ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

just got a set of rays lugnuts, but i was wondering how does the locking aspect work, i've got the standard set of suby lugs on right now.

just looking at them it doesnt look like its the best security-wise. i popped the regular lug into a tire iron and it fits, but the lock lug seems a tad bigger so it doesnt fit, you need the key it comes with, but... it seems if you had the right size socket or even some kinda universal socket thing you would have no problem taking off the locking lug. :confused:

any similar experiences with these?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
The "locking" one keeps the lazy thief away- a good one can get it off- just a big pair of vice grips would get it.

I don't know of any truely "locking" lugs, I bought my Ray's becasue they're light- very light (oh and they match my TE37's very nicely!)

Big Sky

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I dont mess around with locking lug nuts... say you pop a tire and for some reason do not have the "key"... you're screwed or you jam a socket on there and wrench it off.

Happened to my friend, but during an off-road excursion... lucky for him, I was around with a full sized spare for him and a full tool set. We used a rock to pound the socket on and wrenched it off.

You save a lot of weight and they look cool, but its not worth it! More trouble than good, IMO. And say Big Sky WRX wanted to steal your wheels, he can cuz he has the same set. Its only good protection against lazy and uninformed thieves. However, if you really want security, I know someone who purchased 5 different sets of wheel locks... what a nightmare that must be to remove. Still possible to remove with my mobile tool kit though... just takes a lil bit longer.:tongue:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah its amazing how light they are, they look alot heavier.

i was just a bit put off because i paid a good amount for these suckers and seems like they have crappier locking ablility than the ones that come stock. but they look cooler. :tongue:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Any tire shop has a splined socket that is also tapered. A couple whacks with a hammer and it bits onto wheel locks like a great white. Wheel locks are mostly a waste these days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts