1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
1,991 Posts
When you do install it, DON"T overtighten the three nuts on the top of the struts! I broke two and had to take out the strut. A 30 minute job turned into a weekend by the time I got the right tools from friends....

14.5 Ft/lbs...MAX :D

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You just loosen the nuts already on the strut towers and use those right. Can the car be on the ground while those are loosened? Well I am getting both the front and rear strut tower bars. Later on Ill get Cobb front and rear sway bars....

Brandon

·
Super Moderator
1,991 Posts
BrandonWRX said:
You just loosen the nuts already on the strut towers and use those right. Can the car be on the ground while those are loosened? Well I am getting both the front and rear strut tower bars. Later on Ill get Cobb front and rear sway bars....
Assuming the sedan is the same as the wagon, yea. Your's are behind the seats, right? Mine are in the cargo area, so I have a trim piece I had to cut, and some sound deadener to remove. Take a look at the mods photo on the web page in my sig for a close up.

I just popped off the cover, took off all three nuts and the stamped cover, put in the end bracket (after trimming the trim :D ), put the cover back on, and tightened the sh!t out of them. Several days later, after Big Sky so gratiously sent me some spare studs he had, I took the whole strut out, compressed the spring, found that the hole was too big so had to take the whole thing to work and weld the studs in place, come back and put the whole thing back together, and carefully torque the three nuts to 14.5ft/# MAX.

Don't do what I did.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I might be concerned about fitment. It's a very tight fit/clearance for both front and back. My Cusco felt like the car was designed to have the bar in it, fit perfectly, no trimming necessary (although you have to pull the back seat to put in the rear bar).

-Andy

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmmm, not off hand, but my roommate's got a digi cam. I'll try and remember to shoot some for you this weekend (I've got Sat. off...).

The nicest surprise was realizing that I lost absolutely NO trunk space or functionality with having the bar in there...

:D

-Andy

·
Registered
94 Posts
vote for ebay one

i put the ebay one on my 04 wagon. the fitment was perfect and the brace seems to be very high quality. the ends are nice heavy steel and the bar is aluminum. my wrx handles soooooooo much better with it- cause its a wagon and has nothing back there for support.

anyway, some vendors sell the same thing- replica STI strut braces for about $70-80.

save the money for stuff that matters.

·
Registered
83 Posts
smorris said:
When you do install it, DON"T overtighten the three nuts on the top of the struts! I broke two and had to take out the strut. A 30 minute job turned into a weekend by the time I got the right tools from friends....

14.5 Ft/lbs...MAX :D
NO JOKE!!! Replacing the top strut mount sucked after breaking off the bolts. The bad thing is I broke it with one hand with a normal 3/8" wrench:mad:

Be easy on it. ;)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Wow thanks for the heads up guys...I wouldve broken it for sure. I dont think I like the idea of something that weak holding my struts in? :confused:

Well I ordered both the front and rear STi replica strut tower braces for a total of 88 dollars (shipping was 17 a piece from Cali)
Is it an advantage having both stiffening up the car or do you think the front one is hurting me (understeer). I also plan on getting the Cobb front and rear sway bar kit, with the tubular bars.

Brandon

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a front and rear stb, but I hear from some that they don't make a difference on sedan's. I also hear from some people that they do. The rear one made a difference in my car, but I don't have as much bracing back there as a sedan because I have a wagon. You got them for so cheap that I would definately put them on. If you notice any difference at all it will be worth it.

Aaron

·
Registered
94 Posts
no...

the front strut tower brace is more for looks. the struts are very close to the firewall in the WRX so its plenty stiff as it is.

i guess it may make some difference, but whether you feel it would depend on how and where you drive your car- aggressive street v. autocross, etc.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
BrandonWRX said:
Wow thanks for the heads up guys...I wouldve broken it for sure. I dont think I like the idea of something that weak holding my struts in? :confused:

Well I ordered both the front and rear STi replica strut tower braces for a total of 88 dollars (shipping was 17 a piece from Cali)
Is it an advantage having both stiffening up the car or do you think the front one is hurting me (understeer). I also plan on getting the Cobb front and rear sway bar kit, with the tubular bars.

Brandon
where did you get them for that cheap?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
If that's all that's holding our struts on how come they don't just up and fall off? That's dang scary!

-snowcat

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got mine on ebay for $77 shipped both fornt and rear. install was pretty easy and i think they make a nice addition to the car. Up next is swaybars...

·
Registered
83 Posts
snowcat said:
If that's all that's holding our struts on how come they don't just up and fall off? That's dang scary!

-snowcat
Well, the car isn't being held up by these tiny bolts. The car would stay on the struts even without the bolts there if the car isn't driving. The bolts just hold the strut from moving side to side while you are driving.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts