but I'd expect performace at or better than the Evo.

I wonder though, will it be worth the price premium over the current WRX...
It will only be worth the price if we get the full boogie brakes, differentails, and most of all the trans :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts