ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to get a rear strut tower brace for my 06 wrx. i dont want to spend alot of money, so i was looking into a sti replica on ebay. i came across this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-STI-02-07-REAR-STRUT-TOWER-BAR-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33591QQihZ006QQitemZ160214905455QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

seems like the guy has a lot of positive feedback, but idk if i want to go for it. i heard it could be hit or miss. anyone here have a brace they got on ebay that they had no install problems and are happy with? whats the name of the company or seller you got it from? thanks for the help guys.

-nick

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Go for it, for that price you can't go wrong. The strut tower brace is just a big metal tube with a couple of flanges on the ends. They shouldn't cost as much as some people charge for them!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Go ahead and buy it. You might as well get the front one to. I got both for $25 off ebay and they are great. And like Teflon said they're just aluminum bars with some metal flanges on the ends.

The rears are a little tricky of an install though, but not bad.

here's a link to my thread with some pics of them installed and a review on them:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=134288037

·
Registered
111 Posts
i got the ones off of ebay and had trouble putting out the front one. specifically the driver side... there is not enough clearance on on it to just slip right on you have to jiggle with it and then rubber mallet it on... rear was ok to put on... and the H-brace does not really have an effect unless you have aluminum STi lower A Arms... i did not pre-load my suspension either when i put it on... so i must do that... pre-loading is when you put weight on the car front or rear when installing the strut tower braces... but very little effect for normal driving... if you get into a nasty accident all they really do is just transfer the impact to the other shock tower and damage that one too

mike

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your suppose to preload the suspension with the install right? oh ya, and does anyone know the tq specs for the bolts on top of the rear strut towers.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
thanks for the info guys. snowflowmfg, did you know which seller you got your braces from btw? thanks.
I don't remember, but I do know that he had a good rep and was shipping out of southern california so I got my stuff the next day.

By the way, the install was relatively easy, I do recomnend the rubber malet though, but it's nothing extreme just keeping it snug.
Also you'll need to bend the AC line a little, but like I said, it's super easy and not extreme. Let me know if you have questions.

your suppose to preload the suspension with the install right? oh ya, and does anyone know the tq specs for the bolts on top of the rear strut towers.
Don't even bother with the H brace. waste of time/money, and just adds weight. buy sway bars instead.

Torque is 14ft/lbs. all around, basically just right when it turns tight with a ratchet. the seat belts are like 16ft/lbs. there's a decent right up somewhere, google it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, i just ordered the rear strut brace. i have an h-brace already, so i didnt need the package deal. wasnt really looking to do the front strut bar. i have sways and lowering springs already, so im just getting a rear strut bar because its cheap, and it will at least do something. so those bolts are only 14lbs? thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
very little torque...you will snap those studs...i know, my nephew that helped me install my springs did it. its something like 14 ft.lb.

edit:snow got to the answer before me...just ignore me

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
thanks, i just ordered the rear strut brace. i have an h-brace already, so i didnt need the package deal. wasnt really looking to do the front strut bar. i have sways and lowering springs already, so im just getting a rear strut bar because its cheap, and it will at least do something. so those bolts are only 14lbs? thanks for the help
yep, 14ft./lbs. for the strut bolts (subaru recomnends using new nuts but I used the ones on there) and for the seatbelt retractor (you need unbolt it to get better access to the strut tops) are 16ft./lbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts