ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help understanding my boost gauge. This is my first car that has had a turbo. I got it used from a dealership so I had no way of contacting the previous owner. I have color coded where I'm getting the readings for it. Below is a key. Any help would be great.

Red = where it sits when it is idling or there is no pedal applied
Yellow = where it sits during normal driving (i.e. when the cruise control is set)
Green = where it is during spirited acceleration

Where the needle is sitting in the photo is where it is at when the car is off, just to clarify.

If anyone has any other questions let me know. Sorry if the photo is big, I wanted yall to be able to see it clearly.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That definitely helps

·
Registered
141 Posts
MPa is just another unit of measure for pressure. .15 MPa is about equal to 22 PSI. You have maximum vacuum at idle - the turbo isn't forcing air into the engine, it is sucking in the air it needs. Cruising is a similar situation, not a lot of load on the motor so you're not in boost. During acceleration, high load so high boost. Everything looks normal.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Your car reads in MPa, rather than PSI/inHg like many other gauges...

Green is ~13psi, which is good for a stock car.

Yellow is ~15inHg, which is normal. It likely fluctuates.

Red is ~20-25inHg, which is typical.

Only thing really "off" is that it isn't zeroed-out when off...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
It should be at 0 when its completely off...for me it was when I had that gauge.

The idle part seems ok

Is that your max boost you're hitting?

It makes life so much easier to not convert MPa to PSI...let me know and I'll hook you up on a deal for a boost gauge and maybe an ATi cluster holder like mine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that is that max boost I am hitting. I was wondering about it not sitting at 0 when it was off. I might hit you up on that Kronos

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool. Is there any particular gauge that you recommend? Will it require any new sensors or can I just replace the gauge?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Cool. Is there any particular gauge that you recommend? Will it require any new sensors or can I just replace the gauge?
You may either need to run a new vacuum line or find an adapter that connects to the back of the boost gauge. Its nothing extremely hard but just something to be aware of if you get the same one I got.

Here is my setup:

ATi 02-06 WRX/STi 52mm Steering Column ePod ATi 02-06 WRX/STi 52mm Steering Column ePod [ATI-25EJ2-EPOD-52] - $94.99 : Kronos Performance, Leading since 6th Century BC

Autometer Ultra-Lite 52mm 35 PSI Mechanical Boost Gauge [4304] - $65.60 : Kronos Performance, Leading since 6th Century BC

If you decide to go with it, PM me and I'll give you a free shipping coupon.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
My stock boost gauge doesn't zero out as it should, either. I see the same points during driving, except for full boost. My turbo/tune situation is probably a little different from yours.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Only thing really "off" is that it isn't zeroed-out when off...
The outside air pressure can vary quite a bit from day to day, and if that gauge is actually updating while the car is off (not sure if an "analog" gauge would), that could explain the difference....

·
48,699 Posts
Over the last 6 years, my stocker has fallen to the same incorrect point regardless of ambient pressure. The kinds of variation that you're talking about are quite tiny when compared to what the gauge is designed to measure.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
The gauge might have a zero adjustment on the back.

·
48,699 Posts
But then I would have to recalibrate my brain. :eek3:

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,230 Posts
It makes life so much easier to not convert MPa to PSI...let me know and I'll hook you up on a deal for a boost gauge and maybe an ATi cluster holder like mine.
That's relative. I'd bet more people understand metric units than pounds or inches. The pascal is a derived SI unit, whereas the PSI makes little, if any, sense, so Subaru did the right thing in expressing pressure with the correct units (their MPH speedo is a concession to $ I think). The PSI is still widely used for tyre pressures and such but things would be tremendously simpler if things like the PSI, pounds, inches, and so on would be consistently expressed in SI or even everyday metric units.

I'd encourage the OP to increase use of SI units.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay another noob question. I got my gauge and new cluster holder Monday and I plan on installing them today after work. Is it wise to unhook the battery when working with the lights for the gauge or will it be safe to not worry about unhooking it?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Okay another noob question. I got my gauge and new cluster holder Monday and I plan on installing them today after work. Is it wise to unhook the battery when working with the lights for the gauge or will it be safe to not worry about unhooking it?
It will probably safe but it's always better to unhook the battery when doing any electrical work.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts