Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My WRX is stock except for 17 inch wheels/tires. I am considering buying a rear sway bar (probally Cusco adjustable). My question is will my car feel any different when I am driving in the city? If so, is it a really big effect, and what are the differences?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
To give you a simple answer: Yes.

It all depends on how hard you push your car. I installed a rsb (adjustable at 24mm for now) and have noticed quite a bit of handling difference. I can get a more neutral feel out of the car now, and the back end definitely slips out more under hard cornering when I lift the throttle mid-turn to initiate oversteer. I don't push hard often on the street, only on a few deserted corners on the way to work.

I will probably back the setting down to 22mm after my autox this weekend (in prep for rallyx the next couple weeks), then down to 20mm for winter. I don't think I'll need more oversteer once the snow hits the ground.

Jay

·
980 Posts
is the rsb easily adjustable/installable on your own? what tools are need to adjust and which are needed to install. im also planning on ordering a rsb soon.

-c

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
It is pretty easy to install. Now that I've done it once I can probably adjust it in <10min. A friend said "It will probalby take you less than a half hour if you are eating your breakfast and taking your time while installing the bar" It took me probably 20-30min to put it on. All you need is a few wrenches, I think in the range of 12mm to 16mm or so. Not sure exactly what wrenches you'll need, but if you have a socket set and a crescent wrench you'll be fine.

Jay

·
980 Posts
thanks. do you need to jack the rear end up? or is the stock rsb accessible from underneath?

-c

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But in normal everyday stop and go traffic will I see a handiling difference? Does it stiffen the car up? If so, is it noticeable in everyday city traffic?

Also what brand(s) are rcommended?

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
In stop and go traffic? No. You'll only feel the difference in corners. It's a chassis balance adjustment, not a stiffness adjustment. In a straight line you'll feel no difference.

I actually did raise mine when I did it, but the suspension has to be loaded when you do it, so I jacked it up, then lowered it down on some blocks to make it a little more comfortable under there.

Whiteline and Cusco are the most popular brands. I guess the only difference is bushings - the Cusco comes with slightly better ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The sway bars will help to keep the car flat in turns. I would suggest that you get the end links when you get the rear sway bar. They are a lot stiffer and amplify the effect of the sway bar. I have the Whitline front and rear with the Whiteline end links. Car is nice and flat in the turns. I will be replacing the Whiteline links with the Vivid ones soon. Look at them both and you'll see the difference. I hope to be throwing the ass-end around a little more....sliding is fun................
Check out our site, we have a lot of suspension parts, plus all the power and styling goodies.

[email protected]
480-966-3040
www.vividracing.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts