ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some power steering pump issues. Usually only happens when its cold and upon turning. I was thinking of rebuilding the pump. Has anyone done this and is it worth the time and effort? New pump = $400. Rebuild = $40.
I actually ran across a post on this a year or so ago, but I cannot get it to come up in the search? I have read too much and my eyes are bleeding.

·
The Jedi Ninja
3,560 Posts
For $40 Bucks, I'd look for a rebuid video and go for it.
While your at it it would be worthwhile to do the power steering bushings.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,673 Posts
I don't know what "issues" means. Is there a leak? Fix it. Does the steering get heavy? Check the belt for slipping.

If you need a pump after all, find one from an 3leeT tOOner (e.g., someone that wrapped his car around a lamp post and is parting it out).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good call. I will do that. Okay I think its settled, I will go with the rebuild AND bushings and still save money! Thanks for the reply. Have a great night.

·
The Jedi Ninja
3,560 Posts
I don't know what "issues" means. Is there a leak? Fix it. Does the steering get heavy? Check the belt for slipping.

If you need a pump after all, find one from an 3leeT tOOner (e.g., someone that wrapped his car around a lamp post and is parting it out).

This is a great idea as well.
You'll always find great part out deals.
+1 SD

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I don't know what "issues" means.

"Issues" right after I said issues I laid out what the issue is? Tighten on turning. Mostly when cold. Those are the issues. I am gonna go with TownLine500 and try the rebuild. I could probably use the bushings too. Any extras I can squeeze in for under 400 I pack in there. Worst comes to worst I will give your used pick up a try. There'e enough wrecked ones out there, only problem is they still want a lot for the pumps, at least where I'm at. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SD_GR, just noticed that my post sounded snappy. Wasn't the case just came out wrong. I do appreciate your input and I know you do help out a lot of us here. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cflip2x - Hell yeah, that's the post. Thanks! I don't know why that wasn't showing up for me in the search! Also, to any one reading this later, knowing o rings I would go with buna.

·
28,673 Posts
SD_GR, just noticed that my post sounded snappy. Wasn't the case just came out wrong. I do appreciate your input and I know you do help out a lot of us here. Thanks again
Oh no problem don't worry about it. I am more optimistic about your pump though, I hope you won't actually need one at all. Good luck.

·
28,673 Posts
I'm still skeptical so I had a look. For a MY2002 US car, manual page PS-74:

In cold weather or with insufficient warm-up of engine, steering effort may be heavy due to excessive drop of idling when turning steering wheel. In this case, it is recommended to start the vehicle with increasing engine speed than usual {SIC}. Then if steering effort reduces normally, there is no abnormal thing. {Again, SIC}

(The semi-literate gibberish is Subaru's, not mine). You get the idea though.

I'm not convinced there's something wrong with your hardware and I hope I'm right. Other cheap things to try first are checking the belts and even replacing the fluid (though it's not a listed wear item).

If there is no juice visibly coming out the car, I'd do... nothing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm still skeptical so I had a look. For a MY2002 US car, manual page PS-74:

In cold weather or with insufficient warm-up of engine, steering effort may be heavy due to excessive drop of idling when turning steering wheel. In this case, it is recommended to start the vehicle with increasing engine speed than usual {SIC}. Then if steering effort reduces normally, there is no abnormal thing. {Again, SIC}

(The semi-literate gibberish is Subaru's, not mine). You get the idea though.

I'm not convinced there's something wrong with your hardware and I hope I'm right. Other cheap things to try first are checking the belts and even replacing the fluid (though it's not a listed wear item).

If there is no juice visibly coming out the car, I'd do... nothing.
Finished the pump. It goes in this weekend. I will update............................................

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Start a build log of you car and try to take as many pics as possible. As for gaskets I dont know I would pass on ebay ones unless you know the the brand just what I would do. Price the gaskets out somewhere else and see how much it would cost.

·
28,673 Posts
OK I hope I don't come across as a downer bu let's take another step back: Why do are you replacing the head gaskets?

I re-read the mod list. Firstly verify you've got a catless up pipe (visually; eyeball it). I find it unlikely you don't; people do that earlier not later and you're in the "later" mod stages with that list.

I wonder if you've got a custom map on the car. See if you can find that out. If you're using a generic map, consider a custom one. If you've got a custom map the car should be very fun right now, as is.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Start a build log of you car and try to take as many pics as possible. As for gaskets I dont know I would pass on ebay ones unless you know the the brand just what I would do. Price the gaskets out somewhere else and see how much it would cost.
Yeah I was thinking about that. This is a great site I would like to contribute where I can. I will start a new post when the parts come in and walk through the whole process. It may be a month or so before I get the cash up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE:
Rebuilt the pump! The steering has never been this good! Picked up a rebuild kit on ebay for $40.00 shipped. I could have ordered all the rings and bearing separately to save money, but getting it all in one shot was a lot less hassle. Kit came with all O rings, small cam type seal and bearing. While I was at it I put in the new braided pressure line. The steering is amazing now! I think that pump has been bad since I bought the car a few years back.

·
Sammich Makin' Pwincess
13,124 Posts
hmm. i wonder if rebuilding would be an option for me as well. i didnt even know you could rebuild the PSP. the issue i'm having is it's leaking, steering wheel shakes when i make tight turns or turns at low speeds, and whines when moving my wheel left/right while stationary & making slow uturns.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts