ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the site, only my third post. Enjoying my 09 WRX. I was looking at getting the K&N Typhoon intake after seeing a review on Car and Driver - 17 HP and 21 pound feet at the wheels. I have seen both the positive and negative thoughts on intakes - but this seems like a reasonable increase in power for the $.

That said my question, they are not CARB approved, although I do not live in California I do live in NY thus emissions testing. Would I pass, K&N could not answer the question? Sorry if the is a newbie question.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
You'll be fine.

With that said, you're not going to get those types of power gains on a stock vehicle with just an intake.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
It will not have an effect on the emissions test results but I'm not sure about a visual.

I don't think anyone has ever gotten anywhere near those numbers for just an intake on a stock WRX.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Boost > NA
809 Posts
Manufacture claims are always very LIBERAL. Always keep this in mind while shopping. Your best bet 9 times out of 10 is to hop on here and ask around if anybody has any experience with a certain product.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was froma Dyno....

The results were dyno tested, not manufacturers claims. Interesting article, the link was posted in my prior post. I am inclined to believe them, especially as they spoke less highly of the exhaust, at least in terms of power.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Paradox00 said:
Well just going off what the article said, do we want to believe the media haha:

Five Steps to Making More Power in Your Subaru WRX - Gear Box - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

Seems odd that Car and Driver would fib about the results, interesting article to say the least....I am definitely in for one when I can confirm I will pass inspection....Again check out the article, curious to know your thoughts.
Paradox00 said:
The results were dyno tested, not manufacturers claims. Interesting article, the link was posted in my prior post. I am inclined to believe them, especially as they spoke less highly of the exhaust, at least in terms of power.
Hmm, do we want to believe a magazine that lives/dies by their sponsors (I'm sure K&N is one of them), or the community, that has years of experience?

Even at StageII power levels with a custom tune, an intake will not gain you that much power.

mycologist said:
It will not have an effect on the emissions test results but I'm not sure about a visual.
Visual inspection in NY only requires the shop to look at the ECDs - an intake will not affect inspection.

·
Registered
743 Posts
:rotfl:

I can't wait to see your dynosheet where your K&N intake gives you 17hp/21tq, post it up in this thread k?

Did you read the WHOLE article??

Not just an intake pal, much more stuff :) As previosly stated by EJ257, I'd be hardpress'd to believe an intake alone even @ stage 2 gives you 17hp/21tq

Waiter, Check Please!

K&N Typhoon kit.................................................................. $322*
Magnaflow exhaust............................................................ $774*
Cobb Tuning AccessPort................................................... $695
Cobb Tuning downpipe...................................................... $595
Custom engine tune............................................................ $460
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 tires....................................... $732
Total................................................................................ $3578
*Suggested price, actual retail price may differ.
I'd forget what magazines say and start listening to senior members in here who have experience with these cars/motors..... my advice to you friend.

·
Boost > NA
809 Posts
Hmm, do we want to believe a magazine that lives/dies by their sponsors (I'm sure K&N is one of them), or the community, that has years of experience?
Not to mention non-bias. Most people you will talk to on this forum, are into what works. Period. Most bang for your buck, most power for your money. Heed the warnings of the resident members here, this is not the first thread I have been in featuring this article and had this argument.

·
Banned
6,622 Posts
As said, you will not get anywhere near those results with just that intake.

Never ever ever trust big time manufacturer or magazine article claims.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Check out the actual magazine when you get a chance, I guarantee you there is an add in there for the K&N intake series. The magazine will make their sponsors look good in any way that they can, trust me, there is absolutely no way you will EVER see an increase like that from an intake on your car.

In fact, more often than not, an intake does more harm than good on Subaru's.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys - K&N Typhoon

Wow did I spark something or what, haha. I do appreciate the advice and the results seemed high, that's why I asked for everyone's opinion. The article does state 17/21 as to HP and TQ increases, with the intake ALONE - without the other mods, actually less with the other mods (until the pro-tune). Just seemed like a good deal, and again I appreciate the advice.

Magnaflow also advertises in the mag, and they didn't speak highly of it, just stiring the pot. Also their test of the SPT Subbie, was slower than stock, so again that's why I then came to you guys the experts - maybe I just wanted to believe. If any one else sees reviews, or has exp with this intake glad to hear, and the includes the bad news too.

Any decent power increase mods, outside of Stage I/II that don't void the warranty? None that easily jump out at me.

Thanks guys!

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Wow did I spark something or what, haha. I do appreciate the advice and the results seemed high, that's why I asked for everyone's opinion. The article does state 17/21 as to HP and TQ increases, with the intake ALONE - without the other mods, actually less with the other mods (until the pro-tune). Just seemed like a good deal, and again I appreciate the advice.

Magnaflow also advertises in the mag, and they didn't speak highly of it, just stiring the pot. Also their test of the SPT Subbie, was slower than stock, so again that's why I then came to you guys the experts - maybe I just wanted to believe. If any one else sees reviews, or has exp with this intake glad to hear, and the includes the bad news too.

Any decent power increase mods, outside of Stage I/II that don't void the warranty? None that easily jump out at me.

Thanks guys!
We're here to help, and yeah intakes are always a subject of debate here, so just be prepared for that in the future. :)

I had the K&N typhoon intake on my 02 WRX, it came with the car when I bought it, and I took it off almost immediately. I didn't have any logging software and my butt dyno didn't tell me anything, but based on what professional tuners have said about the stock intake, I was more than happy to follow their advice. Don't upgrade the intake until you absolutely have to, which means a hefty turbo upgrade.

As for your power mods, just about anything meant to deliver more horsepower has to be tuned for, which means voiding the warranty if caught. I'd start off with suspension mods and getting your car driving the way you want it too, then when you're comfortable with power modification and the ramifications thereof, switch to engine modification.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
We're here to help, and yeah intakes are always a subject of debate here, so just be prepared for that in the future. :)

I had the K&N typhoon intake on my 02 WRX, it came with the car when I bought it, and I took it off almost immediately. I didn't have any logging software and my butt dyno didn't tell me anything, but based on what professional tuners have said about the stock intake, I was more than happy to follow their advice. Don't upgrade the intake until you absolutely have to, which means a hefty turbo upgrade.

As for your power mods, just about anything meant to deliver more horsepower has to be tuned for, which means voiding the warranty if caught. I'd start off with suspension mods and getting your car driving the way you want it too, then when you're comfortable with power modification and the ramifications thereof, switch to engine modification.

I disagree with you fully.

I have the K&N Short Ram, and have had it since about 10k miles (I'm coming up on 50). This "Don't upgrade the intake until you have to" crap is getting old. It's been proven by many websites, independent tuners, etc. that intakes do provide a small gain, and even more so with a tune... even at stock power.

The biggest "fear" of intakes pretty much stems from the earlier models of most intake manufacturers (except APS, SPT, Cobb and K&N) causing leaning, and needing tunes.

a short ram intake WITH A HEAT SHIELD such as SPT, or K&N, or an APS CAI will not throw off mafs, and will improve performance. In addition, I enjoy the sound, and it helps satisfy many young adult's need for the "pshhh" of a blow off valve.

CARB is (in my opinion) a method in which California is attempting to fight street racing. Most open cone filters are not allowed by CARB, but that doesn't mean anything for the other 49 states. An intake that has the same diameter piping for the MAF as the original MAF housing, will not throw off AFRs, and will not change the emissions significantly one way or another. No visual inspection in the 49 states will cause a failure just for a K&N intake. They only check ECD's (Emission Control Devices) such as air pumps, catalytic converters, charcoal boxes, etc.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Kev, the OP thinks he WILL gain 17hp/21tq with the K&N Typhoon alone - does that sound right at all to you??

You said it yourself, a small gain - the OP didn't read the article correctly, because nowhere does that caranddriver article say the K&N intake puts out those numbers, the dynosheet was that of the intake in conjunction with the exhaust cobb accessport tuning amongst other things.

If that's the case my AVO Panel Filter gave me 22hp/37tq ;)

I have the K&N Short Ram, and have had it since about 10k miles (I'm coming up on 50). This "Don't upgrade the intake until you have to" crap is getting old. It's been proven by many websites, independent tuners, etc. that intakes do provide a small gain, and even more so with a tune... even at stock power.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
the OP didn't read the article correctly, because nowhere does that caranddriver article say the K&N intake puts out those numbers, the dynosheet was that of the intake in conjunction with the exhaust cobb accessport tuning amongst other things.
Five Steps to Making More Power in Your Subaru WRX - Gear Box - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

Read the article before knocking on the guy. It does say those numbers for just the intake in that article.

Car And Driver is considered a reputable source by many and there is no reason to knock on this guy. In addition, this is on the 09 WRX instead of an 08. I'm not saying that the numbers aren't absolutely inflated, because they appear to be. But until someone else does a before and after dyno for the K&N on the 2009 WRX... it's the only before and after I've seen.

Paradox00... The K&N intake is a great intake. In my opinion, it's the absolute best short ram intake that money can buy. If you're wanting to purchase an intake, then do so! It's pretty in the engine bay, gives a little bit more power, sounds cool, and helps a little on gas mileage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the support, haha

Wow a little support, haha and at least I know I am reading correctly. I do honestly appreciate all the advice, and I know even if these numbers indeed are correct they would not register with the butt dyno. I have done mods on my past vehicles, but this is first Subbie, and first turbo, C-5 Vette before, and then a 350Z.

I was inclined to believe C&D, but they did seem inflated even to me. At this point I need to protect the warranty, alas I know the good stuff will void it...I actually like the stock suspension living in New York City, and commuting daily I don't need it a like my Vette, always thought things were going to fall off and did, haha. The subbie has already developed plenty of rattles in the dash and only 4.5k miles....Uggghhhh....Anyone else have this problem? :D

·
Registered
743 Posts
Its things like this that make me go hard and learn more and investigate with that being said YOU'RE RIGHT the article does say the intake gives 17hp/21tq however my friend according to the article it states "It has preset engine maps for various states of tune, but none that accounts for an aftermarket intake"

So as I read this it's my understanding that we just have to take the word of caranddriver.com on the hp/tq numbers rather then seeing a dyno of it???? LOL you gotta be kiddin me right??? :screwy:

I'm not tellin the OP to NOT get the intake, I'm advising him that he will NOT see 17hp/21tq from an intake alone albeit an 09 WRX - everything is the same other then the turbos used - now if you want to inform me on something then let me know if an intake will provide more power for the VF52 vs the TD04-13T

Read the article before knocking on the guy. It does say those numbers for just the intake in that article.

Car And Driver is considered a reputable source by many and there is no reason to knock on this guy. In addition, this is on the 09 WRX instead of an 08. I'm not saying that the numbers aren't absolutely inflated, because they appear to be. But until someone else does a before and after dyno for the K&N on the 2009 WRX... it's the only before and after I've seen.

Paradox00... The K&N intake is a great intake. In my opinion, it's the absolute best short ram intake that money can buy. If you're wanting to purchase an intake, then do so! It's pretty in the engine bay, gives a little bit more power, sounds cool, and helps a little on gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts

/\ I think your over generalizing that whole statement. And the only tests I have seen are for stage 2 STI's or stock STI's.

The biggest "fear" of intakes pretty much stems from the earlier models of most intake manufacturers (except APS, SPT, Cobb and K&N) causing leaning, and needing tunes.

/\ Again,over generalized. SRI's are a different beast than a CAI. You didn't differentiate.

a short ram intake WITH A HEAT SHIELD such as SPT, or K&N, or an APS CAI will not throw off mafs, and will improve performance.

Not always. The SPT most defiantly caused some problems especially for 06+ WRX's and the ones for the Legacy GT. Thats why the dealerships offered reflashes for those intakes. And my APS CAI required me to rescale the MAF.
On a stock car the fueling is somewhat rich enough to fix most problems durring Openloop fueling,but not always. Slap an intake on a car with EM not tuned for an intake you will possibly run into problems with lean conditions in Openloop fueling. You really want to know if its going to be a problem? Buy a wideband. Not saying all intakes are problematic but as far as the newer WRX's are concerned I would be careful.

Wow,great intake test. Especially with the dyno sheet showing afr's. There is NO info provided but a power number. That is a joke. This is an intake test:

Harman Motive Blog 2007 STI Intake Test – Harman Motive Style

1 - 20 of 21 Posts