ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here it goes. i'm interested in rebuilding the stock turbo instead of a new larger turbo.

1. how much will it cost to upgrade and what exactly is done?

2. how much power will i expect? assuming full exhaust already done.

3. do i need to build this just like a stage 4 with upgraded IC, injectors, pump?

4. what about em? would this be a wise place to get a UTEC?

the reason for my looking this route is for possible cheaper price and just how quick the TD04 spools. I autocross frequently and the low end/quick spool will help me much more than the top end power.

But, if you think it would be wise to just get a new turbo, what would be reccommended? I'm sure I will hear "get the VF34" but there are price differences too. I'm just hoping that i can get around 260 whp without having to go to a new larger turbo.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
433 Posts
260 whp is definitely not gonna happen even if you port/polish the td04. I think the most ive seen on the stocker is like 240-245. To achieve those kinds of numbers(240whp on the td04) you will definitely need supporting mods as well as EM but I dont think that upgraded fp/injectors are necessary.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I was considering this too, but I saw dyno charts on the "monster" TD04 and was not too impressed. The only difference I saw was that it spooled 200 RPMs earlier.

1. Check out deadbolt Performance's website. They specialize in turbo rebuilding . Taken from one of their posts:

"The process starts with a standard TD04 WRX turbocharger, we tear down, clean and inspect the unit. Any parts worn or even slightly out of factory spec are thrown away and replaced with new parts. This means seals, gaskets, bushings, seal plates, etc.

The units then go through the monster porting process, which usually takes about a full day to do correctly, and includes “port matching” for optimal flow. Then any additional options chosen by the buyer can be done, special clips, compressor housing porting, etc." It costs aroud 400 bucks.

2. You should not expect too much of a gain. You will probably notice earlier spool up.

3.No. It will work fine on stock components.

4. It can run on stock EM just fine, or you could have it tuned for maybe a little more gain.

Rebuilding the bigger turbos creates a noticeable gain, but on the TD04...not much can really be done to improve it's performance.

If you want a good low-end turbo that makes more power than the TD04, check out the VF35. Spools about the same as the stocker.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replys. the price sounds right, but for as little increase i don't think its worth it. sounds like its better to go to a new turbo. i'm surprised though, i thought i'd see a little more than a 20 whp increase from a cobb stage 2.

if i would upgrade to a VF35, would i then have to upgrade fuel and IC? what about the good ole VF34? i think it spools around 3400 rpm or so. how would these two compare to each other and compare to the rebuild (remember i'm looking for quick spool)? sorry, i'm still learning about the turbos. thanks again

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
FWIW, I hit 253 whp (corrected) on the stock TD04 with a custom dyno tune from Vishnu, with mostly Vishnu parts bolted on to the engine (along with a JDM STi intercooler).

I know corrected numbers don't mean much, but I'm pretty sure you could get close to your goal on a PnP stock turbo.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not into 1/4 mile as much as autox, but it would give a good idea as to how it compares to larger turbos.

PoorAss, could you explain to me a little more what was done to your setup? And maybe some reviews. And can you explain to me "corrected" numbers? Thx

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
My supporting mods are in my profile.

"Corrected" means corrected for altitude. I dynoed my car up here at 5300 feet above sea level, so actual numbers are quite a bit lower.

Check this post out for a review of my setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts