ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any have any advice as to this kind of a setup. Are these small time tuners reliable, or should I just dish out the money for a company like Cobb. http://www.plasmatize.com/xptstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just bought an 06 wrx and am trying to plan what kind of direction I want to go with mods. Im just an entry level tuner and am looking to spend about 3 grand total. Thanks much!

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
I personally prefer the Cobb AP V2. I have one, I can afford the $600 and have the ability to flash anytime I want too, and call Cobb up on the phone for tech support. Not to mention there are a ton of vendors who support Cobb for protuning, they are a stand up vendor.

Cobb is definitely more friendly for a newb owner/tuner.

Opensource while effective requires more experience.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I sold my AP to go openECU. IMO the map im running is awesome, way better than the cobb ots. Its not harder to use than the AP just a little different. I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mine looks like:

Hydra > AEM > AP > Opensource
> Utec > Unichip > EBC/AVCR's > Nothing.

Piggy backs FTL. Direct flash or stand alone only
whaaaaa?

Why do you not like piggy backs? just out of curiosity.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
whaaaaa?

Why do you not like piggy backs? just out of curiosity.
Piggy backs intercept the OEM computers signal and recalibrate it and send it out. This process introduces lag time, albeit we are talking nano secs here, but there have been reported problems with this process with virtually every piggy back MFG. Piggy backs also introduce a lot more connections into the system, and in turn a lot more connections/circuits to be faulty, transmit the wrong signal and cause mechanical damage. For snow country and places where roads are salted, it only takes one small bit of that saline mix in the foot well to corrode and green rot your connections.

Piggy backs are fine in instances where a reflash is not possible as any computer tuning is better than no computer tuning.

With the Subaru ECU being reflashable so that the factory computer out puts the recalibrated signal directly, why would you want to potential for failure? In the Subaru world piggy backs are essentially obsolete.

All this completely independant of the outrageous price of a Utec.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts