Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed Eibach springs on my WRX and also have Eibach camber bolts that I would like to install before I have an alignment done on my car. The instructions that came with the camber bolts are basically useless, but I think I have an idea of how I need to put them in.
I was wondering if anyone here who has done it can explain which side the washer needs to be on, and if the washer needs to be in any specific position when the camber bolts are installed. I'm just trying to get everything in place so when I take my car in for an alignment everything goes smoothly.
I'm not going to do it for another day or two so I figured I'd see what kind of info I could gather beforehand just to make sure that I do it correctly. Also, I didn't find any info on this anywhere else, so maybe if there is some good info or pictures here then it will help some others out in the future. Thanks...
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
814 Posts
I just had the guys that did my alignment put them in. They didn't charge extra, and those bolts are in there tight.. He broke one of his tools trying to get it off.

·
Registered
393 Posts
In order to get positive camber, you want the little tab to be positioned so that it points towards the inside of the car. Make sure you do this or the alignment tech will not be able to get more positive than -2.00.

daniel

·
Registered
174 Posts
are camber bolts needed after lowering my car. I just installed eibach prokits on my 05 wrx. just curious of it is neccesary

·
Registered
173 Posts
ImPrEzZaNoOb said:
are camber bolts needed after lowering my car. I just installed eibach prokits on my 05 wrx. just curious of it is neccesary
I want to know this too. I just installed prodrives( my04 wagon, stock struts). I don't know if I want to put the bolts in or carry them with me or forget about them. I want between -.5 and -.8 in the rear. Does anyone know approximately what rear camber I have now right after the install?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Without camber bolts you will get around -2.00 or even slightly more negative if you dropped them on eibachs. If you are using prodrives, I would think it would be a little bit more positive. But if you want to get to -.8 you will definitely need to put in those camber bolts and make sure to orient the little tab so that it faces towards the inside of the car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
do i need camber bolts for both front and backs.? where can i buy these. If i take it to the alignment store, can they install them? i am very new to modding cars, so i wouldnt be able to know what to do

·
Registered
174 Posts
what would be the best setup for the cambers? I am planning to get rims later in the future. Do i have to worry about anything if i get rims?

·
Registered
814 Posts
You don't need front ones... The front has adjustable camber bolts. If you are just swapping tires/rims you don't have to get realigned. Only if you are taking the struts or springs off (or hit a curb.). Do a search for cambers... I'm running -1.9 and -1.0 F/R. It depends on what you want to do.

·
Registered
393 Posts
tire rack sells the eibach camber bolts...that's where I got mine from. I believe that most alignment shops will not install the bolts for free. I remember big-o-tires charging $80 just to install the rear camber bolts. If you can, do it yourself.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Install

SPC kit from Oakos. One bolt one lock nut one 2 tab washer.

I'm at halftime. I have one in (I think) What is the function of that big tab? I understand how it fits, but I have no idea what it does. It seems to ajust camber you just turn the bolt, like you do in the front.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks good link. It did confirm that I got it on right. It still doesn't explain what that tab does. I saw in trhe whiteline rallysport article that the little tab is supposed to lock into the cam and turn with the bolt. Does it do this?

In the kit I have the cam does not extend far enough to catch the cam and "lock" It kinda follows but I wouldn't trust it as a visual aid. There is a little triangle stamped on the front of the bolt that tells you where the polt is pointing.

Also I don't see what it matters which way the large tab is pointing at install. The cam has full rotation and woulkd still go through an entire range of camber whether the washer is there or not. I don't understand why people say that you have to point the washer toward the wheel for positive camber. I can turn the bolt and point it at the moon if i wish. Again maybe the whiteline kit is different, I don't know.

My only thought is that on the box for the bolts there are a list of other cars it will work with. Maybe this is just the way it works on a subaru.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Can't speak to the other bolts (although I have to assume they are the same)- the tab does impact the direction the cam lobe turns. I had mine orientated wrong on my alignment- tab inward and the best (lowest camber we could get was in the -1.8 range- all the way up -3.0!) It finally hit me the tab was orientated wrong- we removed and and swapped it around- viola we could actually go positive (0+) if we wanted to (didn't) and got to my desired -0.8 degrees.

The cam is turning fully, but orientated one way it's giving you some neg to a lots, the other some positive to a lot.

Big Sky

·
Registered
138 Posts
Next time you get a chance to see one off the strut, take a better look at it. You will see two tabs on the washer, one for visual aid (the big pointy one in the pic), and you will see one that is going to be bent down on the inerside of the washer that gets inserted into the strut hole. This causes the bolt to spin off center, causing the lobe on the bolt to push in one direction or the other. Depending on how you have it pointed. If it didnt have that bent down tab on the washer, the lobe on the bolt would not due anything, it would spin like the stock bolt. Thats why the pointer needs to be aliened with the lob, or it wont fit into the strut hole.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Closer look???? I hope I NEVER see that bleeding hole again lol

That kinda makes sense. Question: Is the hole in the hub oblong? It seemed that the bolt was bent. That would also make the bolt spin off center. If that is true I'm starting to get it. This is like a divine mystery lol

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
In the rear the hole is perfectly round (unlike the top front)- that's the reason the bolt is undersized, to allow for the cam. Sounds like your having fun :) I never noticed my bolt to be bent

1 - 20 of 22 Posts