ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to improve the overall handling/stability of my wrx before i do power mods. Right now i have 17s w/ 225 ES100s and B&G springs. What would be the next logical upgrade..I know a front strut bar doesnt do much..how about a rear?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
sway bars and endlinks 22mm but most are adjustable up to 24mm :)

thatll fix ya right up

do strut bars if you want. i did rear w/ shocks & springs so i dont have to keep taking that back seat out. no front yet.

theres also the ladder braces...

but i think the sways will really give ya what you need so start there

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info..i'll check out that sticky as well.

I'm coming from a Mazdaspeed Protege, which had really good handling for a fwd car..it handled like a go cart in many areas. but i know the wrx is designed differently than that, and would probably edge out the Mazdaspeed on a real road course.
It would just be nice to get back some of that confidence when i throw the wrx into a corner.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Did you get a good alignment after you put your springs on? If not that will help a lot. And I'm not sure what driving style worked best with the Protege but with the wrx, you might want to try slowing your entry speed a bit more and then starting to accelerate sooner. Use that extra grip under acceleration to your advantage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, an alignment would probably help, but I dont know if I should get that done at the dealer, or some other shop. The dealer might complain about my aftermarket springs and wonder why i'm getting an alignment w/ only 2500 miles on the car..lol

As for driving tips w/ AWD, I've heard many times that slow in/fast out is better on this car...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What negative side affects would there be to having a sportier alignment? More tire wear? Also, would a good shop know what specs to use to for alignment?...sorry, i'm still a newb w/ this car.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
unwrittenLaw said:
What negative side affects would there be to having a sportier alignment? More tire wear? Also, would a good shop know what specs to use to for alignment?...sorry, i'm still a newb w/ this car.
tire wear mainly.

some searches will yield some good target alignment specs. typically, people try to run -1 degree of camber and 0 toe.

dR

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
you can get an STi replica rear strut bar on ebay for about $19 plus shipping. The sway bar is more effective than the strut bar, but for under $40 its a good deal. There's also a guy selling cusco V2 replicas on ebay...i got one for about $70 including shipping...works great. Also - you might be able to get a 20mm rear sway bar for free if you go to a local Subaru performance shop or a dealer's repair shop if its a shop that does performance upgrades. usually they have so many 20mm they don't know what to do with them all...they usually just throw away the 17's.

i also hear a RUMOR (that means it may or may not be true so don't hold me to it - this is second hand info i'm trying to get verified) that Saab 9-2x FRONT end links will fit WRX's and they're solid metal ones.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the continued info..
How difficult is the rear strut bar install. And what is the size of the stock rear swaybar?

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
on 02-03 sedans the RSB is 20mm. on 02-03 wagons its 17mm

I believe all 04's have 17mm RSB's.

the STi's started out with 20mm, but switched to 17mm sometime between 04 and 05.

so if you go to a shop and ask for take-offs make sure ou get a 20, and make sure YOU have a 17.

rear strut bar is so easy it can be performed by a stunned herring. you might have to make some small cuts in the trunk liner to make it fit (on a wagon). I don't know about the sedan...might involve removing the rear seat, but I hear that's not so hard either.

just don't overtighten the strut bolts...they only need 14.5 ft/lbs

·
Registered
888 Posts
If you keep your toe at 0 you shouldn't have an issue with tire wear. Try to get you rear camber as close to equal from side to side as you can. Its not really adjustable but you can move things around some to adjust it. Use the front camber bolts to get as much negative camber as possible while keeping the camber equal and each side. You'd probably be best off finding out what some good alignment shops are from people who are in your area.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
blarg said:
on 02-03 sedans the RSB is 20mm. on 02-03 wagons its 17mm

I believe all 04's have 17mm RSB's.

the STi's started out with 20mm, but switched to 17mm sometime between 04 and 05.

so if you go to a shop and ask for take-offs make sure ou get a 20, and make sure YOU have a 17.

rear strut bar is so easy it can be performed by a stunned herring. you might have to make some small cuts in the trunk liner to make it fit (on a wagon). I don't know about the sedan...might involve removing the rear seat, but I hear that's not so hard either.

just don't overtighten the strut bolts...they only need 14.5 ft/lbs

Yeah i have an 04 wrx sedan..so they have a stock 17mm rear swaybar and to help reduce understeer, i need at least a 20mm?

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
well i have an 02 wagon.

I put in a 20mm take-off RSB, rear strut tower brace, rear solid endlinks, and a cusco V2 replica front underbrace to compensate for some of the OVERSTEER I was developing. Now i'm pretty neutral. on a sedan you may have slightly different dynamics.

a lot of people with 22mm+ RSB's complain (or are intentionally looking for oversteer).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I'm just trying to counter the understeer..I dont know if it would be good to get too much oversteer for daily driving. I only plan to autox once in awhile for now since this is still my daily driver..

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
With just a 22mm Helix RSB and a rear strut tower bar on my wagon, I'm getting a fair amount of oversteer. I may loosen the sway bar one notch and buy a front underbrace so the car is more neutral. Occasionally it feels a bit tail-happy in a fast turn or on ramp. :eek:

·
Registered
514 Posts
driggity said:
Did you get a good alignment after you put your springs on? If not that will help a lot. And I'm not sure what driving style worked best with the Protege but with the wrx, you might want to try slowing your entry speed a bit more and then starting to accelerate sooner. Use that extra grip under acceleration to your advantage.
Perhaps the cheapest, most effective adjustment available to reduce understeer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts