Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, when I decided to get new wheels, I had to make the difficult decision of which ones to pick. I had my search narrowed down to Rays (aka Volk) Gram Lights, and their knock-offs, the Rota Attacks. Both wheels came in the exact same sizes, offsets, and color (gunmetal). When looking at catalogs and web pages, the wheels appear identical except for the "Gram Lights" that is painted on one spoke of the Rays.

I ended up choosing the Gram Lights, and I'm very pleased with my decision, because I had a chance to see them right next to the Rotas at a Subaru meet on Saturday. There were two silver WRX's with gunmetal Rota Attacks, and my silver WRX with gunmetal Gram Lights.

Apparently both companies have different ideas as to what gunmetal is, and I much prefer Rays' idea. Their gunmetal is sort of dark blueish grey, and Rota's is dark greenish grey, very much like the paint on a real gun, but who wants greenish wheels? Besides that, the Rotas look pretty sloppy, but I can't quite describe why, so you can take that for what it's worth (not much).

So...my point...don't buy Rotas, buy Rays! :D

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Yeah, and I'll be getting SILVER Attacks, so I could give a crap what the gunmetal looks like.

Not to mention the fact that the attacks weigh in at 15.5lbs and the Volks at 17lbs!

It's no contest, the Rota's are a MUCH BETTER value!

-Jim

·
Registered
932 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
Yeah, and I'll be getting SILVER Attacks, so I could give a crap what the gunmetal looks like.

-Jim
Yes! Yes! I just ordered silver Attacks today! $500 + tax.

Mine will be the silver WRX with "SUBARU" on the trunk.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey hey sloooow down! I'm sure that silver Rotas are just fine. I just think that the gunmetal ones are yucky.

The 17" Attacks are 15.5 pounds? Is that possible? Wouldn't that make the gram lights not actually light?

By the way, I paid $1500 for mine, with Kuhmo Supra Ecstas.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Bask Oner said:
The 17" Attacks are 15.5 pounds? Is that possible? Wouldn't that make the gram lights not actually light?

By the way, I paid $1500 for mine, with Kuhmo Supra Ecstas.
$1500 for the rims and tires? Not that bad. But still too rich for my blood. For $1500 I could get the Attacks and Kumhos and still have about $700 dollars for real performance mods.

Yes, the Attacks are 15.5 lbs. I've handled them myself and they are LIGHT!!! Well, not SSR Competition light of course, but light and CHEAP!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm probably getting Subzeros in gold for my sedan, and have total confidence now that Gary is using them on his RACE CAR!!! Very exciting to find a light, good looking set of wheels like this for less than $200 a corner!! I can't wait, I think I'm gonna take the money I save over Superleggeras and buy Michelin Pilot Sports for them!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't wait until my 225 Kuhmos run out so I can get 215 Pilot Sports and lower my wagon a bit.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Well...when it comes to japanese products vs. other, you get what you pay for. I would go for the gram lights even though they cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nexus6 said:
Well...when it comes to japanese products vs. other, you get what you pay for. I would go for the gram lights even though they cost an arm and a leg.
That's what I'm talking about! The quality difference is really obvious when you compare them side by side.

·
Registered
59 Posts
umm I ran over copper piping with my rotas...not a bend etc., just WHAM right over.

I had advans on my FC RX7 (RIP...pushed from the back into traffic by a drunk guy in a F250)

I accidently ran up a curve...BENT the wheel

more $ doesnt = better quality

Rotas are damn fine wheels.. and who cares about the color?!!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have bronze Attacks on my silver wrx, and they look badass. You can't even tell that I never wash them ;) Now as for the car itself, that's a different story...:(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts