ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a search but didnt really get any answers.

is there anyway i can somehow... buy an autodimming rearview (maybe buy it from the factory or subie genuine parts..)

i know they come stock on some subies (regular wrx i believe)

but in the TR we dont get anything fancy soooo yeah.

thanks in advance =)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,224 Posts
Yes. Make sure you buy a mirror with the correct mount though. There are two mainstream mount types, and some mirrors will need an adaptor to fit.

You will also need at least one more part, if not two. The part you will definitely need is a small plastic piece that covers the wiring and snaps onto the mount. It's black and almost like an elongated triangle. Cars that came stock with the factory autodim mirror were supplied with it. The part number is floating around here and also on Nasioc (and I believe Scoobymods). You may also opt to get the factory mini-harness. This allows you to cleanly take power from the dome lamps.

Finally decide whether you want autodim, with compass, outside temp, and homelink. If you opt for outside temp, you'll need to route a wire from the mirror up to the headliner, then across the windscreen, down a pillar, and out to the nose of the car. Several Subarus have outside temp sensors and the stock location for the probe is tucked behind the grille.

Figure $50 for a used factory autodim/compass unit to several hundred for a new unit with all the options. Gentex makes several mirrors, for example. Again, check the mount and be sure to get the right one.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very helpful! thanks a lot :thumbup:

·
29,224 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
yea my mirror is like, screwed. basically it looks as if some dark liquid is covering half of it. rofl. good thing ish like that doesnt bother me i guess.

·
29,224 Posts
That's how mine failed also. I bought a used OEM replacement.

·
29,224 Posts
I think something like $50. They're cheapest used and from an early car, since those mirrors only have the compass and autodim feature. The most expensive ones have compass, autodim, temperature, homelink, and maybe map lights. Those can run several hundred $ new.

Find an upgrader or someone that's wrecked and buy something used. It'll eventually fail again anyway.

·
Registered
114 Posts
yea, i dont want to buy something too steep, old stocker will do just fine. i mean hell the thing still does its job. thanks for the info though..ill keep an eye out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts