ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The person that had my '08 WRX before me was kind enough to buy some nice tires - Firestone Tires 225/45R17/XL Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 94W BW to be precise.

However, at $150 a tire, I'm wondering if I really want to replace it with the same tire :screwy:. Or if I even need a tire that has a W (160 MPH) speed rating.

It's pretty much a low-milage daily driver car, no street / track racing.

So what would you recommend?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Do you see snow?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
Your preference, all-season or full summer?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I wouln't go with less than V rated, just because of summer heat.

Edit:
Didn't see your previous
Go with summer tires. For three monts with 75f you will be fine with summers.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
What's the difference? It's usually over 75 F all but three months a year here.
Summer tyres provide the most grip in warm temperatures, whether the tarmac is dry or wet. They are completely unsuitable for use in snow. They also just don't work well when the temperature is cold, regardless of whether there is snow. They will grip the best when it's not cold and there's no snow, and they will tend to wear relatively quickly.

All seasons are usable during all four seasons, including when there is light snow on the ground. They are not winters, so they won't be great for heavy snow, ice, etc. They are also not summers, so they won't stick as well as summers on warm dry tarmac. They are a compromise and as such, do OK under most circumstances while excelling at none.

If you never see snow and never see cold temps, summers would be my choice. If you see cold temps and/or light snow, I'd consider all-seasons, knowing you won't have ultimate grip under any conditions but the car will at least likely keep moving reasonably well at any given time.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Assuming all seasons, I'd not go with that tire even if I were to spend $600. If your going to spend that, get the pole positions, ziex 912 or proxes 4

I'll probably give the General G-Max or Kumho Ecsta 4X a try next as a more economical option.

Testing Value-Priced Ultra High Performance All-Season Tires

Oh and LOL at tirerack selling a set of RE92s for $1200 and it is the lowest rated tire. They give the excellent pole positions a bad name.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
A few tires I've seen:

Kumho Ecsta 4X KU22 - Z rated, $113

Yokohama S.drive - Z rated, $117

Any thoughts on either of those two?
Sorry I missed your post before I replied (walked away with the reply window open).

The Kumho sounds like a good bet as I mentioned. I doubt you will notice any less performance than the firestones you have been running. The Yokohama seems like a poor compromise for a summer tire, and you really can't run those in any snow or cold at all. If you want an affordable summer tire the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 stacks up much better. Summer performance in all seasons has gotten really very good anyway, but if you compare summer performance with a set of the Direzzas against the set you are replacing it is fairly significant.

Tire Test: Nine Affordable Summer Tires Take On the Michelin PS2 Comparison Tests - Page 6 - Car and Driver

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry I missed your post before I replied (walked away with the reply window open).

The Kumho sounds like a good bet as I mentioned. I doubt you will notice any less performance than the firestones you have been running. The Yokohama seems like a poor compromise for a summer tire, and you really can't run those in any snow or cold at all. If you want an affordable summer tire the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 stacks up much better. Summer performance in all seasons has gotten really very good anyway, but if you compare summer performance with a set of the Direzzas against the set you are replacing it is fairly significant.

Tire Test: Nine Affordable Summer Tires Take On the Michelin PS2 Comparison Tests - Page 6 - Car and Driver
Awsome! Going to see if I can find a pair of the Kumho or Hankook tires here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts