ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE - Reflective Grill Bagde Front and Back $10 HOW-TO

So I tried painting the side badge of my '11 wrx red and it turned out great.

I had seen other posts on painting the front grill badge but I did not want to have the paint chip off easy and it look like crap in a year. So driving home today it just hit me. Why not use reflective tape. I dont know if this has been done or not but I thought i would give it a try. So a trip to Crappy-tire and here is my step by step for those who would like to try.

Items needed:
Reflective Tape
Exacto Knife
Scotch Tape
Brake Clean
Steady Hand and Patience

1) I made a stencil first to get the proper shape. I laid a piece of paper over the badge and creased the edges.

2) After cutting out the stencil i checked to make sure it would be a good fit

3) Tape the stencil down onto the reflective tape then tape it down to a soft cutting surface

4) Carefully cut it out then check again with the badge to see if it is the correct size

5) Repeat for the R&X. The R is quite difficult and took a relitivly long time cut it out. Here are a few pictures of the final result.

Indoor picture

Outdoor with camera flash

Outdoor from the side

Outdoor with the lights on

I used brake clean to take off all the oils on the badge before applying the tape. When you cut out the tape, make sure you go deep and cut the tape and sticky backing all the way through so that it will not separate at the corners when you peel it away. Use a metal ruler for cutting all the sides to keep them straight.

So 2 hours and $10 later I think it looks great. I was impressed with how bright it was from just my camera flash. I wonder how it looks coming from the brake lights of a car infront of you. I dont know how long this will stand up in the weather but the tape seemed quite strong, thick and durable. At least its quickly reversable if it turns to crap in a few months.

If it holds up well, maybe I will do the rear badge Also could look good if you could somehow place it behind the Subaru logo to replace the blue.

Well hope it works out if you try it. Leave feedback.

·
Registered
510 Posts
that looks awesome dude :thumbup:

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Interesting idea :thumbup:

I'm curious how this will hold up to the elements, considering your car will see snow/salt...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting idea :thumbup:

I'm curious how this will hold up to the elements, considering your car will see snow/salt...

ya, i guess time wil tell. i was wondering if there is a clear film that can be applied over top or it to seal the edges, something like a shrink wrap that can be heated. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Nice cosmetic mod for sure. Worst case it falls off and a bottle of goo off will take ya back to ground zero.

:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
i like it. it's a different idea and seemed to come out pretty nice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I decided to do the rear badge. I got all fancy and professional like and did an AutoCAD stencil undersized .045". Here are a few pics in my garage. Ill take a few outside at night soon. If anyone wants the .dwg of the stencil PM me and ill send it. Ill try to figure out a way to print it to scale in a PDF and update later.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
That is kinda cool...and with proper precision, it would look close to stock on the STI badge I imagine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's looks awesome. It might be possible to protect it from the elements by taping everything near it off and covering it with a layer of clearcoat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi! i was wondering if you had the PDF for the stencil for the front badge? im not so sure id do well at cutting the tape myself. i saw someone mentioned making the stencil in AutoCAD and converting it to PDF?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Dude, you could sell this really easy... I am sure people would pay for it!

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been wanting to do something like this for a while but my pattern/ stencil keeps coming out like crap. This came out really well!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts