Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: New England Forest Rally

Looking forward to going again this year in another week . . . and looking forward to meeting up with some friends that I made last year from MA (Wicked Nasty).

Anyone else planning on going?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pastrana wins! Close race with Higgins.

The two "local" crews I was rooting for did not do so well. Last Ditch Racing in the Bangor Area ran one stage . . . a little more than 4 minutes before a mechanical gremlin sidelined them for the rest of the race despite a marathon-like effort to get the car rolling again.

Meanwhile, the friends I met at last year's rally -- Wicked Nasty Motorsports from Massachusetts -- had a great first day run as they were something like 2nd place in their class and 8th overall. That all ended on Day 2 however when they went into a tree at 108+ mph. Car was totaled . . . co-driver seriously hurt (although fortunately not life threatening.)

Race itself was great.

Spent the first day at two stages . . . got there plenty early to set up my string of Portuguese flags to show support for Wicked Nasty. Next year I think I might get there even earlier to get a prime spot where the cars tend to go airborne . . . speaking of which saw Pastrana's co-driver take a trip to the hospital via the ambulance after having some type of back issue.

Ended the day at Parc Expose by checking out the cars as they came back . . .

Day Two I started at Parc Expose . . . then headed out to watch two back to back stages with the family of Wicked Nasty . . . except they had to leave when they were notified of the accident. After the stages were done we (my buddy, his son and I) were able to go to the final stage to watch the surviving cars finish out the day.

Random thoughts . . .

Subaru pretty much dominates the race . . . with a handful of BMWs, Fords and a few other cars.

Saw an old Subaru Loyale screaming through the course . . . forgot about those old Subarus with the spare tire in the engine compartment.

A Baja-style Frontier was in the race. It was a bit disappointing performance wise as rally racing must be a lot different from a desert race as this truck moved rather slow compared to most other cars.

A nearly stock RAV4 did pretty well in the race.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts