Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: Replacing Brake Fluid

Manual says to change out the brake fluid at 30,000 miles . . . oops . . . I'm at 33,000 miles.

How important is it to swap out the brake fluid according to the manual? My car is a daily driver . . . not modified, never auto crossed and to be quite frank I have a pretty easy commute with mostly highway miles so there isn't a lot of spirited driving.

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
I flush mine when I change pads but I have access to a power bleeder. I don't know exactly what begins to break down with brake fluid, or if it does, but I would do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
It takes up water, which could potentially boil and make a bubble that would cause your brakes to get soft. That is pretty extreme though. The moisture could also affect brake parts.

I just did the fluid on my bike - I had assumed the PO had kept up with it somewhat, but I literally had to wipe goo out of the reservoir.

I find the hardest part of the process is finding some tubing that will fit over the bleeder. If you don't have an assistant etc. you can probably just crack one open and let it gravity feed for a while (keeping a good eye on the reservoir).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts