Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking at the WRX ever since I sat in it in Europe in '98. Then getting closer to buy last summer after test drive, when I got a tax penalty that set me back, ouch! Now I testdrove a wagon (salesman let me go out by MYSELF!!) and finally decided on it (thanks to some posts on this forum, previously deciding between sedan or wagon). Now trying to decide on color (silver or blue, black looks awesome-I like yours, Jedimaster, but shows dust too easily) and on year ('03 or '04). How much of a discount would it take for me to buy an '03?
THEN, I get to try my colleague's TT! (Quattro and 225 hp turbo, 6 speed). That was an awesome car, a little heavy but I liked some of the "luxury" stuff (traction control, xenons, trip computer, etc). OK, I know, an WRX wagon is a LOT more practical than an TT and in my case it would be an used TT, couldn't afford a new one. Any comments between these 2 cars?? I don't care about dragstrip numbers, Im into driving on curvy roads and would like to be able to put my bike in the back.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Well if you are looking at a used TT, it probably won't be the 6speed version your friend has....as that only came out last year, in which a second hand would probably cost substantially more than a WRX. Now the TT has quite a bit of tuning potential, it has the potent 1.8T. While both cars sound similar on paper, similar power, 4WD, etc etc.....the 4WD(or AWD rather) is a very different system. Subaru is a back to basics mechanical system while Audi's transverse mounted engines call for Haldex systems which are essentially slipper clutch mechanisms. On the road(where it counts, rather than go deeper in teck talk mumbo jumbo), they feel rather different. So ultimately you have to make the decision on practicality and driving pleasure. There are plenty of tuners for Audi as there are for Subaru....and actually, more for Audi. As testimate to ultimate Audi performance, look at MTM in Germany who made a twin engined, 800hp, 200mph beast....Personally, I love my Suby....

·
Registered
700 Posts
The TT

correct me if I am wrong...but I thought the Audi TT was naturally aspirated....I used to think the TT stood for twin turbo..but I have been corrected many times by my audi enthusast friends...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Audi TT 0-60 time

I was reading on the audi America site..and they quote the TT 0-60 time at 6.7 seconds....???? 6.7? is that supposed to be fast for a 225hp turbocharged engine?? Man..thats crazy when a stock REX is somewhere between 5.4-5.8. Not to mention the TT costs like $10k more...crazy. I wouldnt buy one based on the numbers alone...plus they look like smushed VW beetles...

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
i sat in a couple of TT's at past auto shows and i think i was just too tall for them....they seemed to have blind spots everywhere...

i do like the lines of the car and there seems to be quite a potential for them with the available aftermarket...i still like the wrx for the money though...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
"seems kinda like a trophy wife's car."

Sure is in NJ.

-joe

·
1,379 Posts
Just to expand on what the schwein said, the TT's AWD system is set up such that it's basically a FWD until the computer senses loss of traction on the front wheels, in which case it feeds torque to the rear wheels. As such, much of the car's handling characteristics will mimic FWD cars. Many people find this feel... unsatisfying... in a sports car. By all accounts, the TT also comes with a whole lot of understeer dialed in.

Moreover, the TT computer isn't very friendly to advanced driving techniques- for example, if you use left-foot braking, when the TT computer senses the throttle and brake being applied at the same time, it thinks something is wrong and cuts power. :eek: There are a few other similar problems like this, I can't remember them right now.

Bottom line is, by most accounts, it's a powerful car, but not as competant in the turns as it might should be. If that's what matters more to you, I'd take the WRX.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
k91 said:
Can your bike fit in a TT? :)
Well, it definately looked possible when you take the wheels off. It fits in the back of the Integra with just one backseat folded and wheels off, takes me about...mmm..45 seconds.

It's just that I had such a big grin on my face when driving the TT, then yesterday I tried the 350 Z and....it wasn't as satisfying but still quite fun, felt a little heavy and defiantely couldn't fit a bike in the back, but again, nice with some "luxury" stuff ( xenons, trip computer).
I thought the TT225 0-60 time was in the low 6's?
But yeah, it'll be a WRX still. And besides, Audi doesn't compete in WRC. Sure they had Mikkola and one of my all time favorites, Michelle Mouton but that was quite a few yrs ago. And finding a TT225 for WRX money will be hard, it'd have lots of miles.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
0-60 time is all about bragging rights. One of the main reasons the WRX gets such a low time is the short first gear that gives manic launch. At the same time, everyone complains about not being able to get into first gear until low speed, rendering useless most of the time or until you stop. With a taller first, you can effectively use it in a tight switchback...and I'd gladly give up the low 0-60 for such a taller first on the WRX.
Sure Audi doesn't compete in WRC....but Skoda does. Besides, Audi competes in LeMans, DTM and the like.
No one can tell you what car to ultimately buy. In the end, it's not about which car is faster because any car can be made to go fast and there'll always be a faster car than yours. Choosing a car is about what you get from the car and how it communicates with you and which puts the biggest smile on your face. Just a year ago, the WRX was the newest, coolest thing on the block and many people bought it without really enjoying and/or knowing it for what it is. Choose the car that makes you happiest on the road, track or wherever you drive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
schischwein said:
Choose the car that makes you happiest on the road, track or wherever you drive.
Like he says buy what you like :) Of course, you'll get slightly biased opinions here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts