Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed my front diff fluid (75-90) on my manual trans. 2003 wrx impreza wagon. I went to change the rear but can't get the bolts off (rust and yeah im trying all the liquid wrench i can get). How big of a deal is it to actually change the rear though? Would it be fine to leave it as is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Have you tried PB blaster, a large breaker bar and a bit of persuasion? Also it goes without being said start with the fill plug first lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
Yes, it isn't optional.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,475 Posts
have not tried pb blaster. have a good size breaker bar. nothing. wondering if i even need to do it.
You will probably need to use a sleeve.

Grab a 1/2" metal pipe that slides over a 1/2" breaker bar. IIRC, the 1/2" socket fits right into the square fitting.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
never changed it...runs like a champ and not noticing anything suspect...160,000 miles.

Yikes! It needs to be changed every 30,000 miles.. so I'd say it needs to be changed, badly. On the other hand, you don't have to change any fluids if you don't want, it will just greatly reduce the life of the unit. I'm actually surprised that it hasn't given up the ghost yet.. at this point (if you're planning on keeping the car) it wouldn't be a bad idea to just buy another diff to swap out when the time comes.

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
160k holy moly. Gear oil does break down. I'd be surprised it if has any lubrication properties left. If you have access to an impact wrench it will help greatly.

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
Oh my God. Change it ASAP

Zax I believe you're right about the 1/2" socket

I would recommend getting new bolts anyway in case you destroy them in the process.
Lots of lube, and heat might be needed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the car sounds brand new actually. i love it and it was actually parked 3 years while i lived abroad. the only real trouble i have ever had on it were the cats but all that is fixed now. everything is maintained religiously outside of the rear diff fluid on this puppy. it was my ignorance not realizing it had to be changed. i went to hope depot and bought a 2 foot pipe to try and help pry it off. will let you know how it goes. i am DEFINITELY putting on new bolts. i think this car has another 160,000 left in it the way it's driving. if this pipe doesn't get it off then it will give me a reason to get an impact wrench. im really hoping i don't need heat. not skilled in that dept. so will have to take it somewhere. thanks for the input.

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
Impact wrenches can help break bolts easier than a breaker bar because of the hammering so it's an option for sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well took an impact wrench too it after PBing it pretty good. i got the fill plug off but not the drain plug. it is/was really on there. i siphoned the oil out the best i could then replaced it. the oil that came out did not look bad at all. after 160,000 miles! looked like "honey"...i was expecting **** but looked great. guess that sealed viscous differential is clutch for the eh? anyhow, it's good until the next time when i will replace both drain plugs. fun times. i never want another car. the 2003 wrx turbo wagon is by far the best car i have ever had. why did they have to change...

·
Æternum
15,475 Posts
The main concern of differential oil is viscosity breakdown, not contamination. The color I would expect. You might not be able to tell, but it's very likely that the viscosity of the oil coming out was probably significantly lower than the oil going in. Luckily there was no damage. Be more vigilant next time.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
everything is maintained religiously outside of the rear diff fluid on this puppy. it was my ignorance not realizing it had to be changed.

You changed the transmission oil six times and never thought to do the diff?? Anyways, glad you got it off and at least most of the old oil out. It's too bad you weren't able to get the drain plug out.. last time I pulled the drain plug on my rear diff it was covered with pea sized chunks of metal.. :shakehead:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts