Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, We have a 2013 STI with a Cobb built motor that was turning 490 HP at the tires. We had a major oil failure that caused the engine to fail and now I'm in need of a recommendation for what to do. The car needs a new built short block to be able to use the current rotating assembly. Any recommendations on what company to go to for the block and also the build here in Denver. We have used Speedy Roos for the last two years and they have the car now. The other option that I have talked about is to put a stock STI engine back in the car but we would need a full long block since it won't support our current rotating assembly. Any recommendations for putting either a used long block or to try to find a new long block? It's my son's car so price is a huge factor as this will cost a lot.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,756 Posts
You are looking 7-10k regardless of what you choose to do.

Any shop that deals with performance Subarus should be fine. I would contact iag about getting case halves.

· Super Moderator
3,430 Posts
I can attest to the price of building an STi. My 2012 spun a rod bearing last September and is in the process of being rebuilt now. 7-10k is accurate for a basic rebuild, you could be looking north of 15k if you go crazy with it. Since price is a factor, you more than likely wont be going crazy like I did. But if your current block was built, you do not want to replace it with a stock shortblock as it will never hold up to 490whp.

IAG performance, or outfront motorsports are the only 2 places I would consider a new short block from. Be ready, things get expensive quick.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help. That's what I was thinking as well. Without going crazy probably 7-10k for the build. It's a 2013 STI Limited with only 51,000 miles and in really good shape other than the motor. My other thought was to try to sell it as is with a really good rotating assembly with some high dollar equipment that would give someone a good start with a new short block. Any thoughts on what the car might be worth like it is? It's my son's car so he needs something to drive soon that's reliable.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
If we are talking strictly financials, it would be more fiscally responsible to replace with an OEM engine and sell the car. That car would be worth no more than $10K or so with a blown motor despite all other factors being in "good condition."

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Zax. I was thinking the same. With the rotating assembly in the car we would need to put in a built short block. Is there a good way to put a stock STI long block in the car to take it back to stock? The Subaru shop we have the car at is making it sound like that is not a good idea or may be hard to do

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.