ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...I am looking to get a Turbo back exhaust on my 2002 Rex Sedan. Will this mod make my car fail NJ state emissions? Also, how much am I looking to spend on a good one?

btw, how much HP gain would I see with it? My rex is stock now, minus the silencer.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

thanks

maz

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Not sure about New Jersey, but I would imagine it would fail. If it's catless, it'll probably fail emissions. You're best bet is to replace the stock downpipe when you go in for emissions.

I recommend a Helix downpipe. You can get these prices from the vendor here named "Gruppe-S":
Includes catback exhaust and helix downpipe (turboback)
It also comes with a Helix CEL fix and gaskets.

A'pexi GT Spec Exhaust - $829.00
Blitz NUR-Spec Exhaust - $829.00
Greddy EVO Exhaust - $829.00
HKS Hiper Exhaust - $819.00
HKS Carbon/Ti Exhaust - $989.00

There website is http://www.gruppe-s.com/

I'd say you'd probably gain around 20 WHP.
But I think you should get an uppipe with the turboback. It's only $150 more, and you can gain around 30 WHP all together.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
blackrexNJ said:
wow, cool thanks for all the info......is an uppipe included when buying a TB exh? or is the Downpipe included?

Also, I just saw this on Ebay...3 hrs left, says its a full TB exh...its at $305 now
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7916015976&category=33630

No problem.

An Uppipe is not included in a turboback exhaust. Turboback is a downpipe + catback exhaust. And Uppipe goes from the manifold to the turbo, and the turbo connects to the downpipe.

Gruppe-S offers a power package that includes the Helix uppipe, Helix downpipe, and a catback of your choice.
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37581&highlight=power+package

If I were you, I wouldn't rush right into getting that turboback from ebay. I would do a little more research before you buy something.
You should look into power gains, sound, quality, etc. You should decide if you want a really loud or quiet exhaust, and if you want a big muffler, or a stock looking muffler.
As for sound, go here for a lot of sound clips:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58111
Some of the clips have a downpipe along with a catback, so it will give you a good idea of what it sounds like.

Personally, I wouldn't want to but a no name turboback from ebay. But that's just me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your right, and Im gonna do a bit of research before buying a system like this. Im gonna check out that Grupp website and Ill continue from there.

thanks for all your help Blue EJ20 WRX.

:)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
blackrexNJ said:
your right, and Im gonna do a bit of research before buying a system like this. Im gonna check out that Grupp website and Ill continue from there.

thanks for all your help Blue EJ20 WRX.

:)

No problem, man.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually, one more question....Right now, I shouldnt get the complete system because im jobless and should keep my money until I get another job....

I could, however afford to get just an Up-pipe for now and have it installed until I can really afford the Full system.

Would I see any improvements with just the Up-pipe for now?
would you suggest I get the uppipe for now?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
blackrexNJ said:
actually, one more question....Right now, I shouldnt get the complete system because im jobless and should keep my money until I get another job....

I could, however afford to get just an Up-pipe for now and have it installed until I can really afford the Full system.

Would I see any improvements with just the Up-pipe for now?
would you suggest I get the uppipe for now?

Yeah, an Uppipe is a good mod, even without the turboback. It'll work even better once you get a turboback.

You can gain 10-12 WHP. Some people even say 15 WHP.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
excellent...thanks for everything. Im gonna order the UP shortly.....any you recommend.

I have my eyes on a brand new HKS for $150 shipped......I really dont want to spend any more that $200 for an uppipe right now

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Sure thing.

I might add, if you're getting the uppipe first, then downpipe and catback later, I would reccomend you get a Godspeed Uppipe. It's the same price ($199) as the Helix, and it won't trigger any CEL's.
If you want to check out the Godspeed, this there website.
http://www.godspeedinc.com/
This is a direct like to there WRX parts: http://www.godspeedinc.com/WRX.html
Scroll down a little bit for the Uppipe. (It's the third picture)

As for the HKS uppipe, you won't get as good of gains opposed to Godspeed and Helix. I've also heard the HKS uppipe has broken lose on the bottom flange a few times on some people's.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ooh yeah, dont wanna trigger the cel. So then I will order the godspeed UPipe. So all I need to do is just have it installed and thats it?

guess i have to call godspeed to order it......they dont seem to have online ordering on their site.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok..ill send him an email on monday.

Are there any other UpPipes that dont trigger the CEL?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just saw this on Ninos auto access... it has the CEL fix
http://www.ninosautoaccessories.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=28

Sonin WRX/STI Uppipe $199.99

Click to enlarge
This is the best uppipe for the WRX/STi you can buy. Sonin Engineering's up-pipe is manufactured to the highest quality standards using mandrel bent 321 stainless steel. The 1.75” pipe matches the turbo inlet perfectly ensuring minimal disruption in exhaust gas flow due to turbulence. All joints are 100% TIG welded for rigidity and long life. The ½ inch flanges are machine cut for optimum acurracy as well as fit and finish and all the flange faces are surface milled perfectly flat to insure a leak free seal.

The EGT sensor is eliminated to prevent the ECU from recieveing modified signals due to the higher flow that can hinder performance as well as cause a CEL.

Each uppipe comes with Doorman studs, EGT resistor fix, comprehensive installation directions, and a limited LIFETIME WARRANTY.

Fitment - MY02 - MY04 WRX, MY04 WRX STi, and MY04 Forester.

All Sonin Engineering parts are intended for off-road use only.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I haven't really heard of Sonin before. But I don't think eliminating the EGT sensor is such a good idea.

I just checked, and the Helix uppipe comes with gaskets, and it has free shipping. So everything will cost $199 + tax shipped to your door.
You should give gruppe-s an email, asking if a CEL fix is included, or if the uppipe doesn't trigger a CEL.
There email is: [email protected]

Godspeed may charge $30 for a pair of uppipe gaskets. And they might charge shipping, too. So, just find out what's the best price Dan can give you shipped with the gaskets as well.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I just had a Sonin UP installed by Precision Tuning. It's a good firts mod because it gets rid of any hazardous material before the turbo. If you do this, you can still pass NJ emissions(which won't be able to put your car on the rollers, AWD baby!!:wiggles: )because you will still have 2 cats in the downpipe.
Sonin parts are made by Nino's and are quality stuff.
Check out Precision Tuning to do the install, it's just easier that way. Trust me.
www.PrecisionTuning.com

hth, mike

·
Registered
500 Posts
Keep Godspeed in mind for your downpipe too. I have it and it is a pretty easy install and great fit. It also wont trigger CEL's and Godspeed welds a mechanical fix onto it that will allow you to pass ODBII. I am in NJ, so the Godspeed was my first choice, no CEL's yet...have to wait til 06 to tell you about inspection though, haha. I also have the nino's uppipe.......go to precisiontuning.com, $259 installed....awesome price, awesome people.....good luck modding! :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts