ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 bugeye with 265k. My yellow project. Dont know a lot aboit transmissions, see pic below. This was during a fluid change. Doesnt really grind, but drained to swap bad throwout bearing.

Should i attemptes to rebuild? Costs? Or buy a jdm transmission and jist swap it out. Its going to become my daily when i get it up and moving again. 4.11 fd or 4.44fd? 4.44 is a little bit more money. It will be mostly city driving. Very little highway.

Thoughts?

·
Æternum
15,163 Posts
USDM transmission will be a direct fit.

JDM transmission will fit but require other running gear including rear differential and odometer recalibration.

The 4.44 f/d will lessen the shock load on the gears, but significantly increase fuel consumption so be aware of that. The stuff that is marked "JDM" tends to be of questionable origin. If you are interested in the 4.44 f/d then consider a transmission from a Forester XT (will also require diff and tuning).

If I were you -- junkyard later-model WRX transmission. They can be had for $600 in reasonable condition. Hard to beat that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 4.44 f/d will lessen the shock load on the gears, but significantly increase fuel consumption so be aware of that. The stuff that is marked "JDM" tends to be of questionable origin. If you are interested in the 4.44 f/d then consider a transmission from a Forester XT (will also require diff and tuning).

Lesson the shock load on the gears?

Also the 4.44 i have found, comes with the rear diff.

Perhaps i will stick with direct bolt up as to not get in over my head. Thanks

·
Æternum
15,163 Posts
Lessen the shock load on the gears?
Yes. A higher final drive number indicates a greater mechanical leverage of the clutch over the wheels.

When subjecting the transmission to a hard launch or clutch dump, the greater leverage reduces the momentary load requirement of the gears themselves.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. A higher final drive number indicates a greater mechanical leverage of the clutch over the wheels.

When subjecting the transmission to a hard launch or clutch dump, the greater leverage reduces the momentary load requirement of the gears themselves.

bringing this back up... i found what appears to be an astonishingly clean 4.44 with rear diff and clutch. (the wrx already got a new clutch about <5000 miles ago when son put in 1st motor.

given the rear diff is included, i would only need to replace the speedo sensor correct?

i have looked locally for trans for the car and no luck here in coastal central florida so this appears to be 'easiest' and 'quickest' option it is looking like 1550 to my house.

your thoughts? i don't plan on doing much highway driving in the car. mostly milling around town, to and from work some days (about 15 miles round trip) if that means anything

1 - 5 of 5 Posts