ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know you all have lists and lists of modifications you have done, but I wonder.... If you had to pick one mod to the engine... what single mod gave you the best performance change for the scratch?
So if you had to get a new WRX and could only put one Mod on the engine. Which would you 'settle' for...
How much? How easy to do it?

Hope this is not a dumb question~~

·
Registered
471 Posts
Nitrous... to be installed soon. But I think this is the cheapest way to gain the most HP.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nitrous --- yeah, I guess that would produce some drastic speed.

EBC - is that different than a ECM? Or would it be more correct to say it piggyback on the ECM? Like a Vishnu Stage 0. vs. a MBC like Joe P.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bedabi said:
For speed => MBC.

For driveability => catless up pipe.
removing the block beofre the turbo to allow it to function easier and smoother... this makes the car smoother and more drivable?
Cool.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hoop said:

removing the block beofre the turbo to allow it to function easier and smoother... this makes the car smoother and more drivable?
Cool.
Yes. You will notice a huge difference in the feel of the car. The boost comes on a little quicker and the transition from non-boost to boost is much more linear. My car now feels a lot more like my '99 Maxima, whereas before you just slugged along and all of a sudden felt the boost kick in. If you do a lot of city driving, you'll really appreciate the difference.

·
5,799 Posts
Best bang for the buck, without a doubt in my mind is an MBC. However, if I could only have one mod on my WRX it would be the VF30. Big price difference. ;)

What is your budget?

-Pace

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
Hoop said:
Nitrous --- yeah, I guess that would produce some drastic speed.

EBC - is that different than a ECM? Or would it be more correct to say it piggyback on the ECM? Like a Vishnu Stage 0. vs. a MBC like Joe P.
EBC = electronic boost controller.

dR

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pace said:
Best bang for the buck, without a doubt in my mind is an MBC. However, if I could only have one mod on my WRX it would be the VF30. Big price difference. ;)

What is your budget?

-Pace
Not so much a dollar amount (okay under 1500) as much as a desire to leave the car closest to its original engineering design.. said another way... i want to do as little as possible to the car. only things that make a substantial difference. I am not interested in shaving 100ths or single 10ths of a second off 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Would anything shave a second off (maybe a half second) those times from stock that is easy (no splicing into electrical, I am more like a harness type, Vishnu stage 0 like) and removable? of course, nothing like this seems to exist... but what is closest to this ideal?

WRX Platinum Wagon short throw, turbo gauge amd most other options n packages

·
5,799 Posts
Hoop said:

Not so much a dollar amount (okay under 1500) as much as a desire to leave the car closest to its original engineering design.. said another way... i want to do as little as possible to the car. only things that make a substantial difference. I am not interested in shaving 100ths or single 10ths of a second off 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Would anything shave a second off (maybe a half second) those times from stock that is easy (no splicing into electrical, I am more like a harness type, Vishnu stage 0 like) and removable? of course, nothing like this seems to exist... but what is closest to this ideal?

WRX Platinum Wagon short throw, turbo gauge amd most other options n packages
You probably can't go wrong with a Vishnu Stage Zero. I think you have to splice the ECU harness though.

Stage zero has been demonstrated to shave about a second off the stock quarter times.

-Pace

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
MBC = Hauling A$$!!! It will take you 5 mintues to install but a few more to find a good mounting place for it. Go with the Joe P MBC and its only $50. I went with a used TurboXS MBC for $40 and I can't be happier.

But my best mod has been my TT since its built in boost gauge has a warning for oberboost and saved my motor.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
If I had to ditch all my mods except one, I'd keep my TurboXS unichip, but only if the ABC was included. Although my uppipe was the best bang for buck, the unichip completely transformed my car, and it's easy to remove and revert back to stock if I so desired.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Verdugo said:
If I had to ditch all my mods except one, I'd keep my TurboXS unichip, but only if the ABC was included. Although my uppipe was the best bang for buck, the unichip completely transformed my car, and it's easy to remove and revert back to stock if I so desired.
That uppipe sounds tough to get to to replace.. I would want/need to farm it out.. and it is so permanent. (takes long time to undo)

What is a ABC that you would want included? I found the TurboXS unichip, sounds great! (20% Hp lift with rear exhast, no mention of what, if anything, with stock exhaust) That would be really cool if you could make it switch on and off (back to stock mode)... Turn it on to play or smoke someone.

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
Hoop said:

That uppipe sounds tough to get to to replace.. I would want/need to farm it out.. and it is so permanent. (takes long time to undo)

What is a ABC that you would want included? I found the TurboXS unichip, sounds great! (20% Hp lift with rear exhast, no mention of what, if anything, with stock exhaust) That would be really cool if you could make it switch on and off (back to stock mode)... Turn it on to play or smoke someone.
The ABC comes with the TurboXS unichip. It's used to fine tune boost in conjunction with the unichip's boost controller. They say it's only necessary if you're at higher altitudes, but even at sea level, I've found that I need it to keep my boost up to 16 psi.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts