Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im working on tearing apart an ej20 and trying to figure out what way to go. should i go for a stock rebuild. should i make it a stroker or destroke it and make it a rev monster? i was thinking stroker. because im planning on driving it alot. i was also wondering what sites and what parts everyone has had good luck with. i know its an open ended question, but i would like to know if there is any better places to get parts and easy people to work with. Setups that everyone has had good luck with. Thank you for your time and help! btw. a rod bearing is completely gone in the one engine so i know alot of cleaning. new oil cooler and i was wondering any oil system mods to help not have issues with bearings in the future!

·
Super Moderator
11,442 Posts
You'll want to contact the shop building your engine and talk with them about your needs and what they build and know.

Your best bet overall is buying a new shortblock from flat iron tuning having the heads rebuilt and the engine rebuilt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i can do the build. im a diesel mechanic, rebuilt diesel and a few ford v8s. so the internals are nothing new to me.

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
If you are rebuilding it I would at least put new forged internals in it. Manley is my choice for pistons and rods, as well as the choice for many performance shops like IAG, Prime motoring, and Andrewtech to name a few. ACL main and rod bearings are standard for rebuilds. Not sure what you are honing your block out to, but you will more than likely need oversized pistons. The new shortblock going in my STi has 99.75mm oversized manley platinum pistons (standard size for my 2.5L is 99.5mm, not sure if it is the same on the 2.0L or not)

Check out SMY Performance. They have a great selection and great prices with super fast shipping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are there better metals for the forged parts? if so do you have links for information so i can make sure i pick the correct parts. or does it matter for a fairly modest build?

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
Not quite sure that I understand what you are asking. If you are asking what type of piston you should get, I would highly suggest a piston made of 2618 material. These are typically used for forced induction cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not quite sure that I understand what you are asking. If you are asking what type of piston you should get, I would highly suggest a piston made of 2618 material. These are typically used for forced induction cars.
ive seen something between the 2618 and a different piston material, one expands more than the other or something like that. and something like you wanted the one with less expansion. i may have misunderstood what they were saying.

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
Here is a good article to read that explains the differences. Towards the end you will read that for turbo'd applications, the 2618 material pistons are better.

If it means anything to you, my STi is currently being built to make over 550whp and was built with Manley Platinum Series pistons, which are made from 2618.

·
Registered
46 Posts
well im working on tearing apart an ej20 and trying to figure out what way to go. should i go for a stock rebuild. should i make it a stroker or destroke it and make it a rev monster? i was thinking stroker. because im planning on driving it alot. i was also wondering what sites and what parts everyone has had good luck with. i know its an open ended question, but i would like to know if there is any better places to get parts and easy people to work with. Setups that everyone has had good luck with. Thank you for your time and help! btw. a rod bearing is completely gone in the one engine so i know alot of cleaning. new oil cooler and i was wondering any oil system mods to help not have issues with bearings in the future!

If you planning on driving a lot stock is best, I use https www.subarupartsdeal.com for all my O.E. parts really cheap with warranty.
But if you have a back up car to drive mod it out for sure I prefer a stroker motor myself but make sure they balance it you would be surprised on how much pistons and rods can very in weight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you planning on driving a lot stock is best, I use https www.subarupartsdeal.com for all my O.E. parts really cheap with warranty.
But if you have a back up car to drive mod it out for sure I prefer a stroker motor myself but make sure they balance it you would be surprised on how much pistons and rods can very in weight.
well this is like my 3rd vehicle. so i have plenty to get around in if something happens. i want it reliable with a little more go than stock if that makes sense. i like the thought of the stroker. or are there any other things to do with the stroker or any other ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i need some ideas. and some help. for shits and giggles i pulled the engine out of the car. it was a nostart and it didnt sound right while cranking, im not sure if timing was just off. rod bearing failure or what is causing it not to start. i hooked up my maxme scanner and i saw the cam position sensor reading every rotation and the crank was just on, the plugs dont look bad at all and i have some pics from my boarscope of the pistons to see what everyone says about them. i havent drained the oil yet. i need to get more breakclean to clean the oil drop pan so i can check for metal shavings before i take the oil pan to check for metal shavings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts