ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 wrx and I have been digging around for some answers and couldn't find anything. I want to get my car to around 300-320-340 wheel horsepower. I wanna know if the stock 5 speed can handle it. What parts would fail first? I already have a cobb ap. I was looking at maybe doing a turbo back invida exhaust with a catted down pipe. May be an intake? Is that amount of horsepower possible without a bigger turbo? Bigger intercooler/ front mount? Im going to do it in stages so what would be the best thing to buy first?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Look at what the STi has, Then buy all those parts used off the forums. That way when you get pulled over, The car will look stock. 5spd would handle it but that depends on the driver.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
As turb0 is alluding to, it kind of depends on what you're willing to do to your car. Are you worried about the warranty? Are you worried about modifications that may or may not be illegal in your area?

Typical first modifications are usually turbo back exhaust + tune. I would highly recommend a protune, no matter what you're planning on doing. 2011 WRX's have been shown to make power from an intake replacement, but they MUST be tuned for. For your goal range, a turbo upgrade shouldn't be necessary. If E85 is readily available in your area, you could look into switching your fuel system over to that, including pump and injectors + tune, and that will likely be right in your goal range.

As for strength of the transmission, always be gentle when you're driving. Remember that you have an AWD car, and that alone adds a lot of stress to the transmission gears and center differential. If you're gentle with the trans, always easing into starts, no abrupt gear changes or dropping the clutch, you'll see your clutch go out first like on any other car. However, if you abuse the trans it won't last long, and you won't like that repair bill.

Of course power measurements are always dependent on the dyno, so there really isn't any guarantee on what numbers you'll see with any particular mods.

·
Registered
283 Posts
^^ What about my http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/134344753-i-want-400whp.html

Anyways.. The OP can always head out to some of the local meets as well. Just to get an idea on shops and local enforcement. I'm not up to par much on the newer cars. But catback is where most start with a solid tune. Pretty much anything you do is going to need a tune now days. So keep that in mind.

Also make sure you have a mod friendly dealership around. In case you have a warrenty problem. Other then, just make sure to check your oil every other fuel fill and you might like to upgrade brakes or suspension before the motor. Car makes good power in oem form.

·
Registered
475 Posts
To the OP I'll chime in here some since I have a 2011 and quite a few in my area with some nice mods on them.

I disagree with Turb0 only on the Cat back+tune part since the cat back won't net you any real Gains. But most guys do start with the AP, cat back is popular cause the stock exhaust is not loud. TMIC you don't yet but some guy do FMIC would not be worth it for the 300 range.

If you want to be sitting around the 300whp mark Pro-tune or OS would be alot better and going with Stage 2. DP,TBE,Intake and stage 2 tune with e85 or pro tune you would be really close to that 300mark. that's my goal for the spring. good luck on figuring it out, keep us updated.

One guy in my area has 2011 and is stock with pro-tune and he around 260ish on 93oct did his dyno Sat was 258 was his best pull, He has spt exhaust that came on his car and his baseline on his car was 229 I think he said, so he saw nice gains, he has ordered DP, I think AEM CaI and going to re tune after he gets it in, his tuner seems to think he can grab him really close to 300, the wideband was having issue sat, so he still doesn;t has exact A/F but seems to be running a bit rich still.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts