Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have recent war movies like Saving Private Ryan, or Pearl Harbor, by using more special effects and "realistic warfare" done more for educating viewers to the reality of war then let's say the older John Wayne style movies in which it seemd war was a bit glorified..nobody really got hurt and the good guy always wins

What do you think?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I agree with you.

During the "John Wayne" era, war was a gloried and dignified job.
Different times and different level of acceptance in what we see on film nowadays.

Remember during "John Wayne" era, movies was still in its infancy. Talking about B/W here, not color.

-LostLamb

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
I think war movies are played out now. It just comes down to how bloody and badass it is going to get.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have seen a lot of war movies, I have always enjoyed learning about wars I guess, took some classes about them in college too. I have seen more war movies then I can even count, and their are a lot of bad ones out their. But their are also a lot of good ones that either are historically accurate or show what happens socially and psychologically to people in war. I look at these movies as a reminder to just how horrible wars are, and sadly the only answer sometimes.
Speaking of John Wayne, I remember, I believe in the movie “Sands of Iwo Jima” it was one of the only (maybe the only??) movies where he actually died at the end of the movie. It’s the kind of thing people needed to see in order to realize just how cruel war was, and seeing their hero die showed that. He made so many war movies because he had great respect for all those who served in the military.
I think special effects have helped give a better idea to what war is like. If anyone has seen the Oscar winning documentary “Battle of Midway, The” (Filmed during the actuall battle in 1942) and then watched the newest Pearl Harbor film you will see that it really does show what war can look like. Some other films recently that I have found really good have been Saving Private Ryan, and the mini series on HBO, Band of Brothers. Also We Were Soldiers, and Black Hawk Down were very well done films. But their will always be some other war movies that just emphasize special effects and some big “hero” who wins the war, but every once in awhile something good comes out that makes you remember.

·
Registered
50 Posts
"Pearl Harbor" was the most disappointing piece of crap I've seen in a long time. Besides the tedious love triangle backstory (since the real events of the winter of 1941-42 apparently weren't considered interesting enough...:rolleyes:), there were huge continuity gaps and dumb mistakes. I bet there wasn't a single little league game going on at 7am on Sunday, December 7th anywhere in Hawaii, but it makes a nice film juxtaposition - the evil Japanese interrupting our national pastime, don'tcha know... I also went "Bah!" out loud when they showed big gasoline bomb explosions going off on the foredecks of what were obviously post-WWII ships. Anyone who's served in the Navy in the last 40 years or even lived in a Navy town like I have will immediately recognize the distinctive "flat front" superstructure of missile-armed warships...

OK, enough of that.

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
PNG said:
"Pearl Harbor" was the most disappointing piece of crap I've seen in a long time. Besides the tedious love triangle backstory (since the real events of the winter of 1941-42 apparently weren't considered interesting enough...:rolleyes:), there were huge continuity gaps and dumb mistakes. I bet there wasn't a single little league game going on at 7am on Sunday, December 7th anywhere in Hawaii, but it makes a nice film juxtaposition - the evil Japanese interrupting our national pastime, don'tcha know... I also went "Bah!" out loud when they showed big gasoline bomb explosions going off on the foredecks of what were obviously post-WWII ships. Anyone who's served in the Navy in the last 40 years or even lived in a Navy town like I have will immediately recognize the distinctive "flat front" superstructure of missile-armed warships...

OK, enough of that.
Actually I liked it.
It was good.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
PNG said:

OK, enough of that.
Yeah the use of modern ships threw me off too. And the whole love story was kind of sappy, but I guess they wanted to draw in a bigger crowd. No war movie is ever perfect, it can't be. In the end they wanted to make money like everyone else, but I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just bought the Band of Brothers DVD set. If you didn't see any of these, go buy the DVD's, they are great. Very realistic, good character development, great camera work and sound.

I saw 8 of the 10 on HBO when they came out.

·
593 Posts
Well being I was living back home in England at the time I managed to get a ticket to see a preview in Bolton. I felt for all the vets sat watching the opening sence of that movie. Many left. It struck home a sense of reality. To know that people where made to do that. And to see it actively played out.

Someone will make a true adaptation of WW1 and you will wish you never seen it. To see hundreds of men lined up jumping from the trenches as the run across no mans land being picked off one by one from the other bunker, Dodging mortor shells falling from the sky while trying to avoid getting stuck in the 3-400 men already on the ground from the last 10 attempts to charge the ditch. Its a bloody thought.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
id agree with that, but also hollywood seems to flood us with the same type movies at the same time and every 3 hour war movie has mel gibson in it, we were soldiers, braveheart, patriot

·
Registered
0 Posts
Regarding Blackhawk down, when i first saw it i thought it was great, then when i walked out after the movie a few of us started talking with this couple about how we liked it etc, and the gf is just like "he was there" and he had this hard look on him like he had just relived the whole thing, many of the guys who were there praised the movie for how real it depicted the event and didnt sugarcoat it. Same goes for Ryan and band of brothers etc.

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
IS there a johnny got his gun movie? It seems that movie wont be waterd down.
Also, Im really digging new war movies, have you guys seen episode 2, its fabalous!

·
Registered
907 Posts
WINDTALKERS KICKED...

ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick Cage is the man! Repeat after me folks, "Nick Cage is the..." :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Jtek said:
WINDTALKERS KICKED...

ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick Cage is the man! Repeat after me folks, "Nick Cage is the..." :D
I must respectfully disagree. Nicholas Cage can't act his way out of a wet paper sack. Every time I see him on TV, he's got the same vapid look on his face, and when his lips begin to move, I'd swear that what's about to come out will be "Daaaahhhhhhhhh"...

With that said, he was OK in "Raising Arizona". :)

·
593 Posts
I have not met one World War 2 vet who said he liked Saving Private Ryan. It sends a cold chill down my back when I think of that movie.

Even games are getting more and more real. Battlefield 1942. Man that is as real as it comes. One shot your dead. You have a body count of how many men you have and watch that sucker fall.

You might take a fist look and say its just another Wolfenstien. But its prity much as close as it comes.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm glad that the movies show more reality to war. It shows the real story and allows some of us to get a glimpse of the trauma these people have gone through.

In Blackhawk Down, I thought it seemed realistic in that you can hardly understand what the people are saying for all of the other noise going on. I've never figured out how they can hear each other over field radios with explosions going on. I can't hear over a cell phone sitting on a bus.

I thought that We Were Soldiers was an amazing movie. Incredibly sad. Here, the title was translated to We were Heroes, which goes completely against the point of the movie. :rolleyes: When the movie starts rolling the names of those who died in the battles at the end, all of the people just get up and walk out. I know it's just a movie, but that made me so mad that they were so disrespectful to those people. Where's the i-club monkey when you need it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts