ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I managed to hit a curb in my subaru wagon. I was coming round a bend an arse end hit the curb at bout 80ish hit the curb square on rear wheel.
I have done some damage, the camber of the wheel is backwards now lol, there is no judder or noise from it, nothing is jumping out at me saying im bent...
any suggestions please?
It still drives in a straight line, its just the camber, just wanting to know what ive bent

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Probably a control arm and strut but without seeing the car, it's anybody's guess

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Rear trailing arm.. the strut might be bent as well, depending on how hard you tagged the curb. Luckily the trailing arm is only $77 shipped (don't ask me how I know ;)). It would be a good idea to also take a straight edge and check the lateral links and everything to make sure they're straight.

Driving with a bent trailing arm will put excessive stress on the strut, so if you don't want to blow it don't drive the car until you get it fixed.

You should also have someone balance the wheel to see if it's bent as well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
MainFrame;2835210.. the strut might be bent as well [/QUOTE said:
Question .... is it possible to bend a front strut after hitting a good size pot hole? .... and if so, how would one assess that? I ask because my steering wheel has had a slight vibration every since hitting one and the dealership states that the tire and rim are undamaged.

Thanks ....

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Question .... is it possible to bend a front strut after hitting a good size pot hole? .... and if so, how would one assess that? I ask because my steering wheel has had a slight vibration every since hitting one and the dealership states that the tire and rim are undamaged.

Thanks ....

I suppose anything's possible, but unlikely to bend a strut without an impact from the side. Have you had your wheels balanced? Checked the alignment? If something is bent the alignment will be off.. or it could have thrown it out of alignment without actually bending anything. Could have damaged your tophat as well, or blown the strut. But if that were the case I would expect a clunking sound when hitting bumps rather than a vibration. Vibration is usually caused by a wheel being out of balance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no noise coming from it at all or any vibration, while driving you if your behind the car you can see the wheel is going in a complete circle, not buckling or anything. I will have a better look at it today, when i jacked it up and took the wheel off the hub was quite stiff to turn by hand...? No noise from bearing though.
It will be going in my garage over the pit to have a better look today.
Has any body got or know were i can get a diagram of rear running gear, IE control arm so i know what im looking at.
Cheers
Ricky

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
subarugenuineparts.com sells the trailing arm for cheap, and if I remember correctly there is an exploded diagram of the rear suspension components on the site when you pull up the part you want.

The trailing arm is obvious to spot though.. it's the metal part that trails back from the front of the car and connects to the knuckle that the rear suspension is affixed to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts