Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the WRX rear diff. cover mainly intended for off-road use, or is it needed for snow, too?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The rear diff cover is for off roading or protecting the rear diff from something extreme that you might encounter on the road. Big rock, alligator (blown out big rig tire), or branch. Snow shouldn't be an issue. You can get the diff protector really inexpensively from www.subaruparts.com and put it on your self. It's an easy install.

-Jim

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The rest of the powertrain is pretty well protected. I would have to crawl around under my car to find any other week points.

-Jim

thechickencow said:
Plat,
do you suggest anything more than the rear diff protector for rallyx?

·
Registered
310 Posts
They make a full armor set for the rex to go really. All kinds of
shields :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
i'd at least want the diff protector. you don't want to replace your rear diff if you bottem out or hit some rocks... protection isn't expensive. go primitive front & rear!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Subaruparts.com used to sell the rear diff protector for $80, but I can't seem to find it now. You should really have this piece on your car if you plan to do ANY OFF ROADING AT AT ALL. $80 or even $100 plus your install time is PEANUTS compared to fixing or replacing the read diff in the event that it collides with anything.

-Jim

thechickencow said:
How important is the rear diff guard for rallyx? I haven't done any, but am wondering how big of rocks there might be, or ruts, or whatever.

·
Registered
50 Posts
One of the first things I replaced was the stock plastic bug-guard of a "protector" in front. I got a nice thick aluminum one from Lachute Subaru. Not sure what the site is for it. I also got the Subaru steel rear diff from my local dealership, Exeter subaru. Their site is www.subaruwrxparts.com. Another place to get both a front and rear is www.rumblesoftracing.com, they carry one for GDA's and GC8's. Primative also carries both in 1/8" and 3/8", IIRC.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
the Subaru diff protector covers not only the diff but most of the rear driveshaft as well...for $70 you can't beat it with a stick.

·
Registered
50 Posts
schischwein said:
Maddog...are you from the Montreal area? How much did Lachute charge you for the front skid plate?
Nope, New England. :) And I haven't the foggiest how much it cost, because I'm not sure what the conversion rate was at the time. ;) All I know is it was cheaper than the Primative Racing one. ;) If you contact Gooseman on I-club, he can hook you up. :D

-John

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Actually it's all good...I know the guys at Lachute(also where I got the car from...) I slowly getting my car built with them, but I never remeber to ask Julien or Ben about the skid plates(which I have to get soon).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Does anyone know how much the factory rear diff protector weighs?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts