ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey i've been researching rims not in any rush to buy but i'm looking for more options so i can hopefully be a little different. i am looking for "real rims" rather than fakes or knock offs. i was looking for a list of rim brands that are good to buy but i couldn't find one so anyone help list real rims and maybe even fake rims to stay away from?

to what ive heard and seen

real/quality:
volk
bbs
enkei

confused on:
rota
oz
work

and whats is wrong with a staggered fitment..not sure if i even planned on doing it but i've seen hate on staggered fitment and Subarus

i've also seen people knock rota rims but what ive seen online is people hit curbs with them or not clearing the brakes

thankyou

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
hey i've been researching rims not in any rush to buy but i'm looking for more options so i can hopefully be a little different. i am looking for "real rims" rather than fakes or knock offs. i was looking for a list of rim brands that are good to buy but i couldn't find one so anyone help list real rims and maybe even fake rims to stay away from?

to what ive heard and seen

real/quality:
work
volk
bbs

confused on:
rota
enkei
oz

and whats is wrong with a staggered fitment..not sure if i even planned on doing it but i've seen hate on staggered fitment and Subarus

i've also seen people knock rota rims but what ive seen online is people hit curbs with them or not clearing the brakes

thankyou
I haven't participated in a designer rim debate in a while. Basically you are throwing away thousands to show a brand name. Very similar to buying Kraft powdered mac and cheese at twice the price instead of the America's Choice just because of the name.

I've never heard of a certain brand of rim making somebody hit a curb. Usually it's the idiot driver that does that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thats what i've come to notice but i'm still debating what i want to do with real rim apposed to fake. but ive heard arguments on the metals they use in the rims and such and quality

and for hitting the curb part i meant that people show pictures of rota rims that are destroyed as if it happened while cruising around but what actually happened is they cant drive and hit a curb. so whats so bad about the rota rims afterall? and i've seen lots of weight talk on rim setups

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
yeah thats what i've come to notice but i'm still debating what i want to do with real rim apposed to fake. but ive heard arguments on the metals they use in the rims and such and quality

and for hitting the curb part i meant that people show pictures of rota rims that are destroyed as if it happened while cruising around but what actually happened is they cant drive and hit a curb. so whats so bad about the rota rims afterall? and i've seen lots of weight talk on rim setups
There is nothing wrong with Rotas. Good looking strong rims.

Not the lightest in the world, but unless you are using the car for all out competition and need to eliminate every ounce of weight to possible gain the 1/100 of a second on your competition, you're simply wasting your money on ultralight rims.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Just curious, how did Work wheels (mostly cast) make the list for "real/quality"? Yet, Enkei wheels (forged aluminum) make the "confused on" list? I have concerns about the quality of the criteria....and the potential response (based on your username).

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
Enkei are OEM quality, as were BBS. I would buy either. I would avoid Work. Go figure.

·
Registered
882 Posts
God its so good to hear from people like you Trainrex! I am so tired of people always talking crap about knock off wheels and how lame you are if you have them on your car. I have tried to explain to these people that my car isn't a track car and I really didn't want to spend $4,000 on a set of wheels. I have put about 60k miles on my Rota DPTs and I love them, they are lighter then the stock wheels that came off my STI. And yes I know why the volk racing wheels cost more but its not like I replaced a set of forged wheels with a cheap set of cast wheels I replaced a cheap set of cast wheels with a cheap set of cast wheels hahahahaba

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious, how did Work wheels (mostly cast) make the list for "real/quality"? Yet, Enkei wheels (forged aluminum) make the "confused on" list? I have concerns about the quality of the criteria....and the potential response (based on your username).
to be honest i am really not to sure on the rims and still need to do more of my own research but i figured you guys would have a more knowledge on rims to help me narrow and/or widen my search on rims. this is my own mistake i guess. i thought i read that they were forged. i honestly don't know much on rims but on all searches i get so much mixed info. so i thought i would try here with people who know more than i do

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is nothing wrong with Rotas. Good looking strong rims.

Not the lightest in the world, but unless you are using the car for all out competition and need to eliminate every ounce of weight to possible gain the 1/100 of a second on your competition, you're simply wasting your money on ultralight rims.
thats what i figured. and i understand for the most part its a waste of money for my purpose but like ive said ive heard so many mixed reviews on whether its a waste or not so i was looking for more honest opinions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
God its so good to hear from people like you Trainrex! I am so tired of people always talking crap about knock off wheels and how lame you are if you have them on your car. I have tried to explain to these people that my car isn't a track car and I really didn't want to spend $4,000 on a set of wheels. I have put about 60k miles on my Rota DPTs and I love them, they are lighter then the stock wheels that came off my STI. And yes I know why the volk racing wheels cost more but its not like I replaced a set of forged wheels with a cheap set of cast wheels I replaced a cheap set of cast wheels with a cheap set of cast wheels hahahahaba
hahah yeah i understand what your saying

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
To avoid basing your opinion on bad sources, you should do some research that does not involve user opinions, especially if their goals are different than yours. 1) What are you looking to do by switching your wheels? Street performance? Aesthetics? Off-road? 2) What's your budget? IOW, are you willing to spend $2-4K on wheels? Once you let us know your goal, I think we can help....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I refinish wheels for resale as a hobby.

Reps and such hold no resale value. Pretty much guaranteed to loose money on resale.

As for "real WHEELS" (a rim is a wheel lip, not a wheel)

You're paying for materials, reputation, manufacturing process, weight, strength, availability, ability to have custom widths and offsets, amount in production, the ability to change a wheels finish, width, and offset without buying a new set, and RESALE value. They hold value as opposed to depreciating.

The last set I rebuilt.

Rial Daytona Race.
Powdered Centers, hand polished lips, 24k gold plated rim screws. I have roughly $2,000 into this set.

DSC_0241 by weber.photo.graphy, on Flickr

As for spending an arm and a leg on "real wheels," deals are out there if you look. I just bought these Work VS-KF's to refinish. $800 shipped 18x8.5 all around. Chrome centers

That being said.
Buy my Rota Torque R. 17x9 et30. That's the only reason I'm on this forum after all lol

Back to Euro/Nissan land for meeee

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To avoid basing your opinion on bad sources, you should do some research that does not involve user opinions, especially if their goals are different than yours. 1) What are you looking to do by switching your wheels? Street performance? Aesthetics? Off-road? 2) What's your budget? IOW, are you willing to spend $2-4K on wheels? Once you let us know your goal, I think we can help....
mostly aesthetics. car is for street purpose not abused but more for project and fun but goal whp tq is on its way to be 300-350. so performance is not really that big of a deal.

the thing i see a lot is many used rim tire packages going from around 900 to 1500 then i see bbs for 1500 to 2000. my budget right now is about 1000 but i wouldn't want to cut myself short and be pissed so ill hold off and save if the rims i want are 1800 but if i am spending that much then why not spend 2000 on the "better quality"/"flashy name" rims. i do not want to break 2000 tho and would much rather spend less.

just figured there may be brands that i should steer away from and that you might be able to help with the "real rim" brands so i can look at my options

thankyou

·
29,234 Posts
One thing to look for if one wants assured quality -- and something that, to my amusement, "euro-tUnErZ, y0!" almost invariably omit when talking about quality, is looking for that little TUV stamp.

How many of the "elite" Japanese wheels have a TUV?...

How many Chinese wheels have a TUV?...

Anyway, I'd use Rota too.

I'd avoid Volk and Work, but that's personal.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Are you looking for improperly fitted wheels that require fender rolling and/or major camber adjustments and trash your suspension geometry to get the flush look? Be honest; it will help. If this is the case, I believe Work does a great job of making these type of huge lip/"clown car" style setups.

·
29,234 Posts
Rials are TUV.
Rial have participated in dozens of Grands Prix, and since they are from DE, they are almost inevitably TUV verified.

Please avoid the swear filter.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I've had Rotas for a while, and they're a lot stronger than many people would lead you to believe. My only complaint is that they're heavy, that's why I'm about to be switching to Enkeis.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I apologize.

I'm all about wrong fitment :)

But I drive a bagged jetta and a SR'd 240 so that's just second nature

My torques weigh just under 20lbs I believe

1 - 20 of 31 Posts